LucaM
2009-11-27 02:45

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
found this
http://holyhell.wordpress.com/2009/11/22/deacons-dvds-spoiling-it-for-you/

... and couldn't stay away.
for the simple fact that I like the movie's ending.
wish they'd kept other parts of the script, but not that one.

and on second thought... maybe I shouldn't have given away the link to WINM ? Ani, what's your policy in such cases ?

LucaM
2009-11-27 06:30

http://drspiff.livejournal.com/489362.html

this one liked the ending :D
guess it takes all kinds...

he's still a fish, though. so... feel free ;)

seer
2009-11-27 08:24

Forum Posts: 330
Comments: 131
Reviews: 0
Well I left my bits, for what they're worth ;).
Anakin McFly
2009-11-27 10:54

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1

and on second thought... maybe I shouldn't have given away the link to WINM ? Ani, what's your policy in such cases ?

Give away. :D The more publicity, the better.
LucaM
2009-11-27 19:07

Well I left my bits, for what they're worth ;)

you've done a much better job than I could ;) :D

LucaM
2009-12-01 22:50

http://samaxreviewsmovies.blogspot.com/2009/11/you-could-tell-he-wasnt-playin-by-look.html
inkhuldra
2009-12-27 01:20

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
An interesting little forum discussion about Keanu's Chinese lines in TDTESS:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/showthread.php?t=27217

LucaM
2010-01-28 01:36

http://fingerquotes.wordpress.com/2010/01/25/the-day-the-earth-stood-still-2008/

... just don't bite the guy's head off. I tend to agree with his opinions about moviegoers ;)

ShadowSpark
2010-02-28 11:07

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33
Well, I don't have a link to post, but I do have a few comments. I have to say that, having just watched both the 1951 black and white original, and the 2008 remake, the original is a much better movie. I do NOT blame Keanu's acting for the disappointment of the remake. I blame the directors and the writers - I agree with the guy in the first link on that point. They could have done a lot better. That's all I have to say.

Spark

Anakin McFly
2010-02-28 11:08

ADMIN

Yep, same here.
ARYA
2010-04-03 04:40

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I just watch 2012 for the first time and really, TDTESS is a much better movie. It will stand the test of time (original does not). It's a wonderful movie for the whole fam to view together (kids 9 & over). Reinforces nicely, the ugly truth that people are what made the mess of the planet. And maybe change for the better is possible when pushed to the wall.
I talked to a person that speaks that dialect of chinese and she said keanu done good. I found that scene with James Hong very moving. The end also very moving with Klaatu going into the cloud to get to the sphere, kneeling...prostrating...and reaching up to touch the sphere and speak the classic words, Klaatu Barata Nikto.
I view it often and I believe erwin was right when he said that keanu would be a perfect klaatu.
LucaM
2010-04-03 05:13

errr... correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 'Klaatu barada nikto' phrase was said earlier in the movie; in the Central Park scene , when Klaatu is shot and Gort wants to step into action...

I too believe Erwin was right about that.
Unfortunately he was less right about remaking the movie in the first place...

ARYA
2010-04-03 06:02

He said it early in the film Luca, and then at the end too. It was all about making Gort cease and desist. Watch it again. Then get back to me. Often with reeves the most amazing scenes are so subtle they are missed.
The 1951 version is badly dated and no one could have loved that movie more than me.
ARYA
2010-04-03 06:06

I start with the idea that Keanu knows what he's doing and has the background and skills. If I don't at first connect, then maybe its about me. View the flick again. I used to view movies differently than I do now. Change is good.
Anakin McFly
2010-04-03 11:03

ADMIN

Nope, Keanu's Chinese was not good. He was better than a lot of other Hollywood actors, but some words were mispronounced to the extent that random people in my cinema broke out laughing, myself included, much as I think Keanu is otherwise awesome. :\\
LucaM
2010-04-03 20:05

I start with the idea that Keanu knows what he's doing and has the background and skills. If I don't at first connect, then maybe its about me. View the flick again. I used to view movies differently than I do now. Change is good.

I start with the same premise too. And yes, change is good. And I think I did understand what 'they' were trying to do with the remake of TDTESS. Problem is, as Seer pointed out somewhere else, that the original has a life of its own and remaking the movie with the same title was bound to create controversy and negative reactions. And then, I'm not happy with parts of the final version of the script compared with an earlier draft that made its way on the net. But that's just me. Keanu did a great job with his role and probably also with his input in the script rewriting. But from certain points of view, maybe it were better if they left the original alone. Or at least present their re-telling of the story as a stand-alone movie, not a remake of the original TDTESS , with the same title... It's all about sensibilities and marketing and such.
Again, just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I love Keanu Reeves the actor to tears and beyond words. But that doesn't mean I can't try to be objective about the movies he's part of.

Often with reeves the most amazing scenes are so subtle they are missed.

I know that. It's one of the reasons I joined the SWAT team ;)

He said it early in the film Luca, and then at the end too. It was all about making Gort cease and desist. Watch it again. Then get back to me.

Did watch it again. I still don't hear it. Just a maybe more accentuated shrill of the nano-insects?
Honestly, I don't hear it. But I might be wrong.
It wouldn't make sense to use the phrase twice, though. It would diminish its impact. Once is enough. And it already happened, in the earlier scene.

seer
2010-04-03 20:24

Naw, far as I can tell he only said 'the famous phrase' once near the beginning after being shot - it seems he had enough of a fight getting it into the flick at all, I doubt they let him get away with it twice ;). But then again maybe my version here isn't the quality it might be and I just can't hear it (or maybe it's my ears :).

But I don't think the Spheres had to do with Gort, and it was the Sphere he had to reach, by that point it was too late to stop Gort - Gort actually dissolved into the nano'sects didn't he? I kind of thought that the point by then was for Klaatu to make it into the Sphere - ie be picked up - ie the mission was accomplished, which caused all 'cleansing' activity to cease and desist..

I made it plenty clear what I thought of the idea of a remake when the thing was first announced and still am of that mind - that said though, as a stand alone (selectively choosing to ignore any supposed connection to the original) I will say that I actually like the thing, but (sorry K) it is NOT in any way shape or form TDTESS.

seer
2010-04-03 20:31

Oh, something else to think on, the language thing? This time the character actually had what might be an excuse to not pronounce properly - Klaatu had not spent the time on-planet that the other gentleman had, and as he was having to get used to everything about the body and the society he'd dropped into, so he was also perhaps unable to speak Chinese properly? I mean English was the first language he listened to and spoke, so maybe..

I'll give him that excuse anyway ;).

ARYA
2010-04-03 23:17

If you watch it, with subtitles, maybe you can see where Klaatu says the words again when he reaches up to touch the sphere. I am baffled how you both could have missed it.

And I can believe that native mandarin chinese speakers will get some giggle out of non native speakers giving it a shot. I have heard the same knee jerk response with esl actors. I find a bit of an accent or round about way to express English phrasing rather charming.

ARYA
2010-04-03 23:33

I wonder if my blu-ray copy of TDTESS has some details on it that the standard dvd does not? BTW I just viewed it again and there is no subtitle, but the words are very clear. In a whispery voice, that is clearly Keanu's.

[1] 2 3 4

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.