Good essay on celebrity fandom
Anakin McFly
2010-03-14 17:11

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
From its concluding paragraph:

Fans have a bad habit of idealizing their favorite celebrities and putting them atop pedestals. It is an obsessive quality that shows a stark trend in our modern society, the idea that one person can do no wrong. I argue that we should stop promoting celebrities as good role models and start taking a closer look at ourselves.

http://x-heterophobic.livejournal.com/47533.html

(and, uh, yeah, that overly-long comment over there that goes on about Keanu for about 65% of its length is mine.)

SO. Keanu. How does it apply, or not apply, and does it matter, and should we get a life, or is this our life? Is Keanu really less fake than the rest of Hollywood, or is that too all a deliberate ploy, as lflipout and others would maintain? To what degree is he controlled by his people, and by what degree does he control us by the image he presents? Has this changed over the years? And how do we know? Can we know?

...it's the question that drives us.

ARYA
2010-03-15 10:09

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Yes Anakin, it is the question that drives us...I'm leaning towards keanu being a better role model than 99% of celebrity.
Anakin McFly
2010-03-15 10:52

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Although lflipout believes otherwise and would use this as proof that we are all deluded. :(
lindawn
2010-03-15 19:09

Forum Posts: 102
Comments: 14
Reviews: 0
Well, if I'm insane just let me be. I like the world I live in. It is very pleasant and has wonderful company.
nafsunaek
2010-03-16 06:48

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
Reviews: 0
We can't know, but, for some reason - a different reason for each of us, probably - we like him or his work or the perception we have of him. So he fills part of our lives - and we are happy. And one last thing, liking him, being fans of him, has enabled us to meet other people who feel as we do, and that is truly great!
ARYA
2010-03-16 09:57

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
[quote]Although lflipout believes otherwise and would use this as proof that we are all deluded. :( [quote]

Have you seen the garbage she posts? Why would you care what she said?

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.