Tentative site move
Anakin McFly
2008-08-26 11:59:24

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
standby

LucaM informed me that freewebtown has been labelled as an attack site that has been hijacked to download strange viruses, and other people from IMDb have told me the same thing about my other FWT site.

So if this is the case and access to WINM gets completely killed, two options here:

1) Shift to freewebs.com; I've reserved the http://www.freewebs.com/whoaisnotme address, so that's on standby

2) Buy my own domain. This is making me strangely excited because I have money! due to saved salary from previous job and I've always wanted a domain.

But I don't know if it'll be worth whatever price I'll end up paying, and/or if I will be able to sustain a sufficient cashflow (current allowance from parents = $150/ month; hard-earned cash saved in main bank account = $4,000; cash saved in other bank account >$12,000, but I'm not supposed to touch that one because it's my college fund or something. Though I'm already in college. Er.

If I do that, I would probably very much extend WINM in order to make it worth the cost of the domain. Might have to end up doing stuff that can get money, too.
LucaM
2008-08-26 14:30:28

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Thank you !

as I said, don't wanna loose my favorite site.
besides, I love the crusade

if you decide to buy your own domain, I'm willing to participate in sharing the costs.
although it will be an adventure transferring money from Romania to Singapore... ( Romanian banks....aaaaargh !!!!) but we'll find a way.

keanugirl762008-08-26 14:45:06

Forum Posts: 268
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
For instance, with Paypal or Moneybookers. I've always used these payment methods (even from Italy to Indonesia) and up to now I've never had any problem with them.
Anakin McFly
2008-08-26 18:34:40

ADMIN

...According to Yahoo!Domains, it's $9.95 per year.

I suspect a catch somewhere. Or maybe not, because I saw similar low pricing in the less dodgy sites. But if it's really that cheap, then I'm definitely going for it. And I should be able to cover the full cost. It's just one day a year without lunch.

Waiting for my friends who might know more about this whole thing to comment, but until then; any of you have any experience in the area? How's the thing work? What does the cost cover?

Oh - and if you're having Trojan virus attacks on your computer, download Spybot: Search and Destroy. It's the best one so far and has saved my laptop many times.
ckage
2008-08-26 19:06:42

Forum Posts: 474
Comments: 6
Domains are cheap; the space, and certain functionalities is what can get rather expensive... but a basic plan is more than enough for you site.

Anakin McFly
2008-08-26 21:16:19

ADMIN

Okie.

But how exactly does it work? Like the uploading and all that... and do they usually have site traffic stats reports, and things like guestbooks, or polls?
ckage
2008-08-26 23:51:54

Forum Posts: 474
Comments: 6
I think most hosting services let you use your own FTP program (Cute FTP, etc). When they don't, they have a web-based uploader. But using an FTP program is usually easier, and faster.

LucaM
2008-08-27 00:24:10

* updates Spybot and starts search and destroy session*

thanks for reminding me...

hope it works.
last month I lost all my personal files and archives... due to the stupidity of a so-called IT guy...

*reconsiders the enormous importance of backup sessions *
eh...
LucaM
2008-08-27 00:28:55

totally off-topic but... LOVE the banner.

yes, the wall. THAT wall
keanugirl762008-08-27 14:48:42

Forum Posts: 268
Comments: 0
Yes, Spybot is excellent. I use it too.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.