KEANU REEVES - Loves & Loathes
by Susan Granger
He's lived all over the world and is known as a risk-taker, gamely plunging into wildly different roles. He's just completed two new films: "The Last Time I Committed Suicide" and "Devil's Advocate."
* My exotic name - Keanu means "cool breeze over the mountains" in Hawaiian. My father is part-Hawaiian and my mother is English, and I was named after my great-great-uncle.
* My nickname - When I was a goalie on a hockey team, everyone called me "The Wall". It stuck.
* My band, Dogstar - There are so many great moments when you're in a band: rehearsal, performance, being with friends, expressing ideas through music, hanging out together and free beer!
* Motorcycles - I have five. I keep them all in different places. One's in Massachusetts, another is in Canada, one is in Georgia and the other two are in LA.
* Hamlet - It's the absolute role, an actor's dream. It has everything - rage, love, confidence, doubt, treason, desire, spirituality. When I played Hamlet in Canada, our production emphasised the emotion and the pure tragedy. I was so shattered I would rush backstage between scenes and inhale oxygen from a tank.
* My star sign - I'm a Virgo. It's in my sign to be hard on myself, but that's not a bad quality.
* Romance - It's about giving joy to someone you love and giving something you know that they love as well.
* Al Pacino - He stars in Devil's Advocate and he's the man - a wondeful, incredible actor.
* My adaptability - I've worked at an ice hockey rink sharpening skates, and I've made 50kg of pasta a day at an Italian restaurant. I can do what I have to do.
* My privacy - I'm like Mickey Mouse. No-one knows who's inside the suit.
* Bulking up to 90kg for my latest role - I drank beer, wine and Scotch. It was the most fun I've had in ages.
* My new car - I have bought the closest car you can get to a motorcycle: it's a black 1996 Porsche. I got it just to relax, or for when it's wet. I play sport so I have to lug my equipment about somehow. I'm an old man now and I get tired, so I got a car to give me a rest.
* Being hemmed in - When I don't feel free and can't do what I want, I rebel against it. That's why I don't have a home. I live in hotel rooms. When I travel, I take a single suitcase with a few pairs of pants, some T-shirts, socks, underwear and a pair of shoes.
* Criticism about my intellect - I'm a meathead, man. You've got smart people and you've got dumb people. I just happen to be dumb. I've never played stupid to keep someone at a distance. Either it's been a genuine failure to articulate on my part, or just me being naive.
* Slights about being an actor - I'm sorry my existence is not very noble or sublime.
* Arrogance - I was once invited onstage to jam with the great blues artist Buddy Guy, but I respectfully declined. I didn't feel worthy. There's something wrong with that kind of arrogance. I don't have that kind of confidence in my abiltiy.
* Sequels - I chose not to do a sequel to Speed. I'm just not into them.
* School - The only course I didn't fail was Latin. It was the one subject I liked. My attendance record was appalling and I was lazy. I knew I wanted to act when I was halfway through grade 11, I guess, and school wasn't ever important.
* The internet - I know there are lots of websites devoted to me, but I haven't got a computer and I have never visited the sites.
* Marriage - My parents split up when I was young and I've seen nothing to recommend marriage. The only woman I see regularly is my sister, Kim.
* People mispronouncing my name - It can't be that hard to pronounce, but you would not believe how people mangle it. Phonetically, it is Key-ah-noo.
* My father's history - He was sentenced to serve 10 years in prison for possessing cocaine in 1994. I guess a lot of who I am, is a reaction aginst his actions.