WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: NEUROMANCER

NEUROMANCER
ARYA
2011-05-23 04:14

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Has anyone heard who's in the cast? I saw a site said it was Hayden Christenson and that it had distribution but nothing listed at IMDb under either Christenson or Vincenzo Natalie. Only its coming out in 2011 which would lead me to believe it's filmed already?
inkhuldra
2011-05-23 04:49

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Reviews: 0
I didn't know anyone was even working on it.

This is from Wikipedia:

In May 2007 reports emerged that a film was in the works, with Joseph Kahn (director of Torque) in line to direct and Milla Jovovich in the lead role. In May 2010 this story was supplanted with news that Vincenzo Natali, director of Cube and Splice, had taken over directing duties and would rewrite the screenplay. In March 2011, with the news that Seven Arts and GFM Films would be merging their distribution operations, it was announced that the joint venture would be purchasing the rights to Neuromancer under Vincenzo Natali's direction at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival. Natali's film went into pre-production in May 2011, and filming is expected to begin in 2012.

Doesn't look as if Jovovich is in it, which is a shame. I like her.

Edit:

Looks like Gibson isn't backing this project. Somebody posted this in the IMDB forums:

From Gibson's blog...

"THAT NEUROMANCER SCRIPT

I did not write that. (I’m assuming there is still only the one, which as far as I know is by Chuck Russell.) I had absolutely nothing to do with that. The problem is that shabby Dickensian script-floggers throw away the original title-page, forge one with my name on it, then charge more. This is an item I refuse to sign. (Though I have signed a few, bleeding heart that I am, when some poor sucker has stood in line for an hour or more; I sign them “I didn’t write a word of this – WG.”) "

ARYA
2011-05-23 09:19

The newest I read was that they got a distribution deal at Cannes and that Gibson did endorse the latest draft of the script. I'm sorry but I can't locate the article.
LucaM
2011-05-23 17:35

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
http://www.digitaltrends.com/entertainment/neuromancer-film-adaptation-begins-pre-production/

ARYA- you posted it yourself in the Reading List thread ;) :)

ARYA
2011-05-23 20:48

"Neuromancer" Goes Into Pre-Production
SlashFilm (USA) -- May 19, 2011

After years in development, Vincenzo Natali's Neuromancer is finally moving forward. According to a press release, the film has secured sales from distributors at Cannes and visual effects work has already begun. Filming will begin in 2012 with locations in Canada, Istanbul, Tokyo, and London.

Neuromancer is an adaptation of William Gibson’s award-winning book of the same name. The book is widely regarded as visionary, foretelling certain aspects of the internet and coining the term "cyberspace".

[source]

- - -

Keanu Reeves (not involved with this project) starred in the 1995 feature film "Johnny Mnemonic", based on a short story by the same author.

ARYA
2011-05-23 20:53

@Luca, Thanks for finding my own post! I was wondering why no cast is up yet at IMDb. Nothing there yet. And this is a major deal so those sci fi fanboys/girls are not keeping up.
I would like to hear that they offered this to reeves on a silver platter...since I never made it through the book I don't know if he's the right age but that can always be changed in a script.
LucaM
2011-05-24 00:32

naw, he already was Johnny Mnemonic, who was a sort of a 'draft' for Neuromancer's Case (the main character). And actually, there was a lot of Case in his Johnny ;)
As far as I know, Case is in his late twenties. And not only the age wouldn't be right, but in my opinion, K is past playing that type of characters; he moved on to more complex ones. ( that's not to say Johnny or Case were 'simple'. but Constantine and even Henry are much more complex )

BUT K as Turner from 'Count Zero' ( the 'sequel' to Neuromancer and the second book of the Sprawl trilogy) ... now that would be something I'd like to see :D

ARYA
2011-05-24 04:47

Thanks for the info LucaM. Very impressive you read that trilogy. WTG!
LucaM
2011-05-24 04:51

blame the Wachowskis. they threw so many references in that movie, I had to look them up :D Gibson's books are just some of the worlds I discovered during this journey...
ARYA
2011-06-16 09:07

http://www.planetdamage.com/2011/05/19/neuromancer-finally-in-pre-production-read-more-about-previous-producer-hell/

http://www.planetdamage.com/2011/05/19/neuromancer-finally-in-pre-production-read-more-about-previous-producer-hell/

Someone at IMDb sent me this link.

Gina
2011-07-27 06:04

Forum Posts: 66
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
I've read Neuromancer and some of Gibson's other work.

Am I the only one who doesn't want a movie for this ?

LucaM
2011-07-27 06:22

not sure I want a Neuromancer movie either.
but if they make it, I'll watch it.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.