WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: Bloggy Blog

Bloggy Blog
Sephonae
2011-11-14 01:34

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
Reviews: 0
Friends, I hope to be published in the hopefully not too distant future (I write creepy love stories!), and some advice given to aspiring authors is to build some sort of platform (as in, establish a presence somewhere where you can show you're being followed). To that end, I've begun a blog under my pseudonym, Mina Lobo. Mostly I'll blog just about quirky life stuff, sometimes about my writing and attempts to get an agent, etc. I invite you to check it out here: http://minalobo.blogspot.com/, and "follow"/"tweet" it, if you find it appealing enough to share.

If this doesn't appeal to you, no hard feelings - I hope folks will follow along but only if they are genuinely interested. And if you've any suggestions for additional pages/thoughts about what you see there, I welcome them all.

ALSO, I'd love to befriend y'all on Facebook (is there already a thread here about folks' Facebook info?). I'm "Mina Lobo" there.

Thanks, everbody! :-)

gulbie
2011-11-14 01:55

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
I share your blog at tweeter and facebook... :)
inkhuldra
2011-11-14 04:45

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
I shared your blog on Twitter, and +'d you on Google.

Here's a suggestion, if you want to reach potential agents: Share some examples of your work. Write a short-story specifically for the blog, or add excerpts from your stories.

You may also add an e-mail addie where people (including prospective agents!) can contact you. Maybe you already did, but I couldn't find one. :-)

It pleases me immensely, I must say, that you're a fellow Jasper Fforde fan. :-) :-)

Sephonae
2011-11-14 10:56

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
Thanks so much, gulbie and inkhuldra!

Inkhuldra, thanks for the suggestions as well. I actually was thinking of maybe writing some stuff specifically for the blog - I hear tell of agents/publishers shying away from content that was already made available to the public online, so feel a bit leery of putting up excerpts of works I want to *sell*. But it definitely does seem a smart idea to put out some appetizers for my guests, so to speak. :-) And adding an e-mail address is a good tip too, thanks!

I was *super lucky* to meet Mr. Fforde last January (2010) when he did a book-signing at the (now defunct) Barnes and Noble near where I work in Manhattan. He was promoting "Shades of Grey" and I asked him to sign my brand new copy of it. I also praised/gushed at him for creating in Thursday Next the kind of role-model I'd be proud to share with any daughters I may yet have (which ain't looking too likely to happen, but still...). He seemed surprised but, I think, pleased. Very, very nice man. I've got the most recent Thursday Next sitting on my To Be Read stack, and can't wait for more in the Shades of Grey series!

inkhuldra
2011-11-14 14:39

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
@Sephonae: It makes sense that publishers don't want to touch content that's already available online, but what about some excerpts that don't give away the plot? Like the synopsis/teaser text on the back of the book jacket, you know.

You're so lucky to have met Jasper Fforde! I agree that Thursday Next is a great role-model for girls. There are so few of them!

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.