WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)

1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)
ARYA
2011-12-20 23:32

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
This one is wonderful

Noam Chomsky: Rebel Without a Pause (2003) NR

MIT professor and respected political analyst Noam Chomsky speaks his mind on sober issues including the U.S. war on terrorism, anti-American sentiment, media manipulation, the after-effects of 9/11, and social activism at high-profile gatherings. The film also features interviews with his wife, activists, fans and critics, and examines the truths and myths surrounding the anti-capitalist and longtime advocate of liberty and justice.

Genre:
Documentaries, Biographical Documentaries, Political Documentaries, Social & Cultural Documentaries

@gulbie There are quite of few others one as recent as 2010. Keep in mind he speaks very brilliantly (as you know) and very fast. It is oftentimes hard for me to keep up with his train of thought.

ShadowSpark
2011-12-25 07:49

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33
Reviews: 0
V for Vendetta is good, as is Green Lantern. Captain America is worth a look. Both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows are also good. I'm still working on a list of more. *shifts eyes* Oh, and did I mention Tron Legacy?
Giladora
2011-12-25 09:30

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
o there are no seeds for Noam Chomsky : Rebel without a Pause ( thanks ARYA , i had no idea about it ) .. grr , i have to find it one way or another .

okay my recommendation :

-A guide to recognizing your saints >>> ( when Channing Tatum can be great in a movie , that tells something ... this movie is so underrated IMO. )
-----------
- trainspotting
-----------
- Pina
-----------

gulbie
2011-12-25 21:51

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
@arya. thank you! I try to find this documentay of Noam Chomsky. I read a lot of his studies and books, either for school and for myself.

my recommendation:

"the consequence of love": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398883/ a touching and sophisticated love story from the same director of "this is must be the place" Paolo Sorrentino.
-----------
the divus ( il divo): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023490/ I watch it again and again.
-----------

breakfast at tiffany's ( with my favourite actress Audrey Hepburn - recently I visit a exibition of all her dresses and photos from the years when she lived in Rome...amazing!)

ARYA
2011-12-27 00:51

OK. I can get Il Divo on Netflix but not The consequence of Love or Pina. I've seen the other movies recommended by gulbie, spark, & Giladora. Keep the recommendations coming! Thanks!
gulbie
2011-12-27 03:22

@arya if you don't take all the references to old italian politician, I'm ready to explain everything. the movie is set in 1992 the year of the assasination of the famous jugde Giovanni Falcone, for the other references there is a little and useful "italian vocaboulary" at the beginning of the movie. the scenes and the soundtrack are amazing in my opinion.
ARYA
2011-12-28 02:20

thanks so much for the offer to help gulbie:) You are sweet and kind to me.

I just viewed this one on IFC (Indies) channel. I liked it but I need to see it again and Netflix says availability date "unknown".

A Price Above Rubies (1998) R

Married to a strictly observant Jew, a young mother (Renee Zellweger) craves fewer rules and more passion. Along comes her jeweler brother-in-law, who sees her anguish and values her at "a price above rubies," giving her a job and much more. With the door to freedom now open, she pursues a Puerto Rican jewelry designer. But there are no easy answers to the tough moral dilemmas she faces in this character-driven drama.

Genre:
Dramas, Independent Movies, Romantic Movies, Independent Dramas, Romantic Dramas, Romantic Independent Movies

This movie is:
Dark, Inspiring, Romantic

Availability:
DVD availability date unknown

LucaM
2011-12-28 04:05

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
ARYA - I remember that movie; I've seen it on tv, late at night, many years ago... Definitely to be re-watched.
gulbie
2012-01-05 05:21

it's not a reccomandation but a request.

I'm looking for the english version of a Roberto Rossellini's movie called " Europa 51" (1952) aka " the greatest love" ( in U.S.) aka "No greater love" ( in U.K.). even if anybody knows this movie was shooted in english and after dubbed in italian with some differences in the translation. I'm looking for the original english version of the movie for comparing to italian version that I already get.
every news about it is welcome...please help me

ARYA
2012-02-16 07:11

@Gulbie. Finally viewed Il Divo. Very well made movie. I had to watch it slowly because its subtitles but I was right on board with the vision of politics and politicians in Italy. How it is intermingled with the vatican and the mafia and most of all the lust for power and control. Also how a famous person handles the fame or infamy. I can understand how you would see it over and over. There is a lot to take in there. I'm making my way through the extras and its so cool to see the actors how they appear outside of the film. Very informative of that time period in Italy. As an American I tend to be drowned in our political nonsense so its refreshing to see another side of the big blue marble. And I am so in love with the italian language!
Thanks for the heads up on this one Gulbie. I think it's a "must see".
ARYA
2012-02-22 02:09

Zeitgeist: The Movie
2007NR120 minutes

Peter Joseph explores the controversial links between organized religion, the global financial markets and the international power structure in this thought-provoking documentary that probes several well-known conspiracy theories. The award-winning film shows the similarities of several major religions, examines alleged secrets of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, and delves into the relationship between the Federal Reserve and America's foreign wars.

