Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Loved so many of his films, and he seemed like a really good human. :(
allhailkingjack
2014-08-13 00:33

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
Reviews: 0
From his Mork & Mindy days (yes, I'm that old), this guy routinely made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe and then astounded me with his dramatic brilliance in Good Will Hunting and the like. One of the saddest things about his death is the sense that he wasn't finished, that he had more to give. RIP.
Sephonae
2014-08-13 11:01

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
What a shock it was to learn of his death last night. My dad, who's in his late 60s, was watching the news in the next room and I suddenly heard him say to himself, "Robin Williams, dead?" I was washing the dishes and had to stop to ask him what the hell he'd just said, I was so stunned.

Poor Robin. I ache for him, that he was in such despair. He's given us all so much of himself, over *decades*. (I remember him from Mork and Mindy very well!) (I had an M&M coloring book!) And my heart goes out to his family, especially his children. What a tremendous loss for us all.

Anakin McFly
2014-08-13 13:21

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
I read somewhere (not sure if accurate) that he had been battling depression for 40-50 years, which is horrible, and it's amazing that he managed to hold out this long and bring so much joy to others even while he was suffering. I struggled with suicidal depression for years (I'm mostly better now) and that was bad enough, but decades...

But I'm moved by the outpouring of love and concern that's marked his death, especially online when there's usually so much negativity. And who knows how many lives have been saved as a result of people realising that there are people in their lives who might need help, or others deciding against suicide when they otherwise would have gone ahead.

allhailkingjack
2014-08-13 19:02

The 40-50 year thing is not surprising if he was refusing to take meds. Those drugs can turn you into a zombie and sap all your creativity, humor, etc. I'm not judging anyone who takes them; everyone has to decide for him- or herself what works best. I'm just saying I can understand why people in the arts who make their living off of being funny, dramatic, creative, etc. would choose to suffer unmedicated and remain in touch with their gifts.
Bliss
2014-08-13 23:21

Forum Posts: 146
Comments: 7
Robin had such a brilliant personality and quick whit. He will be missed by many, it just doesn't seem real to me yet. My heart goes to this friends and family, I bet he was a wonderful person to know.
Anakin McFly
2014-08-14 09:39

ADMIN

I didn't know about the meds. It has different effects on different people though; I was on Prozac for a bit for depression and it was horrible - I was extremely hyper and jittery and then had really major mood crashes and panic attacks when the effect wore off - so my psych took me off it, and I think it ended up contributing to the even-worse anxiety disorder I developed shortly after. :/
allhailkingjack
2014-08-14 11:06

I should clarify that I of course have no idea whether he was declining meds; that's just spec. Anyway, you're right. Brain chemistry is really complicated. Sometimes even the smartest docs can't crack the code - or if they do, sometimes the cure is more dangerous than the disease. Not to pry, but I hope you eventually found something that works for you.
Anakin McFly
2014-08-14 11:16

ADMIN

Ah, ok. Robin Williams had checked himself into rehab though, so it seemed like he was trying to get help - at least for his drug problems - but it didn't work out.

Yeah, I'm ok now. :) Came out to family and stuff, which went much better than I'd ever have imagined, and that pretty much ended the depression. And I've been seeing a really great counsellor for the past couple of years, which helps a lot.

allhailkingjack
2014-08-15 07:03

I'm very glad to hear that. :)
Sephonae
2014-08-18 00:31

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
@Anakin - I'm really glad you're doing better. Really glad. :-)

@allhailkingjack - Whether a person with depression does or doesn't take medication for it, s/he may battle it for life - drugs don't necessarily wipe depression out, they're just one tool among several for treating it, and are often used in conjunction with other therapies (talk therapy, for example) for maximum efficacy. Also, there are drugs for depression which don't cause the infamous numbing shutdown AND even though a drug may cause that in one person, another person may have a different experience with it. Finally, sometimes it's exactly the taming of the wide vacillations of emotion and racing mind that allows for a person to focus on the use of her/his gifts. As you noted, brain chemistry varies from person to person, and I think that many variables contribute to a nuanced factor of the human condition, which can't be easily summed up.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://www.minalobo.com
https://www.facebook.com/GothMomLite
https://twitter.com/GothMomLite
http://gothmomlite.tumblr.com/

Anakin McFly
2014-08-18 09:41

ADMIN

I read somewhere that scientists still don't know what exactly anti-depressant medications do, just that they occasionally help cure depression. But there are all the different meds with different effects that's really hard to match to a person, because brains differ widely in how they react.

Like I was once on a different medication (for acne) that apparently had increased anxiety and panic attacks as a potential side effect, but for me it had the opposite effect of completely curing my anxiety issues. I didn't have a single panic attack when I was on that medication, vs having several a day before that. Brains are weird.

MmeRenard
2014-08-19 07:46

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Anakin, that opposite (amusing called "paradoxical" in medical lingo) effect is shockingly common in many medications. I've worked off and on for 20+ years as a care provider, and drug reference books are truly frightening. MANY antidepressants and related drugs can CAUSE the very effects they're supposed to treat. Brains are weird, true, but medications are much weirder, and effects vary enormously.

I've also known many people with bipolar disorder, and as much as they need medication, the side effects seem truly awful. There are no easy answers to any of this and anyone who suggests that there are is just plain ignorant.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.