The lflipout PM debate
Anakin McFly
2008-11-24 09:48:10

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
posting it here

Because if I post it on IMDb it'll get deleted; if I post it on CK it'll get deleted, so I'm sticking it here; if you spot anything that you can comment on to clear up or correct, go ahead.

lflipout:
I'll send this to you because I don't know if you have already left...

It would kind of contradict it, except Keanu read the script and went for the part and gave the script to River and seemed to be perfectly happy with the film. As I said before, Keanu was in no way a virgin when it came to working with gay directors or doing gay material. I mean, he went on stage night after night in his tighty whities in Toronto and let a guy suck his blood, in front of a gay audience and he didn't seem to have a problem with it, in fact he spoke of it later on as if it was funny to him. Ron Nyswaner was a gay director that he worked with in POP. I mean he worked in Hollywood, it wasn't as if he was a virginal boy from the Midwest. I'm thinking he all of a sudden got nervous about gay gossip so his people told him to straighten up.

Anakin_McFly: Everything there is fact as far as I know, except:

I'm thinking he all of a sudden got nervous about gay gossip so his people told him to straighten up.

Keanu apparently really didn't care about it, because he thought that to publicly announce he wasn't gay would imply that he thought there was something wrong about being gay to the point that he felt he needed to separate himself from it. He was annoyed that his people kept bugging him to address the issue, and so finally he gave the public statement to Out Magazine. But he initially didn't want to bother, because he said he found it funny and if people didn't want to hire him if they thought he was gay, then so be it; they were the ones being homophobic.

This was only in 1995-ish though, after he kept getting phonecalls from friends congratulating him on his supposed marriage to Geffen while he was off playing Hamlet in Canada. Apparently he thought it was hilarious.

lflipout: Anakin, the interview we were talking about was a much earlier interview than the interviews he did in 1995. Originally he didn't handle the gay question very well. He was more prepared in 1995. Did you read the OUT interview?

If Keanu is so secretive that even his friends don't know if he would or would not marry David, you can be pretty sure he's gay. Well, I'm sure he is gay, you of course, may think what you please.

Anakin_McFly:

we were talking about was a much earlier interview than the interviews he did in 1995.

You mean the one where River mentioned how millions of Keanu's fans would be watching him one day?

Originally he didn't handle the gay question very well. He was more prepared in 1995. Did you read the OUT interview?

Yeah, I read that. I read everything, including the tabloid reports that covered the alleged wedding, Keanu's initial amusement, the later denials, the report from the gay journalist who was kind of frustrated about how his fellow gay men seemed to feel a need to make every celeb gay to fulfill their fantasies, and that though everyone was talking about the alleged wedding, no one he knew had actually been there, and all that.

If Keanu is so secretive that even his friends don't know if he would or would not marry David, you can be pretty sure he's gay.

I don't see how being secretive means one is gay. It just means one is secretive, or just not comfortable with being open about their sexuality. This happens to straight people too.

To this date, I have close friends (online and off) each with different opinions of my sexuality. There are those out there on the Internet who would state with equal conviction that I'm a straight guy or a lesbian. Doesn't make me gay.

lflipout: Anakin, your close friends in real life, should know as much about your sexuality as you do...that's what friends and family are for.

Anakin, I've gone into great detail as to why it is very obvious that Keanu and David did indeed know each other and the fact that David made the choice to lie about their connections, makes me believe that they had an affair. Did I think they married? Of course not. The fact that two well known and respected gossip columnist actually spoke about their involvement is even more proof that they were together and that virtually EVERYONE knew it. These gossips would never have risk their reputations by printing something that they didn't have good reason to feel sure about. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that they would have at the very least, met, so for them to say they had never even met...that's crazy.

Anakin_McFly:

in real life, should know as much about your sexuality as you do...

i.e., nothing much. I have no idea what I am, and neither do they.