Director:
Peter Joseph
Genres:
Documentaries, Political Documentaries, Spiritual Documentaries
This movie is:
Cerebral, Controversial, Exciting
Availability:
DVD
There are 2 more follow ups not yet available on Netflix. If anyone has seen this one I'd love to hear your take on it.

ARYA
2012-03-26 01:27

Moneyball is worth watching. I am not that much a sportsfan btw but I felt it was enlightening about money sports. Just FYI there is a blooper of Pitt in the extra's where, for nearly the first time, I saw him as adorbs. Almost makes me understand why we do NOT see Keanu bloopers. Like ever.

ARYA
2012-03-26 01:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgFxf1kCaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXgFxf1kCaA

gulbie
2012-03-26 17:26

Arya, I've just seen your comment about Il Divo. yes, the background of plot and the story (history) could be difficul to understand for a not-italian, but the story and the style of the movie is very international.
I think the movie talk about the meaning of power, what the power really is, how the power moves and where the power could bring the people.
Andreotti didn't like this movie, and I don't know why. the most of italians would tell his story without the Sorrentino's equilibrium and distance.the movie is very well documented.
some scenes are so delicate: A. with the electors from countryside, with the wife, and the regrets about the kidnapping and following death of the former prime minister Aldo Moreo killed by terrorists( after 30 years we are still hurted by this event).

I found ironic some scenes like the vanity of the general procurator Caselli and A. at the hunting scenes or the famous kiss with Riina ("CEO" of Mafia).

I remember the story by my onw (the killing of Judge Falcone, the election of the new president of the republic)and I know what happened after Andreotti. 20 years of Berlusconi, now it seems we breath a brand new air with the new prime minister Prof. Monti and his board of exsperts. who know, we'll see ( until now I'm seeing my money goes down, my taxes go up, and the oil at 2€ per litre).

after the victory at the trial Andreotti's energies went away, now he's tired and old (sometimes sick). but he still gets his archive....everybody is warned!
-----------
I'm waiting for the realise of moneyball soon.

ARYA
2012-03-28 09:21

@gulbie I can well believe Adreotti did not like this truth of his story. Men with that much power usually like to write their own history.
Here in the US too, my money goes down, taxes up, and gasoline higher than ever.
The way of the world. At least we have no active or declared war happening in the states. Since the civil war. It's something...
LucaM
2012-04-02 02:44

Tarkovsky's Nostalghia

Won't write about it, because it's one of those films in which every viewer finds different, personal meanings. But if you haven't watched it yet, please do. Sometimes in this lifetime.

gulbie
2012-04-02 03:07

thanks Luca!

@arya so do we since our civil war (1943-46). yes, it's something.

ARYA
2012-04-03 03:00

Interesting flick. Lena is one of the people featured in SideBySide.

Tiny Furniture (2010) NR

When twenty-something film theory major Aura (Lena Dunham) returns home after college to live with her artist mother in TriBeCa, she confronts a long list of personal and professional failures and wonders whether her dismal past will become her future. It's an early midlife crisis for sure, but there's hope on the horizon if Aura can figure out who she is and what she's really meant to do. Dunham also wrote and directed this wry comedy.

Genre:
Comedies, Independent Movies, Independent Comedies

This movie is:
Cerebral, Quirky, Witty

Availability:
Streaming, DVD and Blu-ray

I did not even know the keanu connection when I saw this one. But that would be par for the course in my world.

ARYA
2012-04-03 03:05

@LucaM This one? I put it on my list. Thanks!

Nostalghia (1983) NR

One of Russia's most famous directors weaves this darkly humorous romantic tale set in Italy. Russian poet Gortchakov, researching the life of a famous composer in Italy, meets the mysterious Domenico, who may be a mystic or a madman. At the same time, he's tempted to have an extramarital fling with Eugenia, his guide and translator. Nostalgic dreams about Mother Russia haunt the poet, as does Domenico's strange hold over him.

Genre:
Dramas, Foreign Movies, Romantic Movies, Foreign Dramas

This movie is:
Romantic

Availability:
DVD availability date unknown

LucaM
2012-04-03 05:58

yes, that's the one.
the synopsis doesn't do it justice, though.

1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.