WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: Fave Christmas Songs and Traditions

Fave Christmas Songs and Traditions
KeKe lover2011-12-02 11:45

Forum Posts: 28
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
This is a rather international group, so I was wondering what are some favorite Christmas songs and/or tradtions of my WINM friends?

My favorite songs are 'The Christmas Song' by Nat King Cole, 'Santa Baby' by Ertha Kitt and 'Santa Claus is Back in Town' by Elvis Presley.

My favorite traditions are visiting nursing homes and/or elderly shut-ins and taking them home-baked goodies or hand made ornaments and donating gifts to underprivileged children. Also, having chinese take-out and watching "The Christmas Story" on Christmas Eve.

A couple of Christmas cantatas and time with friends, family and my pets are what brings me joy; it's "the reason for the season" not the commercialization that is important. I could care less about receiving gifts, but I do love to give them!

KeKe lover2011-12-02 11:50

Wait, the only gift I would truly love to have is to share a bottle of wine and some conversation with KR!! :)
ShadowSpark
2011-12-03 01:27

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33
Well, seeing as I'm Jewish, I don't have any /Christmas/ traditions. Hanukkah, Passover, Yom Kippur, and Rosh Hashanah are the only traditional holidays that my family celebrates. The traditions for those are interesting and complex. You can check most of them out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_holiday
Sephonae
2011-12-03 10:02

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
Well, my family is from a po dunk village in Portugal, so every holiday pretty much involves eating (more than) our fill and, erm...drinking. :-)

A Christmas song I adore and that makes me all weepy and whatnot I would never have known if my dad and I hadn't gone to Portugal for Christmas one year. I just love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCON07r908g

LucaM
2011-12-03 16:51

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Honestly, for me the Christmas holidays mean the perfect occasion to curl up in an armchair with a book and a cup (or several) of mulled wine ;)
And/or watching movies 'till 6 a.m :)

The only Christmas tradition I keep is decorating the house with lights, candles, etc. But no Christmas tree. Learned it the hard way that Christmas tree+cat = fail ;) :D

And I cook a bit more than usual :)
Love the cinnamon smell :D

KeKe lover2011-12-04 13:07

ShadowSpark, thanks for the link; it was very interesting and informative-I I enjoyed reading it very much :)

I love reading the responses!

ARYA
2011-12-05 01:18

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11

http://www.freelang.net/expressions/christmas.php

http://www.freelang.net/expressions/christmas.php
ShadowSpark
2011-12-05 04:37

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33

ShadowSpark, thanks for the link; it was very interesting and informative-I I enjoyed reading it very much :)

*sigh* It's just 'Spark', remember? Drop the 'Shadow'.

KeKe lover2011-12-05 07:41

*sigh* It's just 'Spark', remember? Drop the 'Shadow'.

My apologies...

gulbie
2011-12-06 06:18

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
in the tradition of my place the christmas celebration time lasts for 28 nights from the immaculate mary day (12/8)to the epiphany night (1/6). 28 days are a cycle of the moon and in the middle of this time there's christmas eve. the first day (12/8) we decorate the tree and prepare the presepe ( the rappresentation of Bethlehem with statuettes and paper houses), after we have some parties during this month, we go to our friends houses and we spend the evening and part of the night to play cards, bingo and have funny times. at 12/24 we have a simple dinner based of fish ( especially Norwegian stockfish and domestic swordfish) and we go to church at midnight. in the tradition the gift are given by Baby Jesus and not by Santa Claus, because Saint Nicolas gives gift to children( pastries or cupcakes) at 12/6. at 25th we have a huge-big-enormous lunch and we play cards and bingo or other table-games ( such as trivial pursuit.)this is the tradition, and we keep it in some way. in my family we do the tree the sunday around the 8th ( so I have already decorated my tree) the presepe is very little ( 7 statuette and 0 paperhouses: mary, joseph, babyjesus, the three kings and from this year the angel), we don't go to curch at midnight because there's too many people but at late morning, and we like to see some movies like the chocolate factory and the disney's The Sword in the Stone on TV in the afternoon. I don't have a favourite song, but I often sing softly " tu scendi dalle stelle ". :)
ARYA
2011-12-06 06:41

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Lyrics to The Cherry Tree

When Joseph was an old man, an old man was he
He married Virgin Mary, the Queen of Galilee

And one day as they went walking, all in the garden green
There were berries and cherries as thick as may be seen
There were berries and cherries as thick as may be seen

Then Mary said to Joseph, so meek and so mild
"Joseph, gather me some cherries for I am with child"
"Joseph, gather me some cherries for I am with child"

The Joseph flew in anger, in anger flew he
"Let the father of the baby gather cherries for thee
Let the father of the baby gather cherries for thee"

Then up spoke baby Jesus, from out Mary's womb
"Bow down ye tallest tree that my mother might have some
Bow down ye tallest tree that my mother might have some"

So bent down the tallest tree to touch Mary's hand
Said she, "Oh look now Joseph, I have cherries at command"
Said she, "Oh look now Joseph, I have cherries at command"

When Joseph was an old man, an old man was he

AdriannaM.
2011-12-07 10:44

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
My favorite things are:

Getting my little girls' picture taken with Santa (early on a weekday at the VERY beginning of December) and writing holiday cards till my hand hurts :)

Watching her open presents.

Attending my friends' drunken holiday parties.

Feasting on seven different fish dishes.

KeKe lover2011-12-07 11:32

Well, there will be a good bit more alcohol involved for me this year; recently learned that I will be taking a flight out on Christmas morning for a meeting the following day (WTF?!?!?!) and will not return home until after the first of the year (4 cities in 8 days). So I will be drinking in the airport or hotel bar for Christmas and spending NYE in a bar with strangers (not my style) or in my room alone. It may sound silly to some, but the thing that I am most upset about is that I will be away from my elderly dogs; one has really gone downhill lately and I am fearful that this will be his last Christmas. They are my faithful companions and I love them more than most people.

Other than due to his work schedule, I have often wondered why KR does not have a dog. They are faithful companions, provide unconditional love, and keep all of your secrets. And they don't complain if you skip shaving for a couple of days! :)

So how about some suggestions for alcoholic beverages to keep me company? I am usually a red wine drinker with tequila thrown in here and there...but I will try anything once! Thanks

Sephonae
2011-12-07 11:54

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
^Le major suck, KeKe. Maybe a good friend with Skype capabilities can help you celebrate the turn of the year with your doggie-woggie electronically? :-(

Spiked eggnog's a seasonal comfort that might help you get through it all. I too am a red wine drinker, even as I type! (Well, ok, not exactly as I type, cuz that would make for a hot mess, but you dig whatahmsayin'.) Lately I've discovered a taste for things minty and have been trying the mojitos wherever I go. Yum!

BlueGem
2011-12-07 12:30

Forum Posts: 184
Comments: 11
Gulbie, thanks for sharing your traditions with us. Some folks in the US also celebrate St. Nicolas Day on December 6 here as well, so Happy St. Nicolas Day to you! Since we are a nation of many immigrants, lots of people here retain the traditions and customs of the "old" country. Where I live, in Wisconsin, many people's ancestors came from England and Ireland, as well as Norway, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Holland, Belgium, Poland, Slovenia, and other European countries during the 1800s and early 1900s.

Now we also have many more recent immigrants from Asia, Central America, and other parts of the world. It's really fun to learn which traditions are common to different cultures but are maybe celebrated slightly differently. Every year our city has a "Holiday Folk Fair" in which we celebrate the holiday customs of many cultures through music, dance, art and crafts, and of course, FOOD! Every summer, our city hosts weekend-long cultural festivals celebrating Polish, Mexican, Irish, Native American, Italian, German, Greek, Arab, and African traditions.

My favorite holiday traditions are eggnog, holiday light displays, Handel's Messiah and other traditional, sacred Christmas music, watching "A Muppet Christmas Carol" and the original Disney "101 Dalmations" animated features, and secretly hoping for a light but beautiful snowfall on Christmas Eve.

Oh, and what you call the "presepe" - we call that a nativity or nativity scene.

gulbie
2011-12-07 19:58

thanks BlueGem for wishing me an Happy Saint Nicolas, I spend my day in my usual busy way :)

I live in a island with a ancient history of immigration, almost 4 millennium, before we start to emigrate to other countries in the last 150 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Sicily
our traditions are discent form all the people lived here through the centuries, so I can say which part of the our tradition is from a people or from another coutry. because they are put all togheter without interruption. maybe the particular of the 28 day of celebration is taken from the ancient roman celendar or from the isis religion, who knows.

I search on google "Holiday Folk Fair" in your town :) it's seems funnist and very interesting. there's a rappresentation of almost every contry of the planet. whoa!

p.s. I try to post soon some pics of my nativy scene

Edit: click the link : https://twitter.com/#!/GulbieC/status/144394342226857985/photo/1
https://twitter.com/#!/GulbieC/status/143779583945211905/photo/1

KeKe lover2011-12-07 23:58

Gulbie, yes, thank your for sharing your traditions! Sorry I didn't say anything sooner; I truly am embarrassed at my lack of manners. Some of your traditions I have never heard of; it is very interesting to learn of other cultures around this beautiful world that we live in. Your tree is absolutely gorgeous :)

Again, thank you all for sharing. It is such a treat to read these posts <3

gulbie
2011-12-08 20:47

I like learning of other cultures and habits around the world too :)

St Augustine said:"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page". St. Augustine didn't know internet...

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.