Here's an interesting little article about the glass house in The Lake House:

"Triangle Modernist Houses Presents 'The Lake House' at Galaxy Cinema"

http://shar.es/aV0SC

Worth a read, methinks. :-)

lady_majestik2010-02-16 06:00

Forum Posts: 31
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
God, I'm getting incredibly bad when it comes to his movies. I just watched this again on Saturday night, shoot me now but I noticed something I never did before.

Just before Kate and her boyfriend hit the architects office, The Lake House looked like an M. Shalayman Night film, she's the only one wearing a bright red coat through the foyer and everyone else is wearing dark colors LOL.

I really gotta stop watching these movies, over and over and over and over.

LucaM
2010-02-16 07:32

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
lady_majestic, that's a good observation !

There's a lot of symbolism to that bright red coat : a nod to the original movie ; Valentine's Day red ( just like the two red envelopes ) ; it defines her as an 'outsider' and also marks her 'ripeness' for the moment that's about to come. It's the first time in the movie she wears bright colors. She's ready for the change.

...okay, I can almost hear the director laughing his head off. :D

I really gotta stop watching these movies, over and over and over and over.

you and me both... ;)

lady_majestik2010-02-16 08:54

Luca,

Even more awesome observational powers, I was thinking how the red envelope showed up right after that too. Unfortunately now though, since you brought up it was the first time in the movie she wears bright colors, I have to go back and watch the whole movie all over again...LOLOL.

LucaM
2010-02-16 20:39

another spot of color : the scarf she sends to Alex in that mail box. Same bright red. He wears it next day at the construction site and we can see the foreman raising an eyebrow, but not saying anything...

Glad I could offer a pretext for yet another viewing ;) :D

lady_majestik2010-02-18 05:28

OMG...you are right, how did I miss that LOL. Man, that's a lot to keep track of now but it will be worth it to give myself an excuse to watch the movie yet again. Like I need an excuse to watch his movies anyway LOL.
inkhuldra
2011-05-15 15:07

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
I just stumbled upon a wiki for The Lake House, and thought I'd post some of the notes from it because I found them interesting:

Production

The film is set and filmed in the Chicago area. The downtown scenes are in The Loop. The scene where Kate and Morgan go to Henry's office, and Kate's dramatic exit down the stairs was filmed at the Chicago Architecture Foundation. The scene where Henry and Alex talk on the street after being in their father's office was filmed on the 400 block of South Michigan Ave, in front of the Fine Arts Building and the Auditorium Theater. Other filming location include Aurora, Illinois (now the Madison Park community) & Riverside, Illinois, a small town on the outskirts of Chicago known for its historic houses, and several Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. The train station in the movie is the real station of Riverside, and the bridge that Alex crosses, chasing Jack is called the "Swinging Bridge". It crosses the Des Plaines River. The lake house itself was built for the movie and dismantled after filming completed.

Box office

In its opening weekend, the film grossed a total of $13.6 million, ranking fourth in the United States box office. As of October 1, 2006, the movie has grossed $52,330,111 domestically, and $114,830,111 worldwide.

On September 26, 2006, the movie became the first to be simultaneously released on DVD, Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD (courtesy of Warner Home Video).

Critical reception

According to the website Rotten Tomatoes, one third of the critics gave the movie a positive review. Many critics have expressed dissatisfaction in the plot's internal logic. Alex breaks Kate's timeline twice during the film, leading some to interpret events as a time paradox. Other critics have ignored those events or have found no reason to follow a single-timeline interpretation of events. Positive reviews concentrate on the film's cinematography, use of Chicago architecture, and the depiction of the characters' feelings of loneliness and separation.

USA Today critic Claudia Puig wrote, "The Lake House is one of the more befuddling movies of recent years. The premise makes no sense, no matter how you turn it around in your head."

Roger Ebert, while pointing out the movie's logical inconsistencies, wrote, "Never mind, I tell you, never mind!" Ebert gave a positive review (3.5 stars out of 4) noting, "What I respond to in the movie is its fundamental romantic impulse."

On August 18, 2006, Reeves and Bullock won a Teen Choice Award for "Choice Liplock" for The Lake House.

-----------------------

The wiki begins with a lengthy plot summary, but I thought I'd leave it out because it's so long -- and we've all seen the movie anyway.

