WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Films I shall make concerted efforts to watch

Films I shall make concerted efforts to watch
Anakin McFly
2008-09-27 15:56:39

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
over the course of the next couple weeks

Some on the DVD I got from a CKer, others are apparently available online

1. Johnny Mnemonic
2. Point Break
3. A Walk in the Clouds
4. Sweet November
5. ok fine, Speed.

and eventually, since they are apparently on Youtube

6. Little Buddha
7. Much Ado About Nothing
8. Parenthood

Am attempting to be a Keanu completist.
Personality_Disorder2008-09-28 05:01:13

Forum Posts: 52
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0

(Anakin McFly @ Sep 27 2008, 03:56 PM)

5. ok fine, Speed.

LOL. Damn, you are stubborn! Speed is better than the other 4.

JM is a terrible movie, although I guess Keanu fans should at least see how terrible. SN is pretty bad and nonsensical too. AWITC is better as a romantic movie.

PB is one of those movies that are fun to watch, and even more fun to discuss ("remember that scene when...") but Keanu is so-so in it.
EverythingIsMagic
2008-09-28 05:26:59

Forum Posts: 328
Well, have fun Anakin! I think it would be fun to go "back" to seeing some of his movies for the first time.

I really love Speed-have seen it a bunch of times! It's just a fun action movie!
Anakin McFly
2008-09-28 10:30:47

ADMIN

I heard that JM is actually better than people make it out to be if you like that kind of movie, and I like that kind of movie, so...

Meanwhile I would like to see just how bad SN is that it got a Razzie nomination; and the fish quoted on the WINM front page declared AWitC one of the few performances of The Anu that he thought were actually good, so I thought that was worth checking out too.
Personality_Disorder2008-09-28 11:55:10

Forum Posts: 52

(Anakin McFly @ Sep 28 2008, 10:30 AM)
I heard that JM is actually better than people make it out to be if you like that kind of movie, and I like that kind of movie, so...

Meanwhile I would like to see just how bad SN is that it got a Razzie nomination; and the fish quoted on the WINM front page declared AWitC one of the few performances of The Anu that he thought were actually good, so I thought that was worth checking out too.

AWITC is worth checking out because I think he gives a good performance in it, is VERY likeable and sweet in it, and, as far as romances go, it's a good movie.

SN is lame and deserves a Raspberry for the script, and as much as I usually love Charlize Theron, she sucked in it. Keanu was better than her, because he had some interesting moments in the movie, and did a good job of "changing" that his character goes through over the course of the movie.

I like JM type movies, but JM is just bad. Really really bad. And Keanu is pretty bad in it too. Just my opinion of course, I will be interested in what you end up thinking about it.
Sephonae
2008-09-28 12:10:52

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
I enjoyed Johnny Mnemonic, thought it was fun. Though I do prefer Speed to your top 4, Anakin. AWITC is very romantic, and if you're a fan of noble men, then you might want to make that number 1. My problem with Sweet November was that I just really couldn't relate to Theron's character. Plus, the ending is heartbreaking, if you're a sentimental idiot like me.

Have you seen I Love You To Death? His role in it is small but really, it's a great film, one of my favorites.
Anakin McFly
2008-09-28 13:27:14

ADMIN

Eh... the list isn't in any order. I just wrote them out randomly. I might watch them in any order

Yep, I've seen I Love You to Death. I love it to death.
keanugirl762008-09-28 15:18:27

Forum Posts: 268
IMO, JM conveys a strong message against pharma companies. I admit that, artistically, it isn't one of my favs, but it should be watched at least for this reason.

Keanu has starred in many movies of this genre, disguised as sci-fi but with strong messages such as this one (i.e. The Matrix, ASD, TDESS). And also The Devil's Advocate is a 'moral' movie.
LucaM
2008-09-28 16:48:39

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
from all I've read (AFTER watching the movie ) JM could have been a much better movie, IF the producers would have left it alone.
apparently Longo and Gibson wanted to make it a black-and-white , movie, Godard's Aplhaville style...
unfortunately, what ended up on the big screen ( and our VCR tapes / DVDs) was something else...

