WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Sweet November

1 [2]

Sweet November
ARYA
2011-05-12 09:46

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
@Giladora, I have no "nest" so no worries. And cool you know who Bob Thurman is.
He is my teacher!
seer
2011-05-12 14:37

Forum Posts: 330
Comments: 131
Reviews: 0
My comment doesn't mean anything with regards to the actors or their work, or whether they liked the piece enough to sign on to it :). I'll often watch a thing because I like the cast/behind the scenes folks but my connection with them stops there usually, ie they don't determine whether I'll like the film or the story it's telling ;).

Sara's selfishness - my opinion remember - I have a problem with messing around in other people's lives to the point that you (the all inclusive) set out to change a life because you think you know what's best for them or think your way is better than their own. This is where the old Oriental saying about 'saving a life thereafter owning it' comes from :). Once you undertake to take over the responsibility for a life (the choices/actions of another) then you must continue that responsibility ever after, or you're simply stirring the pot irresponsibly. Archaic term - 'minding/meddling in' the business of others rather than your own.

One can stand as an example by your own life, or provide advice/thoughts (if asked for them ;) but enforcing your own will on another through misguided altruism (often to that one's detriment no matter how well your intent) is a common failing in us humans :). We are our brother's keeper - not our brother's owner ;). Just one of my personal 'hot buttons' ARYA, and of course it's just a movie :D. The flick was good enough, I just didn't care for it's story. That the Sara character was seen by so many as a wonderful, free spirited, caring woman with a heart over-full of love.. well.. ;).

I suspect personally that there's good reason why the story ended where it did :).

Giladora
2011-05-13 03:07

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
yeah ARYA , you ARE a true fan (but again in my opinion , and my experience about being a fan ) :) , well Like you said I was a fan of this musician and i was always worried or critical about his works , but when i reached to a point , i was like "OH !! NOW I KNOW "..:D and i stopped being too hard about my favorite artist , I began to simply trust him , coz after all its all about his journey in life which would be manifested in his art , not mine , but sometimes we want to shape them as what we like them to be . I'm glad u reached to that point that you trust Keanu , no matter what :)

SEER , i understand what you are saying . me , not liking a movie , has nothing to do with Keanu whatsoever :D ... and ermmm , I agree with all you said with Sara's character .

@ARYA .. may I ask WHAT???? :D Robert Thurman is your teacher ? you mean teacher teacher?? in university or ??? :D..

ARYA
2011-05-13 04:20

regarding Bob Thurman, I go to his lectures whenever I can and I've seen all the podcasts on youtube. I have a lot of teachers but I am not matriculated.
ARYA
2011-05-13 04:31

Speaking of the follow up to SN. I have an imaginary story that he grieves awhile and gets back with Angelika who is amazed at the change in him. After Sara dies, peacefully & within 4 months, they get custody of the cute doggie and live in the same neighborhood Sara used to live in. He and Chaz carpool to the office of Baker Bohannon where Nelson does a lot of ads for green corporations. Angelika has 2 beautiful children with Nelson. They did get married in a simple ceremony outdoors with a view of the coastline. I believe Bob Thurman presided over the ceremony since he was on a lecture tour at Berkeley. I will stop now.
Giladora
2011-05-16 08:01

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
haha ARYA , your imaginary story is interesting and fun :D , I can see that , but Angelika is another girl in my mind in your story ( that would make it my story then :D LOL).. but it was interesting to read... I see Nelson having a happy life , but in my mind , after 2 or maybe 3 years of struggling with his mind . and Bob Thurman had a lecture :D LMAO...

regarding Bob Thurman .. thanks for the answer , it was quit impressive reading ur words :).. hes my future teacher (that I'm sure of , i even set a plan for it :D), coz i haven't done my other teacher's home works yet , so .. yeah :)

ARYA
2011-05-19 02:41

http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/SweetNovember/

http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/SweetNovember/

Fun site about the movie.

I.R.A.
2012-07-25 13:32

Forum Posts: 50
Comments: 0
So. I know you guys already discussed the movie here, but I just watched it again. I dunno why I even did it, remembering that I didn't really like it. I think I told someone at vk.com/keanurussianclub that I would give it another try.

The movie is too cheesy for me (well, maybe that's not the right word... what I mean it that they try to make the audience cry, and they are trying too much) but I now remember the main problem that I had with this movie. I totally forgot how Sara left Nelson. That was very egoistic and cruel. If she had let him stay with her until she dies, he would have more time to prepare for the loss, emotionally. If watching her getting more and more sick would make him to gradually fall out of love with her - that's fine too. Being a decent guy he probably wouldn't show it. It would be so much easier on him. But noooo. She felt obliged to yank it from him. So that he remembers her bright and smiling, and himself being madly in love with her. And he'll stay in love with her for a loooong time. And it would just hurt. A lot.

