WINM Forums :: Everything Else KCR :: heehee...

heehee...
Anakin McFly
2008-10-09 14:52:26

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
"But there are those who would question the intelligence of an actor who would turn down Speed II."

- July 30, 1996.

On Keanu's decision to turn down Speed 2: "Everybody I talk to, including my manager, they're like, you're committing suicide with your career."

whereupon my friend said:

...WHAT
LOL !?!?!
keanu has a brain!
I don't like him for his looks. Or even his acting. I like him for his brain. *rofl emoticon*"

LeishaCamden2008-10-09 18:26:12

Forum Posts: 35
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0

there are those who would question the intelligence of an actor who would turn down Speed II.
Yes ... we call them 'idiots'.

Only Hollywood people could think it'd be a dead cert that that movie would be a hit.
EverythingIsMagic
2008-10-09 22:47:37

Forum Posts: 328

(Leisha Camden @ Oct 9 2008, 06:26 PM)

Only Hollywood people could think it'd be a dead cert that that movie would be a hit.

There was a lady that appeared in Speed 2 (eh, I just did a quick check at IMDB and I don't see her photo, so can't tell who she was?) who said that by Keanu turning down Speed 2, he and I quote "peed in his chili bowl." Now first, I thought that saying was kind of crude and disgusting and two, look who TURNED out to be right!
Anakin McFly
2008-10-10 10:35:20

ADMIN

MORE MORE MORE

On the decision to pull out of Speed 2:

"Hollywood is asking if Keanu has a secret death wish: for his career, for his image and for himself. - Garth Pearce

"He dropped out of 'SPEED 2' to tour with his rock band. What the heck was he thinking? ... Reeves is guilty of dropping out of Speed 2, the sequel to the 1994 Die Hard-ona-bus winner that raised his price per picture to $7 million. And for what has he let Jason Patric take his place next to Sandra Bullock aboard a franchise as potentially profitable as the one Bruce Willis milks whenever his career goes dry? To tour Europe playing bass guitar with his band, Dogstar, a folk-rock trio that even Reeves admits has been booed. And how does Reeves follow up Chain Reaction, the high-priced action trhiller that opened in August - and quickly crashed? With September's Feeling Minnesota, a low-budget mess that casts him as a nomad named Jjaks (a birth-certificate typo that stuck). Can this actor be saved?" - Peter Travers
keanugirl762008-10-10 14:14:16

Forum Posts: 268
He did the right thing. I remember he explained why he had turned it down: because he didn't like the ship issue.

And when I saw it, I didn't like it either.
EverythingIsMagic
2008-10-11 23:21:13

Actually, Fox to save face said Keanu wanted to play with his rock band and not because he thought the script stunk!

And thinking back, how many actors HAVE turned down a sequel to a successful film? Not many that I can think of. Usually,they milk it for all it's worth. Like all the Rocky movies and Die Hard etc.... That must have confused some people in Hollywood.

I saw Speed 2 as well and Keanu made the right choice. I think his quote was, how fast can a cruise ship go?
Anakin McFly
2008-10-11 23:47:47

ADMIN

"I'll be honest - I disagreed," Stoff admits. "I thought, How can you turn this down? People said he was flaky, he wasn't living up to his responsibility, he didn't want to go to the gym, he wanted to go out on the road with his band - it was all bullshit. He read a script, and thought it was a crappy script. He said, 'The movie's called Speed - how fast does a cruise liner move, anyway?"'

"I remember asking Keanu, 'Are you going to do Speed 2?' " says Robert Mark Kamen. "And he said, 'You mean Speedier? It's not, and I'm not.' "

"I just felt that if I went into that picture, I just ... wouldn't have come up out of the water," Reeves laughs.

How prescient he was: That's just what happened to the picture.

- "Why Keanu Reeves Won't Sell His Soul" by James Kaplan, September 1997, Premiere (US)

Sephonae
2008-10-12 03:37:29

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
Curiously, Jason Patric's career rather tanked after Speed II, while Sandra Bullock's didn't. Any thoughts on why things played out that way?
EverythingIsMagic
2008-10-13 07:41:41

(Sephonae @ Oct 12 2008, 03:37 AM)
Curiously, Jason Patric's career rather tanked after Speed II, while Sandra Bullock's didn't.  Any thoughts on why things played out that way?

That's a good question. I haven't kept up with Jason Patric's career, but he always seemed "super serious" to me.

I saw videos of Sandra Bullock when she was a cheerleader in High School (on YouTube) and I think she was always destined to be a star. She was such a ham, even then!
Anakin McFly
2008-10-13 11:36:37

ADMIN

Keanu apparently likes Jason Patric, and thought that he would do a good job in Speed 2.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.