Anakin, I've gone into great detail as to why it is very obvious that Keanu and David did indeed know each other

I've seen the support you've presented for that and - even looking at it from a completely unbiased point of view - honestly I'm not convinced. Having friends in common doesn't mean that they necessarily would have met. I think Keanu shares at least five friends and many other co-stars with my other favourite actor Michael J. Fox, and still I seriously doubt they have met. I fairly sure I would have known about it otherwise. Even in my own life, I occasionally come across complete strangers I have never met before who turn out to have ten or so friends in common with me. This sort of thing happens, and very frequently.

And I think one of them you mentioned was the relative of Keanu's stepfather's work colleague or something like that, which is actually kind of far fetched. I don't know the family of my parent's work colleagues, and I don't think it would be unrealistic to think that Keanu might not either, especially given his reputation as a loner who doesn't get out much or mix with the Hollywood crowd.

the fact that David made the choice to lie about their connections, makes me believe that they had an affair.

That's assuming that he lied, which is a pretty big assumption.

The fact that two well known and respected gossip columnist actually spoke about their involvement is even more proof that they were together and that virtually EVERYONE knew it. These gossips would never have risk their reputations by printing something that they didn't have good reason to feel sure about.

Those kind of things are self-perpetuating; one marginally-respected gossip columnist posts something they think is true, another more-respected one sees it and decides that if the other lot posted it, it has to be true, and so it continues. That's how rumours spread and gain energy. And, well, respectable or not, they're still gossip columns. Gossip isn't generally known to be equivalent to fact. It thrives on scandalous and controversial news.

There is an overwhelming amount of evidence that they would have at the very least, met, so for them to say they had never even met...that's crazy.

But there's the definition of 'met'. Keanu or David might not consider having been at, say, the same party to be 'met' if they only saw each other in passing, or just exchanged "hi"s, and would have probably thought it more convenient and less question-inducing if they had denied any meeting whatsoever. That way they'd avoid having to give any unnecessary complicated details ("We said hi, talked about the weather..."), if the only important point they wanted to get across was that they had not been married.

Because Keanu has been definitely known to use 'met' in the sense of people he has only known for a substantial period of time; after reading through just about every interview since 1987, I've seen this happen. There was an article that mentioned Johnny Depp being at some same event as Keanu, and then a different article where Keanu said he'd never met Depp. Unless you're insinuating that he had an affair with him as well and feels the need to cover it up, it looks like his definition of 'met' doesn't extend to casual acquaintances he might have just bumped into. And I think this is probably the case with David.

Going off to bed now; it's 1am.

lflipout: Anakin, I guess if you had read the books I've read, you might understand where I am coming from. David Geffen and Sandy Gallin were best friends...they talked every day and sometimes several times a day. Both are gay men. Both are extremely powerful men in Hollywood. Sandy Gallin owns a company with Dolly Parton and was her manager and Michael Jackson's manager. Paul Aaron made an award winning TV film with Sandy Gallin. I have reason to believe they are longtime friends. David Geffen convinced his longtime friend Ted Field to get into show businessand he ended up producing Bill and Ted. Another one of Gallen's good friends also produced one of Keanu's films. Geffen managed Guns & Roses and Josh worked for Guns & Roses. These are very close connections, especially when you realize Geffen was always a very hands on manager. David was the first person Yoko Ono called after John Lennon was shot. Geffen Produced two films in the early '90s and I am very sure Keanu auditioned for both of those films. When you realize that Keanu is indeed Geffen's type...you would know that he would INSIST on meeting Keanu (although I believe he has known Keanu since Keanu was a teen). Van Sant and River both knew Geffen, why wouldn't Keanu? Do you REALLY think Keanu would have resisted meeting one of the most important men in Hollywood? Think about it. You also have Keanu's Mom's connection to Gallin. She very obviously knew Gallin and more than likely knew Geffen through Gallin. How you can wipe all the connections away as if they are of no importance? Sorry but that's just being naive, about Hollywood. People go into show business and survive because they actually want to be successful...they do what they have to do, they might blow a famous producer but believe me, they would NOT blow one off.