The whole wiki is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lake_House_%28film%29

ARYA
2011-05-15 19:41

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Thanks for the info!
I also find it kinda interesting that The Green Mill Cocktail lounge, featured in The Lake House, has a tunnel underground. Sort of just the way HC has a tunnel.
Giladora
2011-05-16 08:09

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
oh good insights you guys :).. interesting , it summed up what i had in mind with the red color . great :D

and thanks for sharing the info.. ;)

ARYA
2012-08-31 07:26

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/31/tumblrm9lcqnh0mv1rrla6d.gif/][/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Anakin McFly
2012-09-01 23:29

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
I never noticed the red thing!

Roger Ebert, while pointing out the movie's logical inconsistencies

...what logical inconsistencies. :|
it just takes a while to work out, because it uses a fairly unique time travel model (previously seen in the excellent movie Frequency).

LucaM
2012-09-01 23:49

oh Ani, Ebert can't be bothered to actually watch films. It's much more fun writing about them ;)
ARYA
2014-04-02 00:19

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/apr/01/the-lake-house-guilty-pleasure-keanu-reeves-sandra-bullock

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/apr/01/the-lake-house-guilty-pleasure-keanu-reeves-sandra-bullock

allhailkingjack
2014-06-13 10:48

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
I am having so many feels about this movie. I just need to say them and I will understand if folks want to skip my ramblings because y'all already know this stuff.

It's not a perfect movie - it could've used more banter between the two leads, who have such great chemistry even in voiceover - but I thought he did a lovely job in it. I really enjoy seeing him so un-Keanu-like, if that makes sense. In fact, I didn't see Keanu at all, just an accomplished actor past the godlike prettiness of his youth (although still handsome, natch), giving Alex Wyler degrees of depth and shading you don't often see in romantic movies.

He was great throughout, but one segment where he really knocked it out of the park was the relationship with Alex and his dad. He didn't try to compete with Plummer by being all theatrical, which was a really wise decision since no one can out-Plummer the master. He just played it honest and subtle and so accurate to troubled parent/child relationships that I now have a Pavlovian crying response to those scenes.

And speaking of crying...wow. I don't know if I've ever seen another actor so accurately display the kind of crying you do when you lose a loved one. He wasn't trying to cry, he was trying not to cry. Something triggers you, you try to fool yourself into thinking you can hold it back until you realize the floodgates will open either way and you might as well just let the tide roll in. His grief seemed so powerful I almost felt like an intruder watching him. (If anyone knows of the actorly tricks he used to do this, please don't tell me.)

And the way he was hoping right up until the end for some sign of love or affection from his father, while realizing he wouldn't get it, or looking at the picture of him and his dad and mourning the relationship he always wanted - heartbreaking stuff. And then the lovely next shot of him at peace, looking out over the water, having survived the eye of the emotional storm that clarified his thinking on life and love...it is therapeutic, I tell ya. I feel kind of silly saying this amongst all you KCR experts, but I had no idea Keanu was capable of such powerful, emotional work.

Anakin McFly
2014-06-13 13:16

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
I love your posts here. :)
allhailkingjack
2014-06-13 19:09

I love your posts here. :)

I...don't know if you're kidding, but I got plenty more where that came from. As long as you're not getting ready to ban me for making my posts too long, then it's all good.

Keanu's messing me all up. Thought I had him pegged, and then he goes and makes me feel emotions and I am, of a sudden, utterly fascinated with him.

MmeRenard
2014-06-13 19:56

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
I love your posts too! Not at all too long! And oh, I agree with you about The Lake House. Beautiful film, evocative, Sandra is luminous. I want the house so much! Thanks for writing!
LucaM
2014-06-13 23:57

Thought I had him pegged, and then he goes and makes me feel emotions and I am, of a sudden, utterly fascinated with him.

... he does that.
with every new movie. with every new role.
it's part of his charm ;)

lindawn
2014-06-14 06:11

Forum Posts: 102
Feel free to keep on gushing. It is magic when someone new discovers the brilliance of Keanu and it is a joy to witness.
allhailkingjack
2014-06-14 08:07

Not only the new movies, but I keep finding stuff I never noticed when I go back and rewatch - all these fabulous little character touches he adds. Not sure if I'm crazy or if it's real, but what the hell. He inspired me so much I now have to write a Constantine fanfic.

And why is it - serious question - that when he's just as good as everyone else in a film, they get the praise and he gets savaged? It's like assuming he sucks is now an Internet meme of its own.

Feel free to keep on gushing. It is magic when someone new discovers the brilliance of Keanu and it is a joy to witness.

Sorry, don't know why I missed your comment earