Keanu Reeves Articles and Interviews Archive
Number of articles: 3154
(Mobile users – to access the archive, tap 'Articles' on the drop-down menu.)
This archive is the result of the combined efforts of Keanu fans through the ages: started by the Gardeners at the Garden of Keanadu more than 20 years ago, then moved to Reeves Drive, then bought over by Club Keanu, then rebuilt here at WINM when CK crashed in 2008 – I offered to collect and compile articles that fans had saved, in a task that spanned 40 days. We managed to salvage 840 articles by the end of it. About 300 could not be tracked down.
I've been curating this archive ever since. I hope for it to be a useful resource for Keanu fans both old and new, as well as a legacy of the amazing life and career of Keanu Charles Reeves. There is something inherently epic about following a life over a period of about 30 years, and it is a great tale filled with angst and whoa about the possibly-immortal Canadian kid from the broken family who rose to fame through sheer determination and the persistent will to improve, surviving personal tragedies and the relentless barrage of critics to emerge as one of Hollywood's most reluctant stars.
This archive is a window not only into Keanu's journey but also into how celebrity journalism has evolved (or devolved) since the 1980s. It's fascinating how journalists can twist words; context is everything. An answer can change so drastically when stripped of such essential phrases as "he said sarcastically" or "I'm kidding". Others have gone so far as to quote Keanu's words as replies to completely different questions, making them strange and ill-fitting at best, or rude and ignorant at worst. I caught at least one journalist blatantly plagiarising another. A simple misinterpreted phrase can blow up into a story that goes viral on the internet; a single girl's whisper can evolve over the years into a crowd of chanting women; and Keanu can be allegedly involved in a gay wedding simultaneously held in Los Angeles, Hawaii, the Hamptons and France, all while he was off working in Canada.
Speaking of which:
Not everything in these articles can be taken as fact. This archive is, first and foremost, a record of Keanu's life as print media has presented it. Some articles were poorly researched and full of inaccuracies, others were based on unsubstantiated rumours, others were outright fabricated, others are from tabloids. Keanu's name is pronounced kay-ah-nu, not kee-ah-noo. He never converted to Buddhism. He did not marry David Geffen. He did not marry Alan Cumming. He did not marry Autumn Mackintosh. He did not marry Jennifer Syme. He did not marry you. He never engaged in naked swimming pool frolics with Sharon Stone, though he later said he wished that were true. And his parents' names are Patricia Taylor and Samuel Reeves Jr., not 'Patricia Cholmondley' and 'Milo'.
I kept all these in because quite a few had an impact on Keanu's public image, but I include notes where possible if I know an article has been proven false.
I definitely don't have every single thing ever written about Keanu, but my aim is instead to provide a representative archive that can give a fairly accurate account of Keanu's life... or at least, what the media would like you to think Keanu's life is.
He's still a celebrity, after all. For most of us, the media's constructed image of him is all we have to go on. And unless we know Keanu personally, it is that image – rather than the real person – that we are either fans or critics of. It's all illusions we recall. We really don't know Reeves at all.
But we still can try. Enjoy the archive!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and views expressed in these articles belong to that of their respective authors. They are not in any way representative of those held by WINM or any of the archive's previous curators.
ORIGINS: The original Club-Keanu articles archive; saved or cached articles from the discontinued sites KeanuWeb, Keanu A-Z and keanu-web.net; the 999 Squares Keanu archive; Google News Alerts; helpful people, to whom I am eternally grateful.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS: I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has in some way contributed to this collection:
1) Club Keanu and all the other fansites who began and oversaw this archive before I took over, without whom this archive will not exist. The footprints of those previous archivers still remain in small notes or comments scattered here and there amongst the articles. It's a testament to the awesome decade-spanning teamwork in this fandom, and I'm honoured to be a part of it.
2) Fiercelyred and LucaM, who contributed to the bulk of the originally salvaged articles, as well as everyone else who has taken the effort to send me articles I did not yet have.
3) All of you who have helped with the translations, either directly or indirectly: keanugirl76 for the Italian and Spanish translations, Fiercelyred for the German and Dutch, Sephonae for the Spanish and LucaM for the Romanian; as well as everyone else who has pitched in along the way. If you were responsible for one of the translations or transcriptions in this archive and would like to be credited, feel free to e-mail me.
4) Those of you who helped me to type out and/or scan in articles for inclusion – you know who you are. Especially to HyperCaz, who typed out a very long article only to discover I already had it. Your effort shall be remembered. You will not have worked in vain.
5) Keanu Reeves. For existing, and continuing to inspire us: Thank you.