Anakin_McFly: So basically for the connections:

1. David Geffen = best friend of Sandy Gallin = made a film with Paul Aaron = Keanu's stepfather => 3 degrees of separation

^ I don't think this one counts. I'm also separated from Steven Spielberg by 3 degrees; one of my good friends (known her for several years; she's the one whose novel I'm helping adapt into a film) is a longtime close friend of Steven Clarke, who is the official Back to the Future fansite's webmaster, has close ties with the trilogy's cast and crew (including Spielberg, director Robert Zemeckis, and others) and has been acknowledged by them on the site. Yet Spielberg definitely does not know that I exist. I think.

2. David Geffen = good friend of Ted Field = worked with (?) Keanu (do executive producers actually have that much involvement with the cast? I thought they just handled administrative stuff. According to the credits, there were 7 producers on the first Bill & Ted; what are the chances of just one guy standing out? And this was in 1987; Keanu was 23; was David Geffen some sort of paedophile? How old is he? Also, is Ted Field constantly on the lookout for young men that his friend David might be interested in?)
=> 2 degrees of separation

3. David Geffen -> unnamed friend -> produced another Keanu film
=> 2 degrees of separation, but as above; this is Hollwood. Connections like that can probably be found between any two people in the industry; doesn't mean they know them. If so, they would need to know a heck lot of people.

Geffen managed Guns & Roses and Josh worked for Guns & Roses. These are very close connections, especially when you realize Geffen was always a very hands on manager.

Who's Josh?

Geffen Produced two films in the early '90s and I am very sure Keanu auditioned for both of those films.

What films are they, and why are you very sure that he auditioned for them?

When you realize that Keanu is indeed Geffen's type...you would know that he would INSIST on meeting Keanu

How do you know what Geffen's type is? If you do, why Keanu in particular - what about all the other men out there who are also his type? Does he insist on meeting every single one of them? And if he insists, do they always comply with his insistence, especially bearing in mind that Keanu was kind of a rebel in his earlier days and hated being told what to do?

Van Sant and River both knew Geffen, why wouldn't Keanu?

This is speculation; you can't know it for sure. Keanu did not hang out with many of the Hollywood crowd, especially at that age.

Do you REALLY think Keanu would have resisted meeting one of the most important men in Hollywood?

Maybe he didn't care. Maybe there were other more important men in Hollywood whom he was more interested in meeting; maybe he wasn't interested in Geffen's work. We can't know either way. All this so far is built on mere speculation.

You also have Keanu's Mom's connection to Gallin. She very obviously knew Gallin and more than likely knew Geffen through Gallin.

Why very obviously? Is it a fact? If yes, then:

4. David Geffen -> Sandy Gallin -> Patricia Taylor -> Keanu
= 3 degrees of separation. This is basically Keanu knowing the friend of his mother's work colleague. I think it's kind of far fetched, as stated before. I definitely don't know any of my parent's friend's friend's, especially when one of those connections is built on a business relationship.

And people separated by 3 degrees tend not to know each other. Heck, I'm separated from Keanu by 3 degrees (I know Chicks; she knows Erwin; he knows Keanu). Sadly I seriously doubt he knows I exist. Admittedly the comparison isn't that good, because I'm not in the Hollywood industry, but still - 3 degrees rarely means familarity with the person on the other end.

People go into show business and survive because they actually want to be successful...they do what they have to do, they might blow a famous producer but believe me, they would NOT blow one off.

Again, there are always exceptions to the rule. Keanu wasn't exactly a typical young actor. He wasn't interested in becoming famous; that was the least of his worries. More than once he seemed to be disturbed by the idea of fame (by implication of things he said, not explicitly outright, so I doubt it was a cover). He just wanted to act, first and foremost, because it was something he greatly loved, and to play as wide a range of roles as possible.

Maybe you might not believe it, but to me, people who are after fame and success wouldn't turn down 11 million paychecks for Speed 2, or run off to play Hamlet for minimum Actor's Guild salary at the first peak of their fame when whole lots of big scripts are coming their way. Keanu has not exactly pursued the traditional Hollywood actor's path. He kept persistently taking on roles that other actors would have considered career suicide and stayed far away from.

Although you might find something interesting -> never in a single interview has Keanu said "I'm straight." He's always, when asked about his sexual orientation, said "I'm not gay."

