WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Keanu Reeves Starring in 'Knock Knock' Thriller for Eli Roth

1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Keanu Reeves Starring in 'Knock Knock' Thriller for Eli Roth
Anakin McFly
2014-04-05 22:00

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1

... the only way I would ever go near an Eli Roth movie is this.

Inglorious Basterds was good, though I guess that wasn't technically an Eli Roth movie. :|

Wikipedia lists Paul Verhoeven's most well-known films as Starship Troopers, Robocop, Total Recall and Basic Instinct. Haven't seen that last one, but I love the others. Whereas I still have trouble dissociating Roman Polanski from his rape of a 13 year old girl. >_> I've probably seen and enjoyed a bunch of his films; and because I like to have faith in humanity, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt in believing that he was genuinely sorry and spent decades regretting what he did. But still. That was a lot of harm done to that woman, plus her then having to see so many celebrities defending him.

LucaM
2014-04-05 22:12

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
While I liked the idea and some of the execution of Inglorious Basterds... anything that Tarantino made after Pulp Fiction makes me go 'meh'. Too much gratuitous violence which I prefer to see in comics version.

I'm really not sure Eli Roth can 'pull' a Roman Polanski movie. But I'm willing to be proven wrong, and I guess the cast can help with that ;)

MmeRenard
2014-04-05 22:59

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
Arya, yes, I agree, the suffering in 47 Ronin has made me shaky, much as I love the film. Context creeps me out but then , so did Constantine.

And Santiago looks gorgeous! What a city!

MmeRenard
2014-04-05 23:03

Luca, regarding
"and armchair psychologist here, but does it look like he's really trying to shake off his 'hero' persona? ;) "

I think it's just acting. Something about the script has tweaked his interest, and hopefully that's good enough for me. The cover of the old version just about made me scream out loud, though.

MmeRenard
2014-04-05 23:07

Dunno about this. It's not listed on iMdB, they're usually on top of this.
axie
2014-04-05 23:14

Forum Posts: 345
Comments: 10
IMDB can take a while to update. This was announced yesterday around noon EST on Deadline. @EliRoth seems to confirm it. I wouldn't have posted it if it seemed dubious.
Joke
2014-04-05 23:15

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Well, I just watched Death Game. What a garbage movie, ugly and mean.

I really don't see what attracts Keanu to this. :-(

axie
2014-04-05 23:20

really don't see what attracts Keanu to this.

I can think of several reasons - first and foremost it is different. Some movies should make you uncomfortable IMHO it makes you think.

Its a remake though, it will be different. Sit back and enjoy the ride. ;)

MmeRenard
2014-04-05 23:21

Yeah, Joke, I'm with you. Looking up a little about this, seeing that Eli Roth directed 'Hostel' which sounded like a more disgusting Saw with less plot, I'm feeling almost physically nauseous. I'm thinking Saw (which I saw snippets of while channel-surfing and was thoroughly disgusted) because I refused to see Hostel, with Keanu in it? But more violent and more sexual? No, thank you. I don't need that. I can't imagine. If anyone could make this work, it surely is Keanu, but I truly can't imagine. Every other film, including The Watcher, which totally sucked, had some interesting aspect. I don't know.

This is an exceptionally rare case where I'd ask "what the hell, man?"

LucaM
2014-04-05 23:30

dunno; with Reeves, it always seemed to be more than 'just acting'. then again, we all see what we want to see.
MmeRenard
2014-04-05 23:42

I'm oversimplifying, Luca, but as an actor, this isn't something he's done before (thank heavens). I've never seen him do a film without a strong moral element, though never preachy.
Anakin McFly
2014-04-05 23:43

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Never seen Hostel (and the summary sounds unappealing) or Saw; although I did read the Saw script, years ago, and thought it was a brilliant concept. Maybe watching the thing is different, given that mere words tend to lack blood and screaming, but I liked its twisted exploration of the human condition beneath the horror - like how a person who had been about to commit suicide started desperately fighting for his life when captured and threatened with impending death, making him realise at the end that he did, after all, want to live.

