WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: High School. . .Dahhh. . .

[1] 2 3 4 5

High School. . .Dahhh. . .
Spirit
2014-08-13 09:34

Forum Posts: 155
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
So in six days I start my freshman year of high school (well, I already started it if you count band camp. . . geeze that was SO much hectic marching), and mid-way through a panic attack, I wondered if anyone here had any tips for surviving it. Normally there's freshman day, which would be great in helping learn where everything is, but this year, the school's being renovated, so NO freshman day. . . and also no girls bathroom at the moment. . .

Anyways, it all seems reeeeaaallly overwhelming. Any tips? Experiences? Free cookies?

-Spirit

allhailkingjack
2014-08-13 12:20

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
Huh? You have to have a girls' bathroom. I'm pretty sure it's illegal not to.

Advice...let's see:

You seemed a little apologetic in your other post about being a music geek. Don't be sorry for that. I was one too. It made me happy and it's a great confidence builder.

Try to branch out and get involved in or good at more than one thing. Challenge yourself.

Don't waste your time worrying about idiots who make fun of you. Anyone who would stoop to that level is so weak and simple-minded that their good opinion is not worth having.

If you're going through a tough time, for the love of God TALK TO SOMEONE. Speaking as a parent, I can't bear the thought of my kids suffering in silence. Believe me, we'd rather know the worst about you so we can help you than learn of your pain once it's too late. And having made our share of stupid mistakes, we're probably less judgmental than you think. But if you can't talk to your folks, go see the guidance counselor. Just TALK TO SOMEONE you look up to.

Homework first, then fun time. Developing this habit early in life will serve you well later on.

NO SEXTING OR RELATED ACTIVITIES OF ANY KIND. Kids your age will throw that mess on social media quicker than you can blink, and it will follow you for years.

DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN SITUATIONS WHERE SOMEONE ELSE HAS POWER OVER YOU. This is the single best reason to abstain from alcohol, regardless of what the law says. Related to which, don't get in a car with drunk people, or even sober people if they drive like idiots.

Good luck and go get 'em. :)

ShadowSpark
2014-08-13 14:00

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33
I'm not sure how much help I can be, considering my high school experience was far from typical. For one, my mom is one of the two founding teachers still left at our local high school, so I pretty much grew up in her chemistry lab, and I knew all the teachers way before I started there. Two, I live in a small town, and the 2011 graduating class only had around 100 students (the total number of students in the school is around 500) - and due to medical issues, I had to leave in the middle of senior year and ended up taking my GED.

So, my advice might not be helpful, but here's what my mom (who still teaches chemistry and physics) has to say:

Hi. I would agree with the poster above - get involved in something you enjoy. You'll make friends that way. Along the same lines, explore a little. If a class sounds interesting, see if you can take it as one of your electives.

I assume they have some sort of bathroom available for the girls to use - I think it is illegal to leave students without access.

Get to know your teachers. You should have at least one adult on campus you're comfortable talking to and trust. If you're not sure about something, they can be good people to talk to.

Your parents are also good people to talk to. Remember, they went to high school too! There's probably very little you can tell them that will shock them, and they'll probably have good advice.

DO NOT SEXT OR ANYTHING SIMILAR. General rule is that if it's something you wouldn't want your grandmother to see, don't post it! Figure that nothing you post will remain private, even if the recipient promises to keep it secret. It will get out there.

Before you do something, take a moment to decide if it's something you really want to do!

DO NOT DO DRUGS, ALCOHOL, OR SMOKE! If someone is encouraging you to "just try it", THEY ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND!!

In general, the best advice I can give is: DON'T PANIC!! Relax, keep on top of your work, and enjoy high school!

I hope this is helpful. :)

Spirit
2014-08-14 00:44

Thanks for the advice you guys!

I forgot to mention that my mom actually works at the school, and so far that has been a good thing.

We think they might delay our school starting and just let the rest of the area go, partially because of the bathroom thing, but mainly because you still aren't aloud in the building without a hardhat, and I don't think they have about 1,500 hardhats for all the students and employees.

If I remain sane and myself, then I will NEVER do drugs. I have a one friend in particular that does, and although I love her like a sister, I don't think she's heading anywhere good in life. (and yes, she is getting help, it just doesn't seem to be doing much)

Sexting is definitely a big NO. I'll very happily keep on my t-shirts and sweatpants and/or trenchcoat.

Does fanfiction count as social media? Does this? Because those are the two accounts closest.

Anyways, thanks again, and let us hope that they finish at least one of the girls bathrooms, or else you will need a half an hour hallpass at least to run down the road to WalMart, and no one who has to pee wants to run to WalMart.

ShadowSpark
2014-08-14 10:15

What does your mom do?
Spirit
2014-08-14 10:24

She works with the special ed. (mentally/physically disabled, behavioral disorder, etc.) kids, and does lunches and things, checks the halls, handles early dismissals, that kind of stuff.
Anakin McFly
2014-08-14 11:55

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
yesss, band! :D

I was no good at surviving school, plus I'm in Singapore - which has a fairly different educational environment - so I unfortunately don't have much advice. But trenchcoats are good.

Fanfiction isn't social media, though it's sometimes distributed on social media. This isn't either, strictly speaking, though it's a grey line. But we're all nice people here so that's okay. :| Social media is more of Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr, which can and often does get horribly nasty.

Spirit
2014-08-14 12:25

So I've heard. Glad that I can honestly say I don't have any of those, plus the freetime I have during facebook safety assemblies is always great.

GO BAND!!! (And Archery, for any fellow shooters here!) :)

Spirit
2014-08-20 10:28

Random update for anybody who cares: Two days in, and I realize I was worried for nothing. High School is great! :D
Anakin McFly
2014-08-20 10:57

ADMIN

Glad to hear that! :)
ShadowSpark
2014-08-23 08:21

Archery is fun. I need a new bowstring before I can get back to it, though. My current one is fraying.
Spirit
2014-08-26 20:13

I can't wait for November so my school can start shooting as a team again. And we're doing ultimate Frisbee in gym, and it reminds me of Tron. Is that a justified thought, or has it really been that long since I last watched it?
ShadowSpark
2014-08-26 22:08

It is a justified thought indeed! But if you haven't watched Tron in a while, you should watch it again. ;)
Spirit
2014-08-27 00:27

I might just have to do that tonight. :)
Spirit
2014-09-25 10:13

@Spark, rewatched the original Tron and Tron Legacy. I have no idea why it had been years since I had last watched. It was amazing. . . !!!!!!!!

Another random update: My lovely seasonal allergies which make nose-breathing and correct pronunciation nearly impossible, coincide perfectly with auditions for the school play. Wish me luck. :|

Anakin McFly
2014-09-25 15:44

ADMIN

Good luck!

Fun fact: Keanu had a cold while filming Feeling Minnesota, and every now and then you can spot him trying to stifle a sneeze, or absently rubbing his nose.

marivicbartolata
2014-09-25 20:14

Forum Posts: 51
Comments: 15
I suppose Keanu had a cold in the john wick interview on youtube based on the sound of his voice and the number of times he touched his nose.
Spirit
2014-09-29 07:51

Aaaaaand I got nothing. :( Oh well, always the musical in the spring (and the other three years of highschool).

Hmm.... Looks like I'll have to pay close attention whenever it is that I manage to watch that movie.

On a brighter note though, we're having a spirit week this week. Monday for the heroes/villains theme I'm doing a rendition of a Matrix rebels outfit for a lack of a better day to do it. (with my grandmothers trench coat no less, as I don't have my own yet) And for Thursday, the day for favorite characters, I shall break back out my Doc Brown costume from last year. This'll be quite a good week!

(And for those of you who actually read and respond to these random weird updates on my life, much appreciated!! Y'all beith awesome!! )

neaura
2014-09-29 15:15

Forum Posts: 247
Comments: 8
:-) :-) glad you are enjoying. Hope you get to do that always.
Well, i honestly do not know the high school ways in the west. It's completely different here in India. It was a convent atmosphere for me so, I actually dint get to have much fun but I do love my school.

Ps, your random weird updates are much appreciated, takes me back a few years :-)

Spirit
2014-10-01 08:11

My History teacher now calls me Neo, and I actually respond to it. I'm thinking the first Matrix Monday was a success.

[1] 2 3 4 5

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.