WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

MOVIE RECOMMENDATIONS (non keanu)
LucaM
2013-05-22 19:27

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
I don't know anything about the bipolar condition, so really couldn't tell...
But I've read the book, and it's a completely different animal than the movie. It's darker, goes more into depth with each character... and at the same time it feels poorly written. The movie Hollywood-ized the story, completely rewrote the father character, left out big parts of the story, invented a bet that didn't exist in the book... and yet is more coherent, even if extremely clicheistic...

wasn't thrilled by any version, but I repeat, I'm just an outsider and don't know a thing about the clinical aspects of the condition, so...

ARYA
2013-05-24 02:37

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11

Take This Waltz
2011R116 minutes

Filmed in Toronto, this intimate, unflashy romantic drama portrays a happily married woman who experiences a sudden and strong desire for another man. Further complicating the situation, the object of her desire resides just across the street.

Cast:
Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen, Luke Kirby, Sarah Silverman, Jennifer Podemski, Diane D'Aquila
Director:
Sarah Polley
Genres:
Drama, Romantic Dramas, Indie Dramas, Indie Romance, Romantic Comedies, Indie Comedies, Blu-ray
This movie is:
Romantic, Understated
Format:
DVD, Blu-ray and streaming

I can recommend seeing this one. Just the Toronto locale is interesting.

ARYA
2013-05-25 03:03

My Afternoons with Margueritte
(My Afternoons with Margueritte)
2010NR82 minutes

An illiterate handyman named Germain (Gérard Depardieu) befriends Margueritte (Gisèle Casadesus), a highly educated 95-year-old woman. The two couldn't be more different, with the oafish Germain bewildered by the literature that gives Margueritte such pleasure. Slowly the two form an unusual and intense bond, leading them to a greater understanding of their place in the world, and in each other's lives.

Cast:
Gérard Depardieu, Gisèle Casadesus, Maurane, Patrick Bouchitey, Jean-François Stévenin, François-Xavier Demaison, Claire Maurier, Sophie Guillemin, Mélanie Bernier
Director:
Jean Becker
Genres:
Comedy, Foreign, Dramas Based on Contemporary Literature, Foreign Comedies, Foreign Dramas, French Language, France, Blu-ray
Language:
French
This movie is:
Heartfelt
Format:
DVD and Blu-ray

What can I say? I am a sucker for a happy ending. Recommend!
BTW, I can't go over this whole thread but did someone here post this movie and that's why I had it on my list?

ARYA
2013-06-03 00:20

I've not seen it but it looks sweet.

Wolf Children (2012)
"Okami kodomo no ame to yuki" (original title)
117 min - Animation | Fantasy - 21 July 2012 (Japan)

Ratings: 7.7/10 from 1,314 users
Reviews: 8 user | 29 critic

Director:
Mamoru Hosoda
Writers:
Mamoru Hosoda (story), Mamoru Hosoda (screenplay),

Joke
2013-06-03 10:43

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
Two recommendations.

Jagten (2012) aka The Hunt
Rundskop (2011) aka Bullhead

These movies have 2 things in common :

* They are very, very depressing
* The lead actor gives a great performance

Joke
2013-06-03 15:51

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
While I'm recommending depressing movies with great lead actors I really shouldn't forget this Japanese trilogy :

Ningen no joken (1959) aka The Human Condition

ARYA
2013-06-14 06:46

Aliens of the Deep
2005G47 minutes

Blending his directing skills and a personal passion, James Cameron trains his lens underwater to volcanic vents in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, where he's joined by a squad of NASA scientists and marine biologists. Part of a submerged mountain chain called the Mid-Ocean Ridge, the vents spew superheated water that serves as a haven for creatures unlike anything ever seen, including stomachless, 6-foot worms and sightless white crabs.

Cast:
Dr. Anatoly M. Sagalevitch, Genya Chernaiev, Victor Nischeta, Pamela Conrad, Dr. Arthur 'Lonne' Lane, Dr. Jim Childress, Dijanna Figueroa, Michael Henry, Kevin Hand
Director:
James Cameron, Steven Quale
Genres:
Documentary, Science and Nature Documentaries, Travel & Adventure Documentaries, IMAX
This movie is:
Understated
Format:
DVD

Freya
2013-07-12 01:26

Forum Posts: 777
Comments: 3
Sliding doors (1998)

For those who haven't watched that it makes you think about fate or coincidence.

ARYA
2013-07-24 04:05

Postcards from the Edge
1990R101 minutes

Carrie Fisher's scathing confessional novel -- adapted from her best-seller about a woman who becomes addicted to drugs while pursuing a Hollywood acting career -- makes a bitingly funny transition to the silver screen.

