WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: John Rain

1 2 3 [4]

John Rain
MmeRenard
2018-05-18 11:18:51

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
Yeah, I'm delighted that "John Rain" is apparently not happening, because Barry Eisler has one tenuous grip on morality: "Barry Eisler
@barryeisler
·
2h
To deny that torture is a part of what America stands for, a reflection of American values, a component of who we are, is…denial. "

Posted today. Not surprising, I guess, from "exCIA"

And I'll be really disappointed if it does get made with Keanu, and I won't watch it if it does.

Anakin McFly
2018-05-21 09:28:46

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
I read that tweet (and his replies to you) as a criticism of America trying to deny or cover up the dark parts of itself instead of facing responsibly up to it, rather than condoning torture. i.e. that it shouldn't be an American value, but its proliferation suggests that it's being treated as such, and that needs to change.
MmeRenard
2018-05-21 09:59:04

Well, I'm an American, and not unique in finding torture abhorrent. I know what you're saying, but to even imply that torture is "effective" promotes entirely the wrong frame of reference. I can and usually do see both sides of an argument, but I find no room whatever for an "argument" that excuses or permits torture in any way. I've been consistently disgusted by shows like 24 and Homeland that portray it as "necessary." There's no middle ground for me on this.
MmeRenard
2018-05-21 10:11:08

Maybe this belongs elsewhere, and I don't mind a bit if it gets moved. Do we want to talk about violence in fiction? I'm a pacifist and almost a Buddhist. I love good action films and see violence in movies as fiction. I don't think that violent movies (necessarily) provoke violent acts. It depends for me on how the violence is part of the story - as extremely violent as John Wick is, for example, the violence is integral to the story and I wouldn't call it generally gratuitous. At moments, perhaps. It's complicated.

1 2 3 [4]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.