Taking into account Keanu's reputation for honesty and high reluctance to lie, make of that what you will.

lflipout: I don't think Keanu was the one who first wanted to lie about it

I think Geffen did. I believe Geffen got so upset about people actually knowing of their connection and that connection possibly keeping Keanu from being the big star that he absolutly had the potential to be...Geffen went off half-cocked and decided to say they had never even met each other.

Anakin, you seem to not realize how many parties there are in LA. Private parties. Keanu loves misic as I'm sure you know and he was always in the clubs. Geffens people were in the clubs looking for new acts. Geffen knew every thing about show business and the music business, he knew everyone and everyone knew him, at least they knew his reputation. Perhaps you don't realize Keanu's sexual appeal? Keanu would in no way passed under Geffen's radar. Keanu has always had some of the best agents in Hollywood. Keanu has had power for a long time...even before he was a household name. As far as I know Geffen, Aaron and Gallin have known each other for years. They were all very interested in making money on Broadway, I'm saying they were family friends. I mean you can see it in the fact that Dolly Parton hired Patricia. Isn't it really obvious?

I know what Geffen's type is because I've read books about him and his friends. Keanu would have auditioned for M Butterfly and for Interview With a Vampire. And yes, Geffen very diffently is a hands on producer. He even had a his own trailer on the set of Interview...which he did end up abandoning but never the less, he is always there for casting descions. Even Stoff was on set with Keanu. Producers actually do know what's going on, on the set.

Josh is Keanu's good friend, Josh Richman. When you think that KEanu went out of his way to meet Kurt and Courtney...do you think when Geffen Records had parties for them, Keanu wasn't invited?

Geffen and his rich powerful friends are not the type to set back and just let things be...if they want to meet someone you should be damn sure that they WILL meet them. And if Geffen hadn't met Keanu when he was younger...you need to realize that Geffen would have been sending him invitations and Keanu would have been accepting.

Anakin_McFly: But so far everything you say is still speculation. Some are things that might be possible, or things that probably are possible, but still speculation; there's no solid fact involved as of yet, and some of your speculations build off other speculations until they appear to support each other when in fact there's still no hard foundation.

Anakin, you seem to not realize how many parties there are in LA. Private parties. Keanu loves misic as I'm sure you know and he was always in the clubs.

I don't know if you still believe Keanu might have AS; if that's the case, Aspies in general do not enjoy parties. When articles from tabloids or fan sighting accounts have mentioned Keanu at parties, they tended to focus on how he stayed to himself among a few close friends and didn't mingle with the crowd.

From a 1991 interview long before the Geffen thing came up, Keanu said, "I don't go to many parties. I don't get invited to much, man. I'm a homebody. In the past year I've just been acting, so I haven't had much of a life." - www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1991_10xx_kea.htm. He's said things like that more than once, and friends of his have reinforced this - Keanu is an introvert, doesn't go to a lot of parties, prefers spending time alone on his bike. I don't know what reason anyone would have to lie about this.

So maybe people just realised that he wasn't that interested in parties and decided not to force him to go.

Perhaps you don't realize Keanu's sexual appeal? Keanu would in no way passed under Geffen's radar.

There are lots of straight females and gay males out there who have no interest at all in Keanu. So it's a fairly big assumption to say that Geffen would have definitely been attracted to him; even if he were what you consider his type, among types there are still variants, and sometimes exceptions. Geffen could have had his eye on other men; it's not that improbable that he would have been interested in others who were much more easily attainable, and perhaps attracted to him in return. Keanu couldn't have been the only one he was interested in, and he's definitely not the most attractive guy out there in Hollywood. You might think so, but that doesn't mean other people would, including Geffen.

As far as I know Geffen, Aaron and Gallin have known each other for years. They were all very interested in making money on Broadway, I'm saying they were family friends. I mean you can see it in the fact that Dolly Parton hired Patricia. Isn't it really obvious?

Honestly, no. Dolly Parton isn't David Geffen, even if they may have known each other. Again, it's Hollywood. Connections like that are literally everywhere.