That is all. (I'm sorry, I get mad at people when they do stuff like that.)

Trinity
2012-07-25 15:22

Forum Posts: 49
Comments: 1
Hi I.R.A.,

I basically agree with you on how she left him BUT I doubt that "watching her getting more and more sick would make him to gradually fall out of love with her". If you really love someone (like Nelson did) it hurts so much to see him/her suffering and your love will be even stronger, I guess. So I think there is not really a solution which "spares" some suffering on one side or another...it sucks anyway :-(

I loved the movie because it had so many nice & funny moments...and of course wanted that Sara gets well and they have a happy ending, but maybe it's better that other people decide, not me :-) (Keanu said in an interview he definitely wanted the sad ending.)

allhailkingjack
2014-06-19 03:31

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
Wait, there were fake tears? Damn it, that probably means the ones in Lake House were fake too. FML.

I sometimes see moments in his movies where I think his character should be crying and isn't, and I've been wondering if this was why. However, the sequence where he sang to her and then gave the "November is all I know" speech made me lose it. MY tears certainly weren't fake, so hats off to him for that.

LucaM
2014-06-19 03:37

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Both movies are produced by Warner, but I'm willing to bet that the tears in Lake House were real.
allhailkingjack
2014-06-19 03:47

Why do you think so? I'm only asking because that's the scene I developed a ridiculous emotional attachment to.
LucaM
2014-06-19 03:53

Gut feeling. Which is not exactly 'thinking' ;)
Dunno. it just 'fits' with the moment, the character, the everything. And weren't you the one who wrote so beautifully about why that kind of cry is the genuine human reaction to the situation?
Besides, don't think that particular shot could have been 'digitally altered'.
allhailkingjack
2014-06-19 05:16

I did write something about it. I guess I'm just kind of "pics or it didn't happen" on the use of fake tears. I feel like I'm discovering so much about his acting that I never noticed before - and how unfairly he's been savaged over the years - and I guess I was hoping this was one of the things that was genuine. I might just have to write off SN as not one of his better efforts, which every actor has.
LucaM
2014-06-19 05:41

I don't have pics. Just a quote from an interview.

http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/2003_0511_eff.htm

Reeves' experiences as a digitized actor have been mostly positive ("I hear the digital Keanu is fantastic," he joked), but he does have some reservations.

"From the directors, it's like 'Mwa-ha-haaa, now I can control you; I have you!' Where that will go for the actor, I don't know," he said. "For an actor now, you participate even though other people, the director and editor, choose your performance in those takes. With the digital aspect, you're no longer participating in the process. Already in 'Sweet November,' they put artificial tears in my eyes. If you do want to digitally alter my performance, what I want to have is performance approval."

Don't have any quotes to prove the Lake House 'tears scene' to be genuine, though.

allhailkingjack
2014-06-19 06:15

That's actually a really interesting comment he made, as if he felt adding tears interfered with what he was trying to convey in the scene. From a performance aspect, I can see why he'd be insulted if it was done w/o his approval. He did so many other things right in that movie that it makes me somewhat more inclined to trust whatever he was going for in that moment. And the context does make me think he'd go to hell and back (heh) to get a good cry in if the moment called for it.
Anakin McFly
2014-06-20 14:35

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
relevant. :|

http://www.whoaisnotme.net/anakinmcfly/stories/cryrealtears.htm

allhailkingjack
2014-06-20 18:52

That was hilarious! Well done.

I was going to ask if we're allowed to post our own fanfic here. But if that's just a site owner thing, it's cool.

Anakin McFly
2014-06-20 20:12

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Thanks!

and duude. Post your fics! :D And fanart, and music, and videos, and anything else.

Fanfic goes on this board -> http://www.whoaisnotme.net/forums/display.php?forumid=8

LucaM
2016-11-18 01:35:34

http://www.potreroview.net/christophers-books-celebrates-25th-anniversary/

Christopher’s Books has been featured in a few movies. The most prominent was Sweet November (2001), a romantic drama starring Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron. “The movie was only filmed outside the store,” Minot said. “The film used a good portion of 18th Street. They turned Christopher’s into a used bookstore, filming a few scenes in front of it. Charlize Theron’s character lived upstairs from the bookstore. She never came inside during filming. Keanu Reeves would come in every time he had a break. He spent tons of money and bought really interesting books,” said Minot.

1 [2]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.