I still like it. It's got that 'Gibsonesque' cyberpunk atmosphere, and visuals ; and elements from both his sci-fi trilogies ( Neuromancer and 'the brigde' ) it's actually a pity there weren't more movies on this subject... but then the Matrix came and everything was re-defined...

As for K's performance... while not his best, IMO it's not his worst, either... if he's struggling with some scenes, I'd say it's because the script went against the initial scenes...or that he's got mixed feelings about it. If anything, one can see in his acting if he 'is' in the scene or not. and in JM... half the time his soul didn't seem to be there... not really...
but all this aside, he managed to embody Johnny M. quite well... and 'his Johnny' was not only the character from Gibson's short story; it has a lot of Case ( Neuromancer) as well...

to quote from a William Gibson interview , dated 1994

"Johnny Mnemonic" has a superstar, Keanu Reeves.  What do you
think of his portrayal of your character ?

Keanu is fantastic! I have this problem: I have never been able to
describe the character of Johnny, until he came aboard.  One day in
the early stages of developement, we were discussing the character,
and I wasn't making a good job of doing that.  But he really
got Johnny from day one. It helped me better understand this
person that I had imagined, so I was able to make small
adjustments to the story. I have always had a good attitude
towards actors, and Keanu helped me reinforce that idea.
Once "Johnny" got its second chance, Robert (Longo) and I have
talked to each others on the phone at least once every day.
Subsequently, I was often on the sets during the filming, doing
rewrites.  The sets of this picture were awesome!  Everything was
hung 50 feet up in the air.  They were quite dangerous:  you really
had to watch where to put your feet.  But I was able to not black out.

( source : Project Gutenberg's William Gibson Interview by Giuseppe Salza
Copyright Giuseppe Salza, 1994. giusal@world-net.sct.fr )

and all that being said, I just LOVE Johnny's rant...

I'm not saying the movie doesn't have its flaws. it's just that I like it , with flaws and all...

eh...
TheWyleyOne
2008-09-29 20:57:57

Forum Posts: 115

It's a matter of taste, as much as opinion. I love it, I loved it before I had ever heard of The Matrix. It is The Matrix as a rough diamond. I'd be interested to see what you think of Just Johnny, Anakin.

Be prepared: it will seem very Atari to someone used to XBox!! But I still love it!

(Keanu highlights: (1) at the start, he's in bed in black shorts, yummo... and (2) towards the end, he makes The Speech).

TWO
EverythingIsMagic
2008-09-30 10:46:15

Forum Posts: 328

I agree with LucaM. I LOVE Johnny's rant too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmKLzmPMso
Sephonae
2008-10-01 23:54:36

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3

(EverythingIsMagic @ Sep 29 2008, 10:46 PM)

I agree with LucaM. I LOVE Johnny's rant too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmKLzmPMso

^Triple ditto!
LucaM
2008-11-03 05:29:21

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
oookaaay... just watched the Japanese extended-cut version of JM.
( ... don't ask. I know a guy who knows a guy )

IF you can get hold of it, watch it. it's got some extra scenes ; others were edited differently. the opening scene - the dialogue between Johnny and the girl in his hotel room -is a little longer ; a few more short scenes from the original script got through editing...
... ok, I know the hotel room scene was NOT in the original screenplay... but hey, won't complain
...in the Japanese version they left the part when J-Bone administers the dolphin its usual does of heroin ( which was cut from the US version) ; but they took out the line with " we got a special room for that "
cultural differences, huh ?

and the Japanese version has a different soundtrack, a little too overdone for my taste. in this respect , I prefer the US version , it fits better my idea of cyberpunk...

oh, and in the Japanese version, Johnny DOES NOT get his childhood memories back.

... all in all, if someone would let me in the kitchen... out of these two versions AND the original screenplay I could mix a pretty good salad... seasoned and all.

eh, water under the bridge...
THAT bridge.

keanugirl762008-11-03 15:30:16

Forum Posts: 268

... all in all, if someone would let me in the kitchen... out of these two versions AND the original screenplay I could mix a pretty good salad... seasoned and all.
You could obtain an excellent Fantasy Pizza as well

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.