1 [2]

Recommendation on Japanese Literature
robin
2012-03-17 06:27

Forum Posts: 59
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0

you`re just such a brave woman

I'm not sure about this but I hope I am. Thanks! :)

Chiara
2012-03-24 04:16

Forum Posts: 215
Comments: 1
Okay, robin, I`ve just started reading the last book you recommended.That`s Kitchen -Banana Yoshimoto.
Other books that I managed to find and read were The dancing Girl of Izu, The Snow Country and Beauty and Sadness by Kawabata. The last one you didn`t recommend but since it was availabale I decided to give it a try and I didn`t regret.

Then I read The Hell Screen by Akutagawa, The Setting Sun by Dazai and Kokoro by Soseki.
I couldn`t find anything recommended from Tanizaki.The Key is his only available novel at the moment and I`ll probably read it sometime.

I`d like to thank you again for introducing those novels to me and I`d like to let you know that I very much enjoyed reading them all.All of them carried a trace of sadness and loneliness and what amazed me the most is the way how Japanese humbly accept whatever their lives had to offer to them and how lightly at the same time they refuse to keep on living when their lives started failing to match what they thought it`s a decent living.Can you imagine how much I was surprised when I found out that three of mentioned novelists comitted suicide?

LucaM
2012-04-22 01:17

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Yesterday I finished reading Murakami's 1Q84.
My head's still spinning and I'm avoiding to look at the moon ;)

one question: did anyone notice that Tengo's apartment has the number 303?

Chiara
2012-04-25 03:35

I'm avoiding to look at the moon ;)

Lol!Don`t ,it really looks great lately with Venus just next to it!

did anyone notice that Tengo's apartment has the number 303?

I didn`t.It`s been probably a year since I read it,so I forgot.Anyway, what is the point?

LucaM
2012-04-25 04:02

Anyway, what is the point?

... just me being a Matrix nerd.
and this http://matrix.wikia.com/wiki/Room_303

most likely it's just a coincidence, though. or maybe the subconscious at work, because I doubt Murakami would reference the Matrix intentionally. not exactly his cup of Cutty Sark ;)

Chiara
2012-04-25 05:25

Ohhhh,well..I`m sure that number had a special meaning for Murakami,but what it was...who knows?we can just guess.
robin
2012-04-27 05:17

@Chiara,

Soo sorry I didn't recognize your post sooner! I tend to just glance at the top of the forum page, and that's why I keep overlooking new posts. I must make it a custom to look further down into each form.

Anyway I'm glad that you enjoyed all the books you've read.

what amazed me the most is the way how Japanese humbly accept whatever their lives had to offer to them and how lightly at the same time they refuse to keep on living when their lives started failing to match what they thought it`s a decent living.Can you imagine how much I was surprised when I found out that three of mentioned novelists comitted suicide?

Right. It amazes me too. The mind of the people must have changed drastically over the years, and even back then it could have been something unique to the intelectuals. You know, Mishima is another writer who comitted suicied!
I understand the fun of taking a peek at some exotic culture by reading books of their literature. I once lived in an Islamic country for a coulpe of years and there I enjoyed reading books written by it's native writers (the country used to be an English colony and so fortunately there were many books written in English). There are times you would be puzzeled by the characters reactions for you don't understand their mentality and its cultural background. But once you find them out they become quite fascinating, no? I guess it's also true when you are reading the books from the old times.

If there's anything more I could help, just feel free to ask :) But I'm afraid by now you might have read more Japanese books than myself^-^; I hope there are still something I could do!

And oh look who's here-
@Hi LucaM!
It's nice to see someone beside the two of us, isn't it Chiara ;)

But I'm sorry I haven't read 1Q84 and I have no clue what that number implies... From what you quoted for the Matrix thread the book seems to be interesting and deep- as usual- of course otherwise it wouldn't sell so many copies all over the world. But my husband who has been quite a big fan of Murakami for some time said he gave up on this one half way through because it was too coplex? for him or I don't know I guess it just wasn't his taste :/
I should read more myself, ohhh I know.

LucaM
2012-04-27 05:42

robin -there is a time for everything; you will read more when the right time comes :) I have no children, so more time to spend reading ;)

Indeed, 1Q84 is more complex than Murakami's previous books- or at least it seems so to me. But I sort of 'saw it coming', especially after 'Kafka on the Shore'. One has to be patient with 1Q84; it's like one of those movies that start getting interesting only by the end of the second act ;) The most fascinating thing about the story is seeing how the clues start falling in together, gradually.
On the other hand, it's pretty different from the 'early Murakami' writing style, so it might not appeal to someone who appreciated more the writer's early works.

Anyway. I was just typing out loud :)

robin
2012-04-28 07:13

Right time...for me I guess now is the time for movies, Give me 2 hours and I would be watchinng DVD, 3 hours I would be out in the theater, so :D

I liked 'Kafka on the Shore', and now that you gave me the tip, when the time comes I might be able to enjoy reading '1Q84'.

Chiara
2012-04-29 06:23

If there's anything more I could help, just feel free to ask :) But I'm afraid by now you might have read more Japanese books than myself^-^; I hope there are still something I could do!

Awww, robin, thanks, you`re so kind.
When you say theater, do think of movies or plays, cause when I go out to see a movie I`m going to the cinema,but if I want to see a play I go to the theatre.

robin
2012-04-29 06:51

Oh I have just said `theater' again in another thread, no I mean forum. Sorry I get mixed up with words- so I guess I should say cinema in this case. My English is getting terrible... especially prepositions... maybe it's not getting terrible it always has been (-_-;)
I haven't seen a play in years by the way!

1 [2]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.