WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)

1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)
AdriannaM.
2012-04-03 23:36

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
1408 Movie adaptation of a Stephen King story scared the crap out of me. I couldn't sleep the whole night, and it was really well done.

Hi, everyone - miss you guys!

ARYA
2012-04-03 23:40

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
well, look who's back! I will put that movie on my netflix list AdriannaM.

1408: Unrated Version (2007) PG-13

In this thriller based on a story by Stephen King, writer and paranormal debunker Mike Enslin (John Cusack) is determined to demystify the ghostly events of room 1408 at the Dolphin Hotel, even though the clerk (Samuel L. Jackson) begs him to rethink his plans. Enslin needs to write another book, and room 1408 may be his big ticket. But will he survive even one night? This unrated version includes extra footage and an alternate ending.

Genre:
Horror Movies, Supernatural Horror Movies

Availability:
DVD

fractal2012-04-09 05:19

Forum Posts: 6
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
Depends on the mood, really; I mostly go for directors, rather than genres or actors. In no particular order:
* anything Hitchcock and David Lynch (still trying to wrap my head around Erasorhead); almost everything Almodovar (Strawberries and Chocolate, All About My Mother)
* anything dystopian Brazil, Oh Lucky Man, especially if based on Philip Dick (Blade Runner, anyone? high time to make a remake and put Keanu in it)
* lots of Russians, I see Luca mentioned Tarkovsky - try Solaris and Stalker (I think Keanu would be great in the latter); not sure how easy it is to find Russian films with English subtitles;
* the Italians oh even began studying Italian but didn't get far enough and how many foreign languages can one learn in such a short lifetime? On my personal enigma list: Le Bal (Ettore Scola, early 80's, couldn't understand it then, still haunting me, need to see again if I can find it)
This weekend's picks (no new films, needed these as pick-me-ups): Life of Brian and The Road to Wellville; if I don't climb out of the sorrow bath, will continue with the Monty Python Collection. :)
LucaM
2012-04-09 05:41

Forum Posts: 4841
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

Blade Runner, anyone? high time to make a remake and put Keanu in it

... might as well make a proper adaptation of it, dammit :(
don't get me wrong, I like Ridley Scott's movie, but it ain't the story written by PKD.

I'm curious about the Total Recall remake. Directed by Len Wiseman, with Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale...
Really curious.

still trying to wrap my head around Eraserhead

me too :) although I dare say I think I got the basic idea...

Another recommendation: Kar Wai Wong. Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, Ashes of Time, Happy Together, In the Mood for Love, 2046 ... not really sure about My Blueberry Nights, though. WKW's hand and eye is visible, but he 'went Hollywood' with this one and afraid it lacks the... authenticity?

okay, I've put Le Bal on my list :)

Softie
2012-04-09 07:50

Forum Posts: 78
Comments: 10
OMG LucaM, I loooove Wong Kar Wai! His films are some of my all time favorites. Ashes of Time is one of the most moving and beautifully shot Kung Fu movies ever (I wonder if KR has seen it?). Happy Together is phenomenal, as are CKE and Fallen Angels. These films made me want to visit Hong Kong so badly, and made me a huge fan of the cinematographer Christopher Doyle. Visually they are stunning/

By the way, Keanu's leading lady Karen Mok is actually in Fallen Angels... donning short blonde hair.

I still haven't seen Eraserhead. I'm gonna give it another go in a couple of weeks.

ARYA
2012-04-09 12:02

@ fractal, I am not going to revisit Eraserhead...but I totally understand using movie therapy as a mood lifter. I actually read a book that was called Movie Therapy some years back before I realized that Keanu had a movie for every single mood I have ever had. :)
In general if the movie has the words "dystopian future" or "psychological thriller" I will give it a whirl.
I just viewed Limitless that was interesting but I would not view it a second time. The visuals were striking in blu-ray.

Limitless
2011PG-13105 minutes

With his writing career dragging and his girlfriend casting him off, Eddie Morra's life turns around when he takes a drug that provides astonishing mental focus -- but its deadly side effects threaten his future.

