WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)
ARYA
2013-02-09 02:09

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I put this here because I want to read it eventually...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2002/jan/17/artsfeatures.davidlynch

Freya
2013-02-12 03:43

Forum Posts: 777
Comments: 3
Reviews: 0
maybe I am going to watch Die Hard (only because it's no 5 in the serie, I don't remember when but it started many years ago)

and it's interesting if Silver Linings Playbook will get any Oscar

ARYA
2013-02-12 04:52

Keanu once said he liked DieHard. Just throwing it out there.
ARYA
2013-02-12 22:57

Thurgood
2011TV-14105 minutes

Re-creating a Tony-nominated performance, Laurence Fishburne stars in this one-man live show as renowned lawyer and civil rights leader Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American justice to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Cast:
Laurence Fishburne
Director:
Michael Stevens
Genres:
Drama, Theatrical Performances, Biographies, Social Issue Dramas, Courtroom Dramas, 20th Century Period Pieces, Period Pieces, Blu-ray
This movie is:
Inspiring
Format:
DVD

Please see this if you can, it is a wonderful piece of theater and of history.

Freya
2013-02-24 15:54

Silver Linings Playbook has already got some awards
http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominations/independent-spirit-awards
ARYA
2013-04-12 05:59

My Perestroika
2010NR88 minutes

An intimate look at five longtime friends who grew up shortly before the collapse of the Soviet Union, this documentary sheds light on how Russians have adapted to post-Soviet society and their nation's continually shifting political landscape.

Director:
Robin Hessman
Genres:
Documentary, Social & Cultural Documentaries, Political Documentaries
Language:
Russian
This movie is:
Cerebral
Format:
DVD and streaming

SaneSun
2013-04-12 16:28

Forum Posts: 202
Comments: 28
For the not so faint hearted

Das Experiment (2001)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0250258/?ref_=sr_1

The movie is based on the infamous "Stanford Prison Experiment" conducted in 1971. A makeshift prison is set up in a research lab, complete with cells, bars and surveillance cameras. For two weeks 20 male participants are hired to play prisoners and guards. The 'prisoners' are locked up and have to follow seemingly mild rules, and the 'guards' are told simply to retain order without using physical violence. Everybody is free to quit at any time, thereby forfeiting payment. In the beginning the mood between both groups is insecure and rather emphatic. But soon quarrels arise and the wardens employ ever more drastic sanctions to confirm their authority.

SaneSun
2013-04-12 16:34

For the more faint hearted

Hugo (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970179/?ref_=sr_2

Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton.

Director:
Martin Scorsese

Liked it because of all the old film material by George Méliès.

SaneSun
2013-04-12 16:38

What would you do?

Klopka (2007) (The Trap)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478813/?ref_=sr_1

"THE TRAP" is a modern film noir reflecting the true face of Serbian (Eastern European) 'society in transition.' It's a story that could happen to you. It is a film about an ordinary man, who is forced to choose between life and death of his own child and that of someone else.

SaneSun
2013-04-12 16:52

Le silence de Lorna (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186369/

In order to become the owner of a snack bar with her boyfriend, Lorna, a young Albanian woman living in Belgium, becomes an accomplice to a diabolical plan devised by a criminal named Fabio. Fabio works as a taxi driver but his main activities consist of shady deals.

Fabio has orchestrated a sham marriage between Lorna and Claudy. The marriage allows her to obtain Belgian citizenship. They chose Claudy because he was a junkie, thus they could kill him off & make it look like an overdose. The police will not suspect foul play. Lorna then will be able to marry a Russian Mafioso who is willing to pay a lot of money to acquire an EU passport quickly.

Freya
2013-04-12 23:33

Adam's Apples (with Mads Mikkelsen)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418455/

A neo-nazi sentenced to community service at a church clashes with the blindly devotional priest.

ARYA
2013-04-13 03:52

Thanks guys!
ARYA
2013-05-02 09:23

This review from Netflix says all we need to know about Silver Linings Playbook that got all that attention at oscar time.

Emperors clothes movie, that takes some good actors and creates enough buzz to make everyone think this is a great film. In reality, this is a screenplay that could have been written in a day, a film that cost nothing to make, and is easily one of the worst directed and edited films in recent memory. Watch the gold necklace on Bradley Cooper's neck constantly move from cut to cut. It is on the outside of his shirt, the next cut back to his face it is on the inside of his shirt, the next cut back to him two seconds later the locket on the necklace is hanging to the side. The entire film is full of these shots where multiple takes are spliced together without any attention to the look of the hair, clothes or makeup. No film this poorly done should be considered for Academy Awards, unless they are done by the Weinsteins who control Hollywood and can take any film they do and get this kind of attention. Additionally, the behavior of the characters is hardly bipolar, it is simply erratic and bizarre and hardly amusing or in any way real. This is a film that was shot day by day, and the story was made up as they went with improvisation and day by day changes. None of the actors are consistent in their roles, and the end of the film is simply silly if not downright stupid. I say as plainly as possible, the emperor has NO clothes on and anyone who buys into the buzz here is hiding their real opinion. This is not a good film, and I would not give this film a go.

ARYA
2013-05-02 09:32

I was looking forward to World War Z and then I read this?

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/05/01/world-war-z-problems_n_3193002.html?ncid=wsc-dl-cards-headline

http://news.moviefone.com/2013/05/01/world-war-z-problems_n_3193002.html?ncid=wsc-dl-cards-headline

Pitt is pushing for MORE blood and violence? oy.

LucaM
2013-05-02 15:13

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
... I won't comment on any of these two movies until I've seen them, but if one sits back and looks at what's been happening in the movie industry/business in the past few years.... we are living in interesting times ;)

and please don't get me started on the Oscars. this year, the Academy lost the little credibility it had left.

Karamelle
2013-05-02 18:11

Forum Posts: 50
Comments: 2
Totally agree, I didn't like Silver Linings Playbook... Jessica Chastaing or Naomy Watts deserved it more than Jennifer Laurence...
Karamelle
2013-05-02 18:15

Forum Posts: 50
Comments: 2
The Grandmaster directed by Wong Kar Wai, action choreographer Yuen Woo-ping
The story of martial-arts master Ip Man, the man who trained Bruce Lee.

Epic fights!

bluecandlelight
2013-05-21 23:44

Forum Posts: 93
Comments: 7
take shelter

a must see.

Anakin McFly
2013-05-21 23:55

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
...incidentally, my therapist just highly recommended Silver Linings Playbook, saying that it was a really great character study with one of the most accurate portrayals of bipolar disorder he'd ever seen in a movie. :|
Trinity
2013-05-22 18:24

Forum Posts: 49
Comments: 1
Anakin, I agree with you therapist.

As a bipolar myself I need to defend The Silver Linings Playbook...it is giving a very good picture of a bipolar person, but it is almost entirely focusing on the manic phase (we can only imagine what happened in the mental hospital for example, during the depressive phase - the only weak point for me). On the other hand, every person is different, everybody has different backgrounds & symptoms.

Actually, the director's son is bipolar. That also means a lot, I think.

I feel nothing but pity for the person who was watching Bradley Cooper's necklace all the time. This way you miss the message of the film for sure. And how many times need somebody watch the film to collect all these "major" errors? :-))) Must be a real torture for him/her, but a self-chosen one :-)

Bradley Cooper was great in the film. I was amazed how his face changed from constantly suffering (in the first half of the film) to the more optimistic. I could see my previous self from outside. And all those books from the library! I read ca. 12 books at the same time. Etc. Very good details in overall.

Well, this is my opinion. I watched the film twice, enjoyed both times.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.