My friends and I play a lot of six-degrees of separation games involving actors, and just about any one of them can be connected very easily via movies they co-starred in - if we started including movie crew and agents and whatnot, possibly anyone could be connected in just two or three degrees and might truly not have even met each other. A single movie has hundreds of cast and crew, sometimes thousands; it's very likely - almost assuredly so - that not everyone working on a film has 'met' everyone else.

A lot of people have work or other connections to a lot of other people in Hollywood, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are all acquaintances. Just one agent can have so many stars under him; doesn't mean they all know each other, or have even met. There are just too many of them. There's a limit to the number of friends a person can have, especially if they are a loner like Keanu supposedly is.

I'm almost completely certain that if you pick another random and relatively famous celebrity whom Keanu has never met and try as hard to link him or her to Keanu, you would be able to come up with just about as many connections as you did to Geffen. People get around a lot; Hollywood is built on networking and who you know, such that even people who do not actively attempt to know other people automatically have all these connections form around them due to their work.

I know what Geffen's type is because I've read books about him and his friends.

I don't think that's enough. Books can lie and twist things, as you've so often pointed out. And much of it is surface, trying to present a certain image or personality. I doubt you'd be able to get information as intimate as the kind of people one is attracted to just by reading a book about them. If you take a group of people that say, Geffen is known to be attracted to and find similarities, those similarities you find might be a coincidence and the real thing that connects them be another trait altogether.

Keanu would have auditioned for M Butterfly and for Interview With a Vampire.

I don't know when filming took place, but placing it a year before release I think the time period is wrong. M Butterfly came out in 1993, Interview in 1994. I'm fairly certain he did not audition for the latter, if it filmed in 1993. Keanu was off in Bhutan for most of early 1993 working on Little Buddha; when he came back, he had the part for Speed, spent the following few weeks at the gym and wouldn't have been going for other auditions since he already had a job.

Prior to that, he had been working on Much Ado About Nothing; while filming that he already started preparing for Little Buddha, reading up on Buddhism and everything. Basically for the 1992-1994 period, Keanu did not have a stretch of unemployment that would have led him to auditions. He was working throughout and had no shortage of jobs. So I would say that Keanu was at neither audition; it would have been strange if he had, because he's known for being highly and maniacally committed to whatever script he's agreed to do. He's been praised for not going off looking for better offers after saying yes to a film, so for him to be auditioning for other roles while he already had films lined up would seem kind of strange.

When you think that KEanu went out of his way to meet Kurt and Courtney...do you think when Geffen Records had parties for them, Keanu wasn't invited?

Geffen and his rich powerful friends are not the type to set back and just let things be...if they want to meet someone you should be damn sure that they WILL meet them. And if Geffen hadn't met Keanu when he was younger...you need to realize that Geffen would have been sending him invitations and Keanu would have been accepting.

Again, both of these are based on the assumption that Geffen was interested in Keanu, and not just mildly interested but obsessively so. I think that's kind of a large jump to make, and a bit unfair to Geffen as well - he's 21 years older than Keanu, and claiming that he's been interested in him since Keanu first started out in Hollywood in his early 20s - when Geffen was in his 40s - is kind of paedophilic. If he truly liked Keanu, I'm sure he would have also considered the possibility that Keanu - regardless of sexual orientation - might not be interested in some 40+ year old guy, and respectfully stayed away. Allow Geffen some dignity. You're almost making him out to be some paedophile with a violent obsession in getting hold of young Keanu to satisfy his sexual needs, which is kind of disturbing.

lflipout: Anakin, the first time I read about Keanu and Geffen was in the January issue of Movieline Magazine(1992)...then Geffen and Keanu were mentioned as being together in 1994 and 1995. The connections I've mentioned are very compelling. Do you really think it was simply coincidence that there was so much gossip about Keanu and Geffen? It really is all out there for anyone to see if they want to look. But I can understand that you are young and haven't yet learned that there really are, no coincidences.

How do you think Keanu's Mom got her job with Dolly Parton? Why do you think Alice Cooper decided to stay at Keanu's Grandmother's house? As far as I know Alice Cooper worked for Asylum Records and in the 70's, I believe Geffen owen Asylum Records. I believe that Paul Aaron is the key to Keanu's success.