Cast:
Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Abbie Cornish, Andrew Howard, Anna Friel, Johnny Whitworth, Tomas Arana, Robert John Burke, Darren Goldstein
Director:
Neil Burger
Genres:
Thrillers, Crime Thrillers, Psychological Thrillers
This movie is:
Suspenseful
Availability:
Streaming, DVD and Blu-ray

LucaM
2012-04-09 17:16

By the way, Keanu's leading lady Karen Mok is actually in Fallen Angels... donning short blonde hair.

... one more reason to look forward to MOTC ;)
at least the man's got taste. But we already knew that ;)

Ashes of Time... is something else. it's David Lynch meets Yuen Woo Ping :D
(drat, I'm beginning to speak/type like a film critic. And that's a species I'm not very fond of.)

ARYA- do you remember the author of that book? I'd like to read it too.

ARYA
2012-04-09 21:33

@ LucaM. When I went to amazon to find the book and post about it I did not see the one I read. Not a loss as it was a chick flick type fluff book but it did give me the idea for movies as mood elevators. Here are some, of similar idea, at Amazon

Movie Therapy, Moving Therapy! by MD Fuat Ulus (Apr 1, 2003)

Reel Therapy: How Movies Inspire You to Overcome Life's Problems by Gary Solomon (Dec 30, 2001)

Rent Two Films and Let's Talk in the Morning: Using Popular Movies in Psychotherapy, 2nd Edition by John W. Hesley (Jul 20, 2001)

Psychology at the Movies by Skip Dine Young (Apr 17, 2012)

LucaM
2012-04-09 23:11

ARYA - thanks :)
adding them to my reading list - which is gaining considerable length ...
Chiara
2012-04-15 02:23

Forum Posts: 215
I watched recently:
- House of Sand and Fog
- Mystic River
- Kite Runner
- Swimming Pool
I liked a lot and higly recommend all of them.
ARYA
2012-04-16 01:04

@ Chiara, I have seen all those movies! I read the book Kite Runner and I have the feeling the movie was more profound to me because I had read the book and had all the backstory the movie does not have time for.

I recently viewed this. Try to see it if you are over 15years old.

A Dangerous Method
2011R99 minutes

In this David Cronenberg-helmed biopic, Viggo Mortensen stars as Sigmund Freud, whose relationship with fellow psychology luminary Carl Jung (Michael Fassbender) is tested when Sabina Spielrein (Keira Knightley), one of the first female psychoanalysts, enters their lives. This World War I-set drama also stars Vincent Cassel as Otto Gross, a disciple of Freud, and Sarah Gadon, who plays Jung's psychoanalyst wife.

Cast:
Keira Knightley, Viggo Mortensen, Michael Fassbender, Vincent Cassel, Sarah Gadon, André Hennicke, Arndt Schwering-Sohnrey, Mignon Remé
Director:
David Cronenberg
Genres:
Dramas, Independent Movies, Dramas based on a book, Dramas based on real life, Independent Dramas, British Movies, Dramas based on contemporary literature, 20th Century Period Pieces, British Dramas
This movie is:
Cerebral
Availability:
DVD and Blu-ray

Chiara
2012-04-16 01:17

Forum Posts: 215
Arya,that film sounds interesting to me.I`ll be spending next week on vacation so I`ll watch it when I get back home.It was rainy Sunday here so I watched Millenium trilogy today.I find it interesting, especially the first part.
LucaM
2012-04-24 05:47

Puncture

not only because it's a sad true story about corruption and monopoly policies, but also because the dark side of Chris Evans looks good.

ARYA
2012-04-24 07:56

oooh thanks, that sounds like one for my list LucaM.
BTW, I just saw a quote in print recently that Evans was only proud of 3 movies that he did. Of course he was not naming them but interesting.
SaneSun
2012-04-24 19:32

Forum Posts: 202
Comments: 28
The last year I have seen a couple of French/French spoken movies that I really enjoyed:

Caché by Michael Haneke http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387898/

La tourneuse de pages by Denis Dercourt http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0487503/

Blanc comme neige by Christophe Blanc http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454907/

Apparently the IMDB viewers don't agree with me, judging by their ratings, but I thouht it was nice to see some non-hollywood films. And they were not so slow paced as older french movies I've seen.

