WINM Forums :: The Website :: Bring on the contradictory comments...

Bring on the contradictory comments...
Anakin McFly
2008-03-04 13:34:02

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Been wanting to do this for some time. Basically I thought it would be interesting to get an archive of people saying opposite things about the same performances or characteristics of Keanu's.

For example, some reviews for A Walk in the Clouds:

"This is his most engaging performance yet. While his character is anything but complex, he finds and projects a decency that fills him out a bit and adds to his appeal." - Boston Globe

"[Keanu has emerged as a] mature, charismatic movie star... Reeves' face is the movie's locus of kindness and decency - and he stands up to scrutiny. There's not just sweetness there but depth." - San Francisco Chronicle

And for the exact same film:

"Keanu Reeves in one of his off roles, sleepwalking dutifullly but seeming to share the audience's bewilderment over how he wound up in this awkward, slow-moving story." - New York Times

"[Keanu's performance was like] a flat root beer" - USA Today

---

People who declare The Gift his worst film ever, those who insist that he should stick solely to romance, those who insist he should do anything but romance, those who claim that he's emotionless and monotone, those who claim that he definitely can't pull off playing an emotionless and monotone alien... All that goes here.

Comments can be from fans and haters alike.
nancloutier
2008-03-04 13:45:24

Forum Posts: 40
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Oh I just posted this in the other thread, but while Keanu usually gets blamed for doing too little acting, here he gets called an "overactor"

link
Anakin McFly
2008-03-08 09:55:52

ADMIN

"I have just watched The Devil's advocate and his performance in it was so poor that I could not stop laughing with embarassment all the way throught. His voice doesn't help either. I am not sure who is worse, him or Stallone." - friendsforever2000
Anakin McFly
2008-07-22 18:09:10

ADMIN

Clearing the backlog:

"Like for example if you watch Dream to believe, some of his acting in it, in my opinion, is cringeable, like some of the things he says. And then you watch, for instance, Hardball and I think he did really well in it, and The Gift too. Perhaps it's just the characters, who knows but whatever I love seeing Keanu's journey. My Own Private Idaho is my favourite movie by him, well actually I don't know if it is, I just love that movie though... Him and River were brilliant actors, especially when together. "
- mintxphoenix

"KR is a big time crap actor and his acting in devil's advocate was flat and boring. I have watched some of his movies and at best he can pull off some semi-decent action film." - petitprince-3

"IÆm sorry, I canÆt take anybody seriously who says that his performance in DevilÆs Advocate was anything but atrocious." - Digglahhh

On thread entitled 'keanus best performance is in ...": "devil's advocate" by far. he showed the most range in that role." - daddio_rc

"Anybody doubting Keanu's acting skills, watch him in The Devil's Advocate, that remains to be HIS BEST ACTING PERFORMANCE EVER!! You truly believe his sadness and feel his pain in that flick. That's an awesome movie." - koffeenkreame41-1

"He's such a film-to-film kind of actor. Like every time I watch the first Matrix I can't believe how corny he is, yet he can pull off a character like Constantine so well and seemingly so effortlessly. Guess it depends on the direction, idk..." - mrandolph83

"I don't really want to bash Keanu cause i already went through that debate but he dissapointed me here, He actually changed my mind of him when i saw him in Constantine a while back where he was actually quite good." - juelz-kidd

"Cool Breeze Reeves isn't the cinematic poison you all seem to think he is. He is by no means a great actor, but put him in the right role and he's pretty damn solid (see THE MATRIX and CONSTANTINE)." - Finding Forrestal

"He sucked as John Constantine, he sucked in The Gift, he sucked in The DevilÆs Advocate but he showed dramatic weight in The Lake House and was fun in Point Break." - Matt Holmes

"Goddamn that movie sucked so much ass. Man, he was horrible in that. Like more horrible than usual." - Quesazilla on The Lake House

"This is the only film that I've ever thought Keanu was any good in. He actually acted in this.

(I include the Matrix in above comment, that was more special effects)" - lanna on The Watcher
Anakin McFly
2008-07-27 12:29:03

ADMIN

Continuing the dump:

"I'm not really a huge fan of Keanu's acting. My friends and I are always mimicking his bad english accent in Bram Stoker's Dracula. I Also thought it was a funny choice to cast the pasty white skinned Keanu as an Indian man. However, despite this I thought he was damn good in this film. Am I alone in thinking this may be some of his best acting? The Matrix films were great but the Neo character isn't much of a stretch for him. I think Keanu proves his versatility in this role." - kaguth27 on Little Buddha

"In terms of good acting though, how about his role in Branagh's "Much Ado About Nothing"? He played Denzel Washington's brother and I thought his monotone delivery was a perfect accent to the part." - uacton

"IN terms of best role I think after watching it yesterday it was in A Walk in the Clouds was Keanu best role and today I just finished Little Buddah and also found him a little awkward as Siddartha (maybe too orange but Im not really familiar with Siddhartha except for this movie and a review on the book about him.)" - Pulp_Lacoste18

"I believe that Kenau made his best performance in "the gift", he was really awesome in that movie." - Mini___Me
ckage
2008-07-28 21:38:27

Forum Posts: 474
Comments: 6
That's some interesting dumping, Anakin.

Anakin McFly
2008-07-31 17:34:48

ADMIN

More! more! more!

Man, the DA boards are full of this.

"I really liked it too, despite all the negative stuff I'm reading on this board. Pacino just appears to be having a ball with this character and this was definitely one of Keanu Reeves' strongest performances." - Isaac5855

"I loved this movie too but I don't think it's overrated. For the only simple reason - Keanu's acting is AWFUL. Really, he's a total tragedy imho. I thought Lomax's role isn't an easy one so I don't get why the *beep* did they give it to one of the most talentless hollywood actors? While Pacino and Theron act really great here that gay *beep* it up with his crappy accent and laming. He was fine as Neo but as a 'ruthless hotshot unbeatable lawyer'.... - give me a break plz. I can name at least 10 other actors that would've filled this role better and would've made this movie a 10/10 work." - wolfelemental

"10/10 this film is to me, it should be in the top 250 its definetly hugely underrated, all the cast members give brilliant performances, Keanu Reeves should got an oscar for this." - screamingforscream

"this movie had a great script and superb acting!! I can't see why people are saying it's OVERRATED!! The acting of Reaves and Pacino take the cake." - Anjie98

"The acting in this movie was a joke. Keanu was his usual deadpan self and even Pacino seemed overly excited. " - antisthenes45
Anakin McFly
2008-08-11 20:36:12

ADMIN

"Keanu was great in "A walk in the Clouds" and many other films, so I'm not especially worried that he's playing Klaatu." - Bassthang
EllieP2008-08-12 01:55:40

Forum Posts: 110
At times like this I often wonder, Anakin, is you photo memory a blessing or a curse?

(No, I'm not trying to be sarcatic....ok maybe only a little but it's a genuine question)
Anakin McFly
2008-08-12 11:27:09

ADMIN

Nothing to do with memory here. I just copy and paste stuff whenever I see it.
TheWyleyOne
2008-08-13 19:04:36

Forum Posts: 115

(Anakin McFly @ Jul 27 2008, 12:29 PM)
Continuing the dump:

"I'm not really a huge fan of Keanu's acting. My friends and I are always mimicking his bad english accent in Bram Stoker's Dracula. "

Really, after all this time? This is the only thing they do for fun? Poor kids, they probably don't get out much.
Anakin McFly
2009-02-19 20:59:18

ADMIN

FairyGirl2003: "the only movies i liked of his where The Lake House (best chick flick ever) and the first Bill and Ted movie."

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.