WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)

1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)
LucaM
2011-08-01 01:17

Forum Posts: 4841
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
oh, I liked the story alright, but... as you say, it immediately made me think of Orwell and Huxley and the contemporary trend of prescribing happy pills for anyone who dares ask existential questions... the forced conformity and all that...
The Matrix apparently offered the choice between the two pills, but it was waaaay more than that ;)
then again, I'm 'biased' by the fact that I always consider the Matrix as the whole trilogy, not as only the first movie.
and it's just that I found Equilibrium to be ... too 'simple' compared with the complexity of the trilogy and its ending... but that's just me, and I'm a strange cat ;)
AdriannaM.
2011-08-01 03:53

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
I see what you mean, luv ;)

Speaking of Christian Bale, how about American Psycho? I thought it was very well done and before-it's-time, though admittedly disturbing :/

LucaM
2011-08-01 04:07

I'm somewhat ashamed to admit not having watched it yet; I want to read the novel before watching the movie and... with my current reading list, it will take some time :(

AdriannaM.
2011-08-01 04:36

Yea, I am also guilty of not reading the novel yet. I wish I had the time - they say the movie didn't do it justice.
Giladora
2011-08-07 16:26

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
Reviews: 0
-- BECKET (1964) ...
ARYA
2011-08-10 06:27

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Another movie NOT to see. Skyline. Horror alien movie. And I usually am on board for that. Even the guy playing the romantic lead was ick.
And listen to the nerve of this. There were some bonus scenes and when I tried to look at them the message comes up you have to BUY the movie to see them. Not a chance of that happening.

Maybe I should make a NOT TO SEE thread? :)
Giladora
2011-08-10 07:35

we can add the " not to see" line here anyway.. its a good thing to do :D tho , Im sure i wont use that Line .. coz I'mnew , and not sure about the taste of folks here ..

ARYA
2011-08-10 11:33

@Giladora, your taste is just as significant as anyones. I have to draw the line at dissing Reeves movies but everyone else's is fair game as far as I'm concerned. :D
ARYA
2011-08-14 22:54

I have heard that Takeshi Miike is a genius and I tried. I saw a few of his movies and just did not get it. The last straw for me was Visitor Q that I just attempted to view and wound up fast forwarding the truly unique and heinous violence that was most of the movie. Life is too short, I wont be seeing any more of his flicks.
ARYA
2011-08-14 23:28

I am going to start an Alan Rickman moviefest. So far I've only seen Bottle Shock, Snowcake, and 2 of the Harry Potter series.
Wouldn't it be cool for Reeves and Rickman to be in a movie?
Giladora
2011-08-14 23:37

definitely !! Keanu Reeves and Alan Rickman !! Gotta love that combination

-- Recommendation : Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

ARYA
2011-08-20 04:02

Friends with Money
2006 R 88 minutes

Writer-director Nicole Holofcener's bittersweet tale examines the evolving lives of four female friends living in Los Angeles: married and financially secure Jane (Frances McDormand), Franny (Joan Cusack) and Christine (Catherine Keener), and their single friend Olivia (Jennifer Aniston). As the friends move from one group event to the next, married life starts showing cracks for Jane, Franny and Christine, while Olivia struggles to find herself.

Cast:
Jennifer Aniston, Joan Cusack, Catherine Keener, Frances McDormand, Jason Isaacs, Scott Caan, Simon McBurney, Greg Germann, Ty Burrell
Director:
Nicole Holofcener
Genres:
Comedies, Dramas, Independent Movies, Independent Dramas, Independent Comedies

I did not like it. Overall I don't think people behave like this. Lot of interesting actors so it's... disappointing.

ARYA
2011-08-21 00:05

Looking at The US vs John Lennon on the Sundance channel and I totally hope everyone sees this documentary several times.
I have had a strange revelation. If Nixon had been successful in booting John from the country he might still be alive today? Just a thought.
LucaM
2011-08-21 00:48

alive, maybe.
but would his image still have become the 'icon' it is today?
AdriannaM.
2011-08-23 20:58

That is a very interesting ponder, I will try to see this documentary :)
ARYA
2011-12-19 01:09

Interesting love story

Never Forever
2007R101 minutes

Vera Farmiga stars in this heartbreaking drama (a 2006 Sundance Film Festival entry) as Sophie, a woman who's utterly devoted to her husband but finds she's unable to get pregnant. When Sophie makes an odd but decisive choice to bring a Korean immigrant (Jung-woo Ha) into their marriage, her fateful decision soon threatens to tear the couple apart -- and drive Sophie to the brink of total despair.

Cast:
Vera Farmiga, Asa Somers, Shirley Roeca, Jackson Pace, Alex Manette, Jung-woo Ha, David McInnis
Director:
Gina Kim
Genres:
Dramas, Independent Movies, Independent Dramas
This movie is:
Cerebral, Dark

ARYA
2011-12-19 01:15

Another love story.

Wristcutters: A Love Story
2006R88 minutes

Depressed over his breakup with girlfriend Desiree (Leslie Bibb), Zia (Patrick Fugit) slits his wrists, only to find himself sent to a bleak corner of the afterlife reserved for those who kill themselves in Goran Dukic's dark comic fantasy. When he learns that Desiree also commits suicide, he's joined by a pair of fellow lost souls (Shannyn Sossamon and Shea Whigham) on a quest to find her and see if love and happiness can exist even in death.

Cast:
Patrick Fugit, Abraham Benrubi, Shannyn Sossamon, Leslie Bibb, Mark Boone Junior, Cameron Bowen, Mikal Portnoi Lazarev, Clayne Crawford, Tom Waits, Chase Ellison, John Hawkes, Will Arnett, Jake Busey, Shea Whigham, Mary Pat Gleason, Irwin Keyes, Jazzmun
Director:
Goran Dukic
Genres:
Comedies, Independent Movies, Romantic Movies, Dark Comedies, Romantic Comedies, Independent Comedies, Romantic Independent Movies
This movie is:
Dark, Quirky, Romantic, Understated, Witty

ARYA
2011-12-19 01:17

Of course everyone needs to see any Noam Chomsky's dvd. They're all wonderful. I am seriously crushing on him.
Giladora
2011-12-19 10:11

crushing on Noam Chomsky :) that's nice , And I'm serious .. thanks for recommendations , ill add them to my watchlist
gulbie
2011-12-19 20:30

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
excuse me, I don't understand noam chomsky MIT emeritus professor who wrote some of the best contributions about linguistic, psicology ect., famous for his politic views? this noam chomskyhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky?
do Noam Chomsky's dvds exist?
OMG!

1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.