WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: Leonard Cohen Wins Prestigeous Spanish Award

Leonard Cohen Wins Prestigeous Spanish Award
ARYA
2011-06-01 21:39

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Canadian singer Leonard Cohen has won a Prince of Asturias award, one of eight given annually in Spain for achievement in the arts or sciences.

Cohen will be awarded the Letters prize from the Prince of Asturias foundation for his poetic gifts and thought-provoking songs, a jury announced Wednesday.

"Considered one of the most influential authors of our time, his poems and songs have beautifully explored the major issues of humanity in great depth," the jury said in its citation.

Montreal-born Cohen is known for his songs, including Suzanne and Hallelujah, which have been covered by dozens of influential artists.

His books include poetry collections Let us Compare Mythologies and Flowers for Hitler, and novels The Favourite Game and Beautiful Losers. Earlier this year he issued a compilation book Poems and Stories.

Now 76, Cohen won the Glenn Gould Prize earlier this year, a Canadian award for achievement in the arts. He also is an Officer and Companion of the Order of Canada.

The Asturias prize, with a 50,000-euro ($69,600 Cdn) cash award and a statue designed by Joan MirĂ³, will be presented to Cohen in Spain in the fall.

The Asturias awards are given annually "to reward the scientific, technical, cultural, social and humanistic work performed at an international level by individuals, institutions or groups of individuals or institutions."

trending like crazy on twitter today

LucaM
2011-06-02 00:16

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
I never read his poetry except for song lyrics, but I did read the two novels ( in translation, must admit) and damn, the man is a poet. :D
he writes poetry even in prose.
ARYA
2011-06-02 01:45

You are way ahead of me LucaM. I only know his songs and that vid of the tribute tour I think it's called I'm Your Man. Love him.
LucaM
2011-06-02 01:56

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
it's not a competition ;) :)
I had the 'I'm Your Man' CD but at the time didn't have the patience for it and gave it away :)
Giladora
2011-06-02 03:04

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
Reviews: 0
and I only read " Book of longing " and "flowers for Hitler " ,I guess I'm always reading these books ... and his novel ,"Beautiful Losers ", which I'm still have trouble to figure some parts out , because its in English :-S

and I'm literally "HONORED" to see him BREATHING not more than 20 meter away from me .

ARYA
2011-06-02 04:41

@LucaM, the dvd of that tribute is so awesome. There are youtube vids of some of the performances. Look at them if you get an opportunity.

Giladora
2011-06-02 05:25

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
Reviews: 0
@LucaM : yeah I agree with ARYA , Give "I'm your Man" another chance :)

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.