WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: Wanted: Time Travelling Tips

Wanted: Time Travelling Tips
Spirit
2014-09-22 12:44

Forum Posts: 155
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
I'm doing a paper for English entitled Time Travel in Literature and Film and was wondering if there are any time travel fanatics on here with any helpful tips, or if anyone just wanted to discuss time travel in general, as I am now in the mood to do so.

Note this is open to time travel from anything. . . and yes, I do have a section on Bill & Ted included in my paper.

Anakin McFly
2014-09-22 12:46

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
That is the best topic ever. I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll send you a university paper I did on time travel movies for a physics class. I got an A+. :D
Spirit
2014-09-22 12:51

Thanks Ani! :D Looking forward to reading it.
allhailkingjack
2014-09-22 18:49

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
Can I put in a request for that too, Ani? I never could sort out the paradoxes, but that's not to say they're unsortable.
Joke
2014-09-23 00:39

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for.

A fun Japanese time traveling movie is Samâ taimu mashin burûsu (2005) aka Summer Time Machine Blues.

Spirit
2014-09-23 02:26

@Joke - Pretty much just anything involving time travel. Not even so much for the paper as for my own curiosity. I've never heard of that, but I'll have to look it up.
Joke
2014-09-23 04:53

There must be hundreds of movies and books involving time travel.

Which ones have you already seen/read?

Do you want time travel stories where they keep switching times or are time travel stories where there's one moment of time travel and they (more or less) stay in the period they traveled to OK as well?

Spirit
2014-09-24 11:13

It's sad how short the list is, but I do hope to improve on it. Back to the Future, The Time Machine, Partners In Time, Doctor Who (some of it), Looper, Bill&Teds, and Men In Black 3.

And popular, personal favorites, classics, one trip, ten trips. . . sorry to be extremely vague, but really I'm open to pretty much anything.

Anakin McFly
2014-09-24 13:05

ADMIN

WAIT, Partners in Time as in the book series?
Joke
2014-09-24 15:56

Let's see which other movies I can, with a little help from Imdb, dig up from memory that have (some) time travel in one way or another:

* Los cronocrímenes (2007)
* Primer (2004)
* Blackadder Back & Forth (1999)
* The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)
* Mr. Peabody & Sherman (2014)
* The Butterfly Effect (2004)
* Lola rennt (1998)
* Donnie Darko (2001)
* Source Code (2011)
* Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)
* Twelve Monkeys (1995) and the short film it's based upon La jetée (1962)
* The Austin Powers movies
* The Terminator movies
* Timecop (1994)
* Time Bandits (1981)
* Timeline (2003)
* Les visiteurs (1993) / Just Visiting (2001)
* Black Knight (2001)
* Kruistocht in spijkerbroek (2006)
* Ritânâ (2002)
* Frequency (2000)
* Midnight in Paris (2011)

The TV series Sliders, Quantum Leap and Catweazle.

3 or 4 episodes of the television series Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman feature H.G. Wells and his time machine.

And some episodes of Star Trek of course.

Spirit
2014-09-24 18:25

@Ani, Kristen Sheley? Indeed. (and thanks for the paper, it's awesome, and I was going to email, but I'm still trying to think of a response for most of it - 1am probably wasn't the best time to read it either....)

@Joke, I can't believe I forgot the time travel in Austin Powers! Dahh *facepalms* *checks off of now forming list* Thanks for the list. So much opportunity :D

neaura
2014-09-24 19:04

Forum Posts: 247
Comments: 8
Joke has pretty much covered everything I know and don't know :D
There is the Guy Pearce snooze button Time Machine,The Philadelphia Experiment, Time After Time, Looper.
Ground Hog Day, Deja vu (sort of, not in the classical sense). Well even Thor and Loki travel through time n space :D
X Files has some episodes that involve time travel
There are few episodes in the TV series Supernatural that involve time travel too.
All the best for your paper Spirit_Haze
Spirit
2014-09-24 20:09

I love Supernatural!!! Unfortunately though, I haven't seen as much of it as I'd like, and I don't have Netflix or anything, so I just gotta wait til I can buy at WalMart or somewhere. Gotta love Groundhog Day too, and Looper.
allhailkingjack
2014-09-24 21:18

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
Memento, also a Guy Pearce movie and not a snoozer, but rather a fairly dark suspense/noir film. Bonus points because it stars Carrie-Anne Moss of Matrix fame.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Frequency - this one tugs at ye olde heartstrings, IMO.

Star Trek movies - Generations and First Contact. I think the one with the whales, too.

You might find the German film Lola Runndt (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) under its English title, Run Lola Run.

neaura
2014-09-24 21:38

Forum Posts: 247
Comments: 8
Ooo, Memento is an awesome film! It was the first Guy Pearce movie I saw and it drove me see others, including Time Machine :-(.
Great attempt by Nolan, but I guess the time travel part is more from the point of view of the audience rather than the characters, the nonlinear narration was great. :D
Anakin McFly
2014-09-25 09:12

ADMIN

@Ani, Kristen Sheley? Indeed.

:D
How did you discover her books? Through her BTTF fic, or elsewhere? I designed her website. :)
http://www.kristensheley.com

Spirit
2014-09-25 09:53

Yupp, BttF fics. (how did you?) :D I think my first was Tremors in Time, and last the interdimensional fic with MJ-Holmes. (I didn't really read I order.) That's awesome! :) How does web design even work anyways? I am yet to even make a working PowerPoint. Good work, by the way.
Anakin McFly
2014-09-25 11:05

ADMIN

Yeah, I found her through her BTTF fics as well, more than 10 years ago now. :) I loved her fics and those by Mary Jean Holmes, though I don't think I ever finished reading all of them. Good times, though. They made the BTTF universe so much bigger and richer than the movies did. Then I was friends with Kristen on LiveJournal (now on Facebook), and a few years ago another friend and I collaborated with her on doing a script adaptation of the first Partners in Time book, after Paramount first picked up and then passed on the project. We found another producer and did five drafts of the script over a couple years, but then that eventually fell through as well, which was a huge disappointment.

Web design... Well, there are a lot of good HTML tutorials out there you can start with. :) I first started learning web design when I was about 14, but I think it's a lot easier now with then huge advances internet technology has made since then.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.