WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Street Kings

Street Kings
LuxuriantN
2008-05-08 16:55:53

Forum Posts: 142
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
Hi all

In the spirit of starting/continuing conversations over here that we are no longer able to enjoy 'elsewhere', what did you think of Street Kings?

Careful not to post spoilers for those who havent seen it yet.

I liked the movie a lot although the more I think about it, the more incomplete I feel it was. Tom Ludlow's girlfriend has been mentioned before. I dont have a problem with her age, I just wonder what she was there for. Maybe just to show the brief moment we saw his tender/caring side?

I have also read an alternate ending involving some resolution regarding what happened to his wife. I much prefered the idea...although Tom's final actions are still basically the same.

What do you guys think?
poopygill
2008-05-08 17:59:19

Forum Posts: 49
Comments: 0

(LuxuriantN @ May 8 2008, 09:55 AM)
I just wonder what she was there for.  Maybe just to show the brief moment we saw his tender/caring side?

I agree - i think it gave an insight into the fact that he thought about what he was doing alot, and he did feel bad about what he did, but even though he knew the 'right' way to do it (ie the way she suggested), he felt like he had no choice but to do things his way.

To be honest though, I don't think she meant anywhere near as much to him as he meant to her (kinda understandable in all fairness...lol). I wasn't sure if he actually still loved his wife though...or whether he was just p'd off that he never got to resolve the situation

LuxuriantN
2008-05-08 18:54:54

Interesting point about loving the wife.

I think it comes back to his basic sense of right and wrong. I guess no matter what she had done, she didnt deserve to be treated that way and he thought it was his duty to avenge her?

Maybe a part of him understood why she cheated? I guess we can accept he thought he was a lousy husband/human being?
stellala2008-05-09 10:08:40

Forum Posts: 5
I thought that the gf was unnecessary; they didn't do anything with her! I wish they'd used up the time they spent with her on a few more conversations with Wander, Disco, or Biggs. I actually thought the movie was way too short, and all of those relationships needed to be fleshed out more.

As far as the wife...imo Ludlow wants revenge for her death, but he can't find her killer since the coroner has tampered with the evidence. Ludlow's need for avenging his wife's death goes haywire when Washington is killed, and he is ordered not to hunt down his killers. In a way, the wife parallels Washington--they were both his partners; they both betray Ludlow, the wife by having an affair, Washington by going to Biggs, and Ludlow feels personally responsible for both deaths. Actually, it would be very interesting if the wife was having an affair with someone in Ludlow's unit, since the unit would then be involved in her death, as they were in Washington's death.
poopygill
2008-05-09 13:36:40

(stellala @ May 9 2008, 03:08 AM)
In a way, the wife parallels Washington--they were both his partners; they both betray Ludlow, the wife by having an affair, Washington by going to Biggs, and Ludlow feels personally responsible for both deaths.

Oh wow - totally get what u mean! I didn't notice the parallel before - need to watch it again...last time I was obviously distracted by a certain someone (and his HUGE muscles ) lol!
LuxuriantN
2008-05-09 14:43:45

I am totally feeling you about the forearms. OMG they make me wanna bite lol
poopygill
2008-05-09 18:55:58

Lol! Bite WHAT exactly???? On second thoughts...don't tell me!
EllieP2008-05-13 16:22:29

Forum Posts: 110
Hooray...I FINALY saw SK I def. liked it, but had the feeling there were 3 stroies and they couldn't decide which one to go with I agree that the gf thing was a bit pointless

Luxuriant, you're feeling the forearms? I'm soooo jealous that you're that close!! Still, plenty of the man left to go around
EverythingIsMagic
2008-05-14 12:28:48

Forum Posts: 328
SK was kind of a strange Keanu movie for me. I enjoy it when he breaks out of his good guy/savior roles (like in the Gift), but it's not one of my favorites of his.

When I first saw it I enjoyed it well enough. I think just seeing Keanu up on the big screen was a thrill. And like someone mentioned, those muscles!

The second time I saw the movie I got more out of it (like the cop lingo I understood more and I knew how it ended) and enjoyed it a bit more.

I enjoyed pretty much everyone's performance with maybe the exception of Forrests. He seemed a little over the top to me, but I guess if he was meek and mild, it wouldn't have shown how powerful and ruthless he was. Though sometimes those quiet ones are the ones you have to look out for.

I loved L.A. Confidential (which was written by Ellroy too and deals with cop corruption), but I think like someone else pointed out with Street Kings, the characters weren't fleshed out enough. I would of liked to have known how Grace and Ludlow met. Was it in the ER? In a bar?

I didn't have a problem with the actress who played Grace. (Or her age compared to Keanu's). I didn't think when I saw Grace and Ludlow together Ewwww or anything like that. I just would of liked more back story on how they met.

I think having Hugh Laurie being introduced in the movie in a hospital was an odd choice. I don't watch House, but I know he's on it and plays a doctor. That kind of took me out of the film, though maybe it was just meant as a wink to the audience?

I don't know? It's hard for me to articulate exactly why I wasn't thrilled with the movie, but didn't hate it. I generally don't like violent films with a lot of swearing, but I like seeing Keanu on the big screen. I guess that's where I'm conflicted.

I'm sure I'll watch the DVD when it comes out (looking for extras and commentary. Hopefully Keanu will do commentary again!), but I don't think it will be a Keanu movie I watch over and over like I do with some of his other films.

keanugirl762008-05-14 14:37:20

Forum Posts: 268
I'll have to wait for it until June 27
LuxuriantN
2008-05-14 17:06:10

June 27? Wow - the dvd might be out by then Just kidding (but if it is I will send you one lol).

I loved SK but the more I think about it, the more incomplete I feel it was. It seemed like lots of the story had been cut out in big chunks - stuff you feel should have been there, you know?

Regardless of that, I enjoyed what they left lol. I just hope there is an extended version released on dvd sometime in the future.
keanugirl762008-05-15 16:33:07

Forum Posts: 268
Thank you very much anyway, Luxie!

To this extent, it would be much better if the DVD came out directly without the release in theatres.

I even planned to go to the nearby country - it takes just two hours by car to reach it and there is a theatre just some miles after the border - to see it.

But, very bad surprise, there the movie comes out on June 27 as well...
Misty2014-12-02 08:56:27

Forum Posts: 67
Comments: 2
Reviews: 5
This film is awesome!
Initially, I was discouraged by the trailer which made me think this film is full of car-chase, waste of bullets, or boys bragging their muscles, but it is not. It is a deep story to tell ... what a hard life for a good person wanting to keep their integrity. So many aspects that I can relate to my life. I keep replaying in the middle of many interesting scenes. What was actually a 1,5-hour movie then became a 3-hour show for me ... This is a gem!
LucaM
2018-01-30 00:59:55

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
https://www.instagram.com/p/BegiucnBIyC/

trivia: Detective Tom Ludlow (Keanu Reeves) wakes up at the beginning of the film to the same alarm sound as Neo did in the Matrix

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.