WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Youngblood

Youngblood
SonjaRostov2008-09-17 05:28:47

Forum Posts: 31
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Rewatched an Early, Early Role

The other night New York residents got a little treat--the channel that broadcasts the Yankees games ad infinitum (including reruns of ho-hum games of the past) had nothing to broadcast while the team traveled--except sports movies.

So I saw all but the first few minutes of Youngblood, which is a hockey movie starring Rob Lowe and Patrick Swayze. Now, nobody said this was a good movie, nor that Keanu was good in it, because it wasn't and he wasn't. Nor was he bad. He was just there, doing his job. It's not going out on a limb to theorize he got the job because he could already play hockey and looked about the right age.

You know how scenes are often filmed with certain actors in the background, behind the leads? That suggests that the director liked that actor, thought something about him or her would add something to scene after scene, even if the actor's role is quite small in terms of lines.

What I thought was interesting was Keanu is not in the background. You have to work to spot him when he doesn't have a line, and he only has a half-dozen or so. Although he's easily the second prettiest man there (the young Rob Lowe was prettier than I ever was, and girlier, too), the camera never picks him up unnecessarily. In scenes in which the whole team is present, sometimes the camera never finds him at all.

The camera does linger on two other actors on the hockey team, unknown at the time, same as Keanu, except that they stayed unknown.

Isn't that odd? Anyway, if that's on your "Some Day I Should See That" list, you won't be missing anything to skip it.

Sonja, underwhelmed
Personality_Disorder2008-09-17 06:43:28

Forum Posts: 52
Oh, I didn't even take into account that that may be on someone's "Some Day I Should See That" list. Good point, cause I would have yelled "DON'T BOTHER!" in that case.
Yeah Keanu is barely in it. It's not much of a disappointment for me cause the movie is so dumb. It's like a non-role. The fact that he has the goalie mask on in most of the handful of times he's on makes him even more of a non-presence.

I think apparently even he was surprised at how little screentime he has in the finished product.
EverythingIsMagic
2008-09-17 08:06:20

Forum Posts: 328
Was it an edited version? I know they do that sometimes, when they show movies on tv. Just wondering. I seem to recall Keanu walking through a scene in the locker room with a roll of toilet paper on his head. But it's been a while since I've seen that movie. dry.gif

I didn't care for Youngblood overall, but Keanu's accent made me laugh. Just in a it's funny to hear him talk like that kind of way.
Anakin McFly
2008-09-17 10:19:12

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
...And that's supposedly his natural accent, too.
Personality_Disorder2008-09-17 11:35:50

I think he was supposed to be a French Canadian in the movie, but I'm not sure about how spot on the accent is.
LucaM
2008-09-17 14:06:10

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
from what I've read in one of his interviews ( can't remember now which one) , he was in more scenes but apparently most of those ended up on the cutting room floor... this was one of the many lessons about the real side of the movie business

anyway, it was his first 'H-wood' movie... and everyone has to start somewhere

saw the movie, checked it on the list, and moved on. that's about it...

Anakin McFly
2008-09-17 14:16:17

ADMIN

Plus, he only got paid $3000 for it.
Anakin McFly
2008-09-21 23:35:11

ADMIN

From a 1992 article:

Kee doesn't get to say much in the movie, but he's around a lot. He's with the other guys when they take Lowe out and get him drunk before their first practice. He's there during all the games, and he's in all the locker room scenes.

Most of what Keanu does in this movie is play hockey. Unlike Lowe (who had a stuntman for the action shots) and Swayze (who also had a double but did most of his stuff himself), Keanu was expected to do it all. He had to skate with the team, take the falls, and make the saves. Thanks to his years of playing the game, he was ready for the challenge!

The Youngblood Keanu is cute, he's intense, he's endearing... there's even a bit of a budding Ted in the way he howls like a wolf in the bar scene! The filmmakers noticed their goalie's on-camera appeal, and kept giving him more lines to say and more stuff to do. In the drinking scene and the locker room scenes, the camera may follow the action between Lowe and Swayze, but it keeps cuffing over to Keanu's reactions!

Do they lie?

EDIT: Admittedly the whole article is kind of strange. And they for some reason think that Ted's full name is 'Theodore Logan III', wtf.
SonjaRostov2008-09-23 04:25:53

Forum Posts: 31
Not really true, in terms of the camera finding him often. Maybe it's more apparent in the letterboxed version, which I've never seen. What aired on TV both recently and when I first saw it on Cinemax (an HBO competitor) was full-screen, cutting out 25% or so on either side, and panning-and-scanning as needed.

Sonja
Personality_Disorder2008-09-25 01:17:18

Yeah I totally didn't see him pop up unless he absolutely had to. There were other unknown actors that were seen in the background far more than Keanu.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.