Anakin_McFly:

then Geffen and Keanu were mentioned as being together in 1994 and 1995.

The alleged marriage took place in January 1995; they both denied it then, so I doubt they would have been mentioned as being together in 1995. Would have been kind of stupid - regardless of whether or not anything actually happened between them - for them to be hanging out together right after the denial. So it's just left with 1994, then, not exactly a very substantial period...

And I thought that the rumours were due to Geffen having an assistant that looked like Keanu or something?

Do you really think it was simply coincidence that there was so much gossip about Keanu and Geffen?

For all you know it was just based off the same assumptions you had. And gossip is gossip - it doesn't need any solid foundation to spread. It just needs to be controversial and scandalous, and it'll be everywhere. Gossip in general is usually unfounded, or else it would be news.

How do you think Keanu's Mom got her job with Dolly Parton? Why do you think Alice Cooper decided to stay at Keanu's Grandmother's house? As far as I know Alice Cooper worked for Asylum Records and in the 70's, I believe Geffen owen Asylum Records. I believe that Paul Aaron is the key to Keanu's success.

I'm not familiar with any of those people, so I can't say anything about them. The names are kind of meaningless to me apart from how they were related to Keanu. I thought Alice Cooper was there because Keanu's mother was working with him or something. Meanwhile the Asylum Records connection is kind of flimsy. Paul Aaron may have been the key to Keanu's success, but he could have done it without getting David Geffen and Keanu to meet as long as he had the connections.

And if it were just him being the key to Keanu's success, then why did Keanu have to keep going to so many auditions in his early years, and not getting every role he wanted? There can't have been much string-pulling going on there.

lflipout: As I said, I first read about it in January of 1992 then it came up in 1994. In 1995, a well respected gossip said Geffen and Katzenberg went to see Keanu in Winnipeg when he was playing in Hamlet. She was the gossip columnist for USA Today...it is not a tabloid. Poor Jeannie just thought she was reporting on a normal story...she obviously thought Keanu was out. George Christy, another well known gossip for the Hollywood Reporter...this is a magazine read by everyone in Hollywood, because it is pretty much a business magazine, reported on the marriage part. I admit, I never ever believed they were married...my point is, the story was so believeable to a well known and well informed, know it all, gossip...he BELIEVED IT. You don't have to agree with me but I've found, where there is THAT much smoke, there is a fire. One thing I know, two well known gossips who have built their careers in the entertainment field and worked for years, would never ever have reported that story unless they had good reason to believe it was true and good reason to think David and Keanu would have been fine with the story. David was not fine with the story. I actually think they both got the story from either Gallin or Barry Diller. Diller is another very big deal, here in America, who is also a gay man but he married Diane Von Furstenberg, they have always been best friends and he has no children. I understand that you don't know any of these people and they mean nothing to you but they are people that I've read a lot about. They are billionaires and friends of Geffen's.

Anakin_McFly: Yeah I've seen those.

In 1995, a well respected gossip said Geffen and Katzenberg went to see Keanu in Winnipeg when he was playing in Hamlet. She was the gossip columnist for USA Today.

This one -> www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1995_0124_ham.htm?

"But Reeves, 30, is packing the house through Feb. 4. His mom, and pals David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg are said to plan visits. But Reeves' managers won't let the theater give tickets to U.S. media."

It doesn't say anything about them knowing each other; Jeannie Williams might have just assumed that they were friends. Because this has happened before with other celebs, where they were labelled as Keanu's "friends" but he would in interviews talk about how he hadn't met them, or would like to meet them. He can't have had gay affairs with every one of those people. Maybe people just assume connections, especially if, as you suggest, Geffen knew Keanu's mom.

More importantly, nothing in there about Geffen being his boyfriend or anything; she mentions Jeffrey Katzenberg in the same sentence. I don't even know who that is.

George Christy, another well known gossip for the Hollywood Reporter...this is a magazine read by everyone in Hollywood, because it is pretty much a business magazine, reported on the marriage part.