It was about the villain forcing people - through extreme measures - to re-evaluate their lives and priorities, and I loved that. I'm not sure if I could watch the actual film though. A few years ago, almost-definitely, but I've since grown older and my stomach weaker. :|

I don't know about the original Death Game and it doesn't sound like something I'd want to watch, but going by the summary alone and the fact that this is a remake, I think I can see some of what attracted Keanu to the project:

Namely, it's about pushing a normal, happy, well-adjusted guy through hell. And maybe he comes out okay. Maybe he finds his strength and survives. I don't know, but it reminds me a lot of what Keanu said about Tiger's journey in Man of Tai Chi: the attempted corruption of the innocent, only for goodness to still prevail. I think there's something about that concept that Keanu likes a lot.

LucaM
2014-04-05 23:56

But how do we know there isn't some moral element in this yet-to-be-made movie?
axie
2014-04-05 23:58

Yes Eli Roth really got started in horror and a great deal of his early films were very low budget but popular, in fact one could say he has a huge cult-following.

KR had expressed a desire in an interview last year [?] sometime about wanting to maybe do some horror and he has repeatedly stated musical as well.

It isn't for me to second guess. I'll either like it or not. IMHO it sounds like fun. Plus, good actors are always looking for new things, new challenges, doing something unexpected.

This from the Deadline link:

"There is already scrapping going on by foreign sales companies chasing the international rights, and domestic distributors. CAA will be selling the domestic rights with Cassian Elwes and most of the dealmaking will take place in Cannes.

Camp, Roth, Nicolas Lopez, Miguel Asensio, Cassian Elwes and Tim DeGraye are producing, while Teddy Schwarzman, Reeves, Peter Traynor, Larry Spiegel and Sondra Locke are exec producers."

He's on there as executive producer. Would not surprise me if making this will help something else get made.

MmeRenard
2014-04-06 00:06

Luca, we don't, and that's a really great question. The premise, without the graphic cruelty and torture, which I could not abide, could be interesting. I don't like horror movies, I don't like graphic and gratuitous violence, which seem to be Eli Roth's thing.
I found the little bit of Saw that I (sorry) saw to be disgusting and pointless "what can you force a person to do if they're desperate enough?" Disingenuous at best. Many people, probably most, will do a lot if they must. I don't find that remarkable.

Maybe worth mentioning that I have still seen far less confirmation of this than I'd expect, and Roth's stated budget of $10 million total and also expectation of being finished for both Toronto and Cannes seem frankly odd. I could, of course, be wrong. Incredible concept, I know.

Christine2014-04-06 00:11

Forum Posts: 134
Comments: 3
I trust in Keanu, he knows what to do.(Speeed 2 !) Normally he would be filming Passengers in Berlin these days, I think he is able to react flexible and instead of waiting he will do what he loves the most: Working. Well done K.

LucaM
2014-04-06 00:17

Deadline's own Mike Fleming JR reported having heard the confirmation directly from the horse's, er, Roth's mouth, and who am I to doubt Deadline ? ;)

Mention: no-one said the movie will be ready for Cannes. Roth allegedly said he 'can have this movie ready for Toronto if he needs to'. He also allegedly said "I wanted to make a movie like Roman Polanski or Paul Verhoeven made when they were young, a classic psychosexual thriller that’s not a horror movie, but would have everyone on the edge of their seats."

Anyway, the team that produced and directed the original movie is on board for this... and the article was published on April 4th... so it kinda looks legit.

axie
2014-04-06 00:26

Yeah the official Eli Roth twitter a/c has re-tweeted the links. I doubt it will be ready for a showing at Cannes, either. However, there seems to be a lot of positive buzz for it.
MmeRenard
2014-04-06 00:29

Luca, I was actually agreeing with you about the "moral aspect."

It is not that I don't trust Keanu's creative choices. Far from it. I am not, however, going to say "doesn't this sound wonderful?!" when I have reservations. If a "real fan" never asks "what the heck?" Well, 20 years plus, I must not be a "real fan." Oh well. Nor am I saying he shouldn't do what he likes, far from it. Merely saying, rather clearly, that I do not want to see him being tormented. Just my personal thing. "Your mileage may vary" as we used to say.

ARYA
2014-04-06 00:37

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11

"Your mileage may vary" as we used to say.

yes :)

1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.