Cast:
Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Dennis Quaid, Gene Hackman, Richard Dreyfuss, Rob Reiner, Mary Wickes, Conrad Bain, Annette Bening, Simon Callow
Director:
Mike Nichols
Genres:
Comedy, Dark Humor & Black Comedies, Showbiz Comedies, Biographies
This movie is:
Cynical, Dark, Quirky, Understated, Witty
Format:
DVD

I still enjoy this flick, and now Carrie Fisher is doing the commentary. Lot of inside HW tales.

ARYA
2013-09-06 09:08

I heard Reeves make that somewhat disparaging remark about The Wolverine but I saw the trailer at the movies and it looks amazing. Just sayin...
anita7722013-09-06 09:59

Forum Posts: 143
Comments: 6
What disparaging remark?
ARYA
2013-09-21 00:13

HOPE ITS BETTER THAN THE LAST ONE.

The Little Prince
Animation | Fantasy
Not yet released
(voting begins after release)

A pilot crashes in the desert and meets a little boy from a distant planet.

Director:
Mark Osborne
Writers:
Irena Brignull (screenplay), Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (novel)
Stars:
James Franco, Rachel McAdams, Marion Cotillard | See full cast and crew

Karamelle
2013-10-07 03:06

Forum Posts: 50
Comments: 2
The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)

In the early 1980s, East Germany, bestselling author Georg Dreyman and his girlfriend, actress Christa-Maria Sieland are considered part of the intellectual elite of the communist state, even if they secretly do not adhere to party ideas.
The Ministry of Culture became interested in Christa and dispatched a secret agent named Wiesler, whose mission is to observe. As he progresses through the investigation, intellectual couple fascinates him more ...

Just watched it, this movie is moving, fascinating and surprising.
2006 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film

Christine2013-10-07 04:32

Forum Posts: 134

this movie is moving, fascinating and surprising.

Exactly, could not have described this film in a better way. Thank you Karamelle.

Christine2013-10-07 05:07

Forum Posts: 134
RUSH 2013 (October 3 rd, Germany)

I have not seen the film yet, but it is said to be great ! A re-creation of the merciless 1970s rivalry between Formula One rivals James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

Niki Lauda - he lives in Vienna and he is Austria`s one and only national hero....

ARYA
2013-10-08 00:20

@ Christine, I saw a trailer at the theater for RUSH and it looked like something I would watch.
And I will look for The Lives of Others Karamelle.
ARYA
2013-10-09 21:37

PULEEZE see this movie if at all possible.

Gypsy Caravan
(When the Road Bends: Tales of a Gypsy Caravan)
2006NR111 minutes

Join five international bands for a six-week tour of North America in an extravaganza of music and culture. The lyrical documentary features performances by Esma Redzepova, Maharaja, Fanfare Ciocarlia and other artists. Celebrate the diversity of the Romani people and their music, which includes flamenco, brass band, Indian folk, Romanian violin, jazz and raga. Johnny Depp, a fan of the Gypsy lifestyle, appears in this joyful musical portrait.

Cast:
Johnny Depp, Fanfare Ciocarlia, Taraf de Haidouks, Antonio El Pipa Flamenco Ensemble, Maharaja, Esma Redzepova
Director:
Jasmine Dellal
Genres:
Documentary, Rockumentaries, European Folk & Traditional Music, World Music
This movie is:
Inspiring
Format:
DVD

ChicFoo2013-10-15 10:01

Forum Posts: 7
Comments: 0
Here are some of my favs:

1. Angel-A

-Shot in Paris in one month. In French. Done by one of my fav directors, Luc Besson. (I think I love every film he's ever made.) A semi-comedy about a guy who owes a lot of money to the french version of the mob and is preparing to jump off of a bridge to kill himself. A ridiculously tall, gorgeous woman appears on the bridge with him and says she'll jump when he jumps. He then tries to talk her out of jumping...

2. Dreams--Akira Kurosawa. Amazing.

3. Paris, Je T'aime

-This movie is a series of vignettes by different directors, each assigned to one of the arrondissements (neighborhoods) in Paris. I especially like the story that features a middle-aged woman who takes beginning French course and then bravely travels to Paris alone. Each vignette has its own flavor--very entertaining.

ARYA
2013-12-24 04:29

http://youtu.be/VCTen3-B8GU

http://youtu.be/VCTen3-B8GU

Looks kinda great. But I can wait until it hits netflix.

LucaM
2013-12-24 04:39

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
I can't stand neither Depp nor Bettany, but I'll watch this movie because it's Wally Pfister's first directorial attempt. And I'm really curious about that.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.