Don't have that one, though. Gah. I thought I had almost everything. I have an alternate marriage report from elsewhere.

Anyway, since you appear to know more about this - is it true that Keanu supposedly moved into the Geffen mansion when his home was destroyed by an earthquake? That article that reported on the marriage mentioned that, which I thought was strange, and I brought it up on CK but people went completely off topic and got my thread deleted.

Posted it on my own forums and had a much more substantiative and on-topic discussion, and the general conclusion was that no one could know for sure, or that Geffen and Keanu did know each other, but only as acquaintances - and decided that it would be far simpler and more effective in ending groundless gossip to just say they had never met - or some people were just pretending to know all about Keanu and his relationships for their own benefit and glory.

Oh! okay, here -> and an article from Details Magazine was posted that covered the entire Geffen-Reeves saga from its beginnings in the media; it mentioned how it started in Europe, where their gossip columnists are far more lenient, often not bothering with substantiative evidence before they report something as true, and then quoted George Christy whom you mentioned:

George Christy (Columnist for THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) "In Europe they reported the rumor as fact. I decided to mention it in the column, and I feel pretty stupid for doing it, because I'm not interested in rumors. Financial, sex, and health gossip is always below the belt. I write a positive column."

So that covers your point about George Christy believing it enough to write about: he read an European account, assumed that their report was factual, and so he repeated it.

Meanwhile, what do you make of the report that Keanu was supposedly swimming naked with Sharon Stone in a hotel swimming pool? Because that one too got reported by a number of fairly respectable sources (The Mirror, Woman's Day, Voici), several claiming that she was his new girlfriend, and turned out - according to Keanu, anyway - to have been completely fabricated, though he said he wished that had happened. If he were indeed a closeted gay, why would he deny this? It would kind of defeat the purpose and work against him. And he's denied some other alleged girlfriends as well.

Basically there are a lot of things that have been completely made up by the media, sometimes intentionally and sometimes just due to misinterpretations. At least that's what I learnt from doing the articles archive and reading everything in it along the way.

There were several articles that took Keanu's answers completely out of context and gave them whole new meanings, sometimes changing the questions, which were kind of disturbing actually since I had the original transcripts for some of those interviews and could do the comparison. Context means a lot. Sometimes they would cut out the negative-word like "not" and make a statement mean the complete opposite of what Keanu said - those were the worst.

But their out-of-placeness only became clear when placed against the big picture. And the big picture doesn't logically accomodate Keanu being gay; if that were true, everything else would get thrown out of whack. It just doesn't compute, when everything is taken into account. Which is my main issue here. I'm definitely not homophobic; my problem with your gay claim is that it just doesn't fit at all in the grand picture of Keanu built up by 21 years' worth of interviews and articles, not all of them written by people who like him.

lflipout: Anakin, do you really believe that two people like Geffen and Katzenberg would really fly up to Winnipeg in the middle of winter...to some small theater to see Keanu's Hamlet if they weren't at leat friends? Don't involve yourself with crazy thinking...Winnipeg is the end of the world. Good grief, I wouldn't even have gone to Winnipeg in winter, even if someone paid for my ticket and airfair...and I was a huge fan.

Geffen obviously reamed Christy a new hole for reporting the story so George had to backtrack. I believe he said it was the WORST day of his life. Geffen is suppose to have a vicious temper and he always gets even. The point is, Christy is an old man, not a boy right out of school, he obviously had reason to believe that Keanu and Geffen had gotten married. Why? Because as the rumors have it...Geffen and Keanu were seen all over LA together.

Anakin_McFly: Okay, so maybe Geffen was attracted to him, at least to a sufficient extent to want to see his play. If so many other fans flew even greater distances to attend the play, I don't see why Geffen wouldn't. (Who is Katzenberg?) There were fans who came from Japan and Australia - one of those Japanese fans didn't even have a ticket when she arrived, and stood outside the theatre in the snow for days trying to get someone to sell her a ticket (someone eventually did).

Geffen obviously reamed Christy a new hole for reporting the story so George had to backtrack.

Why obviously? Your 'obviously' would only hold true if there had been truth to the story. If not, then Christy's explanation is perfectly valid.

The point is, Christy is an old man, not a boy right out of school, he obviously had reason to believe that Keanu and Geffen had gotten married. Why? Because as the rumors have it...Geffen and Keanu were seen all over LA together.

He said that it was because he had read it from an European source that he considered legit, which - given his age, meaning he probably came from a time with a more stringent media - is completely understandable.

lflipout: Anakin, I don't know how thing are in your country but over here, legitamate gossips do NOT out people. It just isn't done. Christy would never have written that in his column if he was not feeling pretty sure that Keanu WAS indeed out. When Christy said it was the worst day of his life, it was because of Geffen. EVERYONE knows Geffen's reputation. I'm telling you, NO one wants to get on his bad side.

Katzenberg, Spielberg and Geffen started Dreamworks together. At one time, Geffen owned Gefffen Records and he sold it for a billion. Then, he was over the music division of Dreamworks but I think he still kept his fingers in Geffen Records.

Katzenberg worked as a CEO at Disney, for years...he even helped Keanu get a starring role in Young Again, a Disney TV movie.

----------------

So that's the debate so far... What's your take on her last post?
LuxuriantN
2008-11-24 10:05:39

Forum Posts: 142
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
Anakin - I haven't got much to add except to say you have rebutted every point. You will notice with Flip that she ignores points she simply can't argue with.

In the UK, legitimate gossips (if there is such a thing) DO out people. In our tabloid papers, one female celebrity found out she was the lovechild of another dead male celebrity. Our newspapers tell famous people that their partners are cheating on them in screaming headlines on the front page. Our gossips/tabloids have even printed stories about Prince Charles being gay and mentioned gay orgies in the palace.

Yet I have never seen anything about Keanu's sexuality. The reports on Trinny make it clear that K is considered to be a straight, enigmatic actor that a lot of women want. There wasn't even a sniff of innuendo about his sexual orientation in any of the coverage, was there?

If there was anything to these rumours, somebody would have outed him. It's that simple.
keanugirl762008-11-25 15:42:43

Forum Posts: 268
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Yes, tabloids definitely DO OUT people.

LucaM
2008-11-26 04:56:27

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
*shrugs*

Ani... you're talking to a deaf wall there.
let her believe... whatever she wants to believe...

and personally... I couldn't care less if K were gay or straight or bisexual or asexual or all four combined. I just wait for TDTESS to be released ...

Anakin McFly
2008-11-26 10:09:34

ADMIN

or all four combined
...That makes more sense than it should.
LucaM
2008-11-26 19:05:36

ouch !
Anakin McFly
2008-11-26 21:43:53

ADMIN

Maybe his characters possess him... unsure.gif

*looks at Scott*
LucaM
2008-11-27 00:37:50

*Scott looks back defiantly *

why , oh why couldn't those guys save another character instead ?
no good deed goes unpunished...
*sighs *

Anakin McFly
2008-11-27 17:35:48

ADMIN

*Scott looks back defiantly *
...and in a sudden motion lunged forward and grabbed not-Tim in a kiss.

!!! said surprised!not-Tim, before angry people yanked Scott away, yelling at him as they dragged him off to beat him up on the other side of the room.

Not-Tim just sat there shaking, wondering what just hit him.

Finally he slowly turned his head to look at the commotion.

Beneath the flurry of fists and kicking legs, Scott's eyes were still fixed on him; and upon catching his gaze, a small smile slowly curved his lips.

Not-Tim quickly turned his head back.

LucaM
2008-11-27 19:38:27

whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa... !

that's more like Mike, not Scott...

apparently Scott was into 'it' just to upset his father... but then, one never knows

not-Tim can inspire strange passions.

the IMDB boards are quite some proof for that
Anakin McFly
2008-11-27 22:53:19

ADMIN

apparently Scott was into 'it' just to upset his father... but then, one never knows
Yeah... Keanu claims that Scott is straight. (Zark him. That kills off about a third of all the jokes in my fic.) But that wouldn't stop Scott. He just... does things, regardless of sexual orientation. unsure.gif

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.