WINM Forums :: Everything Else KCR :: Watching The Watcher...

Watching The Watcher...
Anakin McFly
2008-10-21 00:10:54

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
lulz. It is amusing.

It's taking forever to load though. I'm two-thirds through; about half an hour left to go, but it's just past midnight and I've got class at 8am tomorrow so I'll probably go to bed after I upload today's lot of articles. I would do one article, then watch whatever got loaded, then when that bit ended I'd do another article, and so on... saved time.

And the audio sucks. My laptop volume is at maximum and I still can't make out half of what they are saying, so I'm watching the film with the transcript open in another window. My own private subtitles. Yes.
Personality_Disorder2008-10-21 00:20:03

Forum Posts: 52
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Let us know what you think. I think it's my personal least favorite movie and character that Keanu has portrayed, but even so, I still think the Razzie was uncalled for given that there are so many problems with that movie and everything else that he is hardly the 'bad' in it.
Anakin McFly
2008-10-21 01:02:09

ADMIN

Finished it today after all; 5.7/10.

I actually like Keanu's performance in this. David Allen Griffin is fascinatingly amusing from a writer's POV at least, and I still stand by the opinion (formed before watching the film, only reinforced after) that he + Jack Traven in the same room would = massive lulz.

He got a Razzie nomination for this?

Meanwhile I also kinda like James Spader, so...

Least favourite spot when it comes to Keanu films still belongs to Dracula by a mile.

CRAP IT'S 1 AM IN THE MORNING WHY AM I STILL AWAKE THERE IS CLASS IN 7 HOURS ARRRGGGGH
LuxuriantN
2008-10-21 04:25:58

Forum Posts: 142
Comments: 1
I must agree - this is my least favourite Keanu movie.

I am also a huge fan of James Spader so the whole thing was a disappointment for me. Not the actors' fault at all - I just didnt care enough about any of the characters to care who lived or died at the end.

Horrid plot I think.
Anakin McFly
2008-10-21 10:30:34

ADMIN

Eh. Not among the best Keanu films, but I liked it enough to watch it to the end. And I got vaguely depressed when David died.

Where's Dharke with her indisputable statements of the ruling of Griffin?

*misses Dharke*
Sephonae
2008-10-21 11:17:11

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
It's been a while since I watched Watcher, but I remember feeling this vague sense of discomfort when I did. And, thinking of this made me remember how incredibly distressing I found his violence in Street Kings (that phonebook scene, for the luva pete!). And I just realized my problem; I can't bear to see him --- more accurately, one of his characters --- engaging in immoral violence. Some could argue that the violence in SK was justifiable 'cause he was roughing up the baddies, but that doesn't sit well with me. And I guess that the violence in the Matrix films doesn't bother me 'cause, given the choice, Neo would not have fought. But he didn't have a choice; it was do or die which, as far as my admittedly limited understanding of ethics goes, works for me.

I didn't understand why, when he was in the car w/Spader at the end, he was all like, "We're gonna be OK, aren't we?" or whatever the exact line was...What was meant by that? What constitued "OK" in that sick freak's mind?
keanugirl762008-10-21 14:35:33

Forum Posts: 268
But I have to say that I find him more scary in The Gift, even though, in that movie, what he does is less serious than in The Watcher. I mean, in The Gift he's violent but in The Watcher he is a serial killer. Yet I'm more afraid of Donnie than Griffin.

I don't know why, but I've always had this feeling.
Anakin McFly
2008-10-21 16:21:18

ADMIN

And I just realized my problem; I can't bear to see him --- more accurately, one of his characters --- engaging in immoral violence.
I don't mind, actually; in fact, the more a character diverges from real!Keanu (whatever that may be), the more fascinated I am with the performance. It's the whole transformation aspect I find really intriguing.

And I... kind of like sick freaks. (Unless they're after me, whereupon it ceases to be fun.) It's very interesting to get into their heads and explore the sick freak part of myself.
LucaM
2008-10-22 03:14:07

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

I don't mind, actually; in fact, the more a character diverges from real!Keanu (whatever that may be), the more fascinated I am with the performance. It's the whole transformation aspect I find really intriguing. 
yeah, that

but the script of "The Watcher" could have been better.

it doesn't explore enough the twisted relationship between the cop and the serial killer.

and the ending was waaay too clicheistic.

anyway, it's a movie no-one seems to be proud of... so let's just leave it as it is.

Sephonae
2008-10-22 11:11:36

(keanugirl76 @ Oct 21 2008, 02:35 AM)
But I have to say that I find him more scary in The Gift, even though, in that movie, what he does is less serious than in The Watcher. I mean, in The Gift he's violent but in The Watcher he is a serial killer. Yet I'm more afraid of Donnie than Griffin.

I don't know why, but I've always had this feeling.

I'm with you; Donnie scared me more too, and I think it's because he was such a weird mix of a guy. With the Watcher, you knew you had a sick bastard on your hands and that was that. Donnie could care, he could feel remorse, so if a guy's capable of these more benevolent and acceptable emotions, wherefore springs the rage? The unpredictability of Donnie's violence is what troubles me.

Mind you, so would inadvertently crossing the path of a more predictable serial killer type guy.
Personality_Disorder2008-10-22 11:53:22

Forum Posts: 52

(Sephonae @ Oct 22 2008, 11:11 AM)

I'm with you; Donnie scared me more too,

I think Donnie may have been scarier cause the movie and the character were more believable/realistic/better.
keanugirl762008-10-22 14:48:20

The unpredictability of Donnie's violence is what troubles me.
Yes, and in my case, maybe it's also the way they relate to the others.

Donnie's expression is always someway acid and unpleasant, even when he doesn't mean to be harmful, while Griffin's approaches - though with the aim of killing - are soft.

Let's say that I'd keep myself away from a guy like Donnie anyway, while I would fall like an idiot into Griffin's harms
Sephonae
2008-10-22 21:34:19

(Personality_Disorder @ Oct 21 2008, 11:53 PM)

(Sephonae @ Oct 22 2008, 11:11 AM)

I'm with you; Donnie scared me more too,

I think Donnie may have been scarier cause the movie and the character were more believable/realistic/better.

Ha! You make a fair point.
Sephonae
2008-10-22 21:37:38

(keanugirl76 @ Oct 22 2008, 02:48 AM)
Donnie's expression is always someway acid and unpleasant, even when he doesn't mean to be harmful,  while Griffin's approaches - though with the aim of killing - are soft.

Let's say that I'd keep myself away from a guy like Donnie anyway, while  I would fall like an idiot into Griffin's harms 

That scene where he's dancing with that chick in the street, just before he kills her! :::shudders:::

It's true; the obviously scary guys, like Donnie, wear their menace like a cloak and shield. It's the smiling faces ya gotta watch out for.
Anakin McFly
2008-10-22 21:39:40

ADMIN

Let's say that I'd keep myself away from a guy like Donnie anyway, while I would fall like an idiot into Griffin's harms 
...Into his charms, into his harms, into his arms.
keanugirl762008-10-23 14:24:44

...Into his charms, into his harms, into his arms.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.