ARYA
2012-05-10 08:51

Caché Hidden (2005) R

Winner of the Cannes Best Director Award, Michael Haneke's psychological thriller centers on wealthy French couple Georges (Daniel Auteuil) and Anne (Juliette Binoche), who begin receiving threatening videotapes and phone calls that threaten to ruin their relationship. Georges realizes who the perpetrator is but refuses to tell Anne. Yet childhood flashbacks reveal the mystery, a story that illuminates France's damaged relations with Algeria.

Genre:
Foreign Movies, Thrillers, Foreign Thrillers, French Movies

This movie is:
Cerebral, Dark, Suspenseful, Scary

Availability:
DVD

I put this on my queue, thanks SaneSun.

ARYA
2012-05-10 08:52

The Page Turner La Tourneuse de Pages (2007) NR

As a child, pianist Melanie's (Déborah François) dream of studying at a prestigious musical conservatory is shattered when the chairwoman of the jury (Catherine Frot) distracts her during an audition. Years later, a coincidence leads to Melanie's employment in the woman's household, and she finds herself in the perfect position for revenge. Directed by Denis Dercourt, this stylish psychological drama co-stars Pascal Greggory.

Genre:
Dramas, Foreign Movies, Foreign Dramas, French Movies

This movie is:
Suspenseful

Availability:
DVD

This one too.

ARYA
2012-05-10 08:53

White Snow Blanc Comme Neige (2010) NR

When Finnish mobsters kill his underhanded business partner and then start shaking him down, wealthy car dealership owner Maxime (François Cluzet) decides to bypass the cops and confront the thugs with the help of his wily brothers (Olivier Gourmet and Jonathan Zaccaï). But their plan goes awry, and soon Maxime's entire family, including his wife (Louise Bourgoin), is in peril. Christophe Blanc directs this French thriller.

Genre:
Foreign Movies, Thrillers, Foreign Thrillers, Belgian Movies

Availability:
DVD availability date unknown

ARYA
2012-05-13 01:39

This documentary ties together a lot of loose ends regarding music from the 60's.
See it if you can get it.

Legends of the Canyon: Classic Artists
2009NR110 minutes

Rock 'n' roll photographer Henry Diltz narrates this nostalgic look at the roots of a specific strain of rock born in the cradle of Laurel Canyon, spawning iconic acts like the Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, and Crosby, Stills and Nash. Highlights include rare footage of classic bands in action as well as still images snapped by Diltz himself, capturing a forgotten time and place -- and the legends who lived there.

Cast:
Henry Diltz, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Neil Young, Jackson Browne, Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Mamas and the Papas, Joni Mitchell, America, Linda Rondstadt
Director:
Jon Brewer
Genres:
Music, Rockumentaries, Rock & Pop, Classic Rock, Rock & Roll Oldies
Availability:
DVD

gulbie
2012-05-13 04:46

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
last week I met an amazing director, Roberto Andò. he was in my town for a conference about his work as director at the University.

very intelligent, brillant, well read.
I love his filmography, because he writes stories about litterature, psychoanalysis, lies with a great cinematography and soundtrack.

I watched his movies and I recommend you at leat two films: Il manoscritto del principe http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0202464/ the story tells the end of life and the latest exploits of writer Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa , in particular its relationship with the students in their twenties Marco(false name for the Prof.Francesco Orlando) and Guido ( Gioacchino Lanza Tomasi) and the writing of The Leopard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leopard. it is in italian.

the second movie is: Sotto falso nome (Le prix du désir)- 2004
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367098/ don't look the user review from Imdb, because the writer didn't watched all the movie and he didn't know most of the story is telled at the end of the movie ( the final scene is amazing!) the sotry tells the relationship between a very famous writer who writes under a pseudonymous ( under false name as the italian title says) and the his step-son's wife. it tells about secrets, lies and the past that has to be unsaid. the most of film is in french (some scene in polish). with daniel auteil , anne mouglalis and greta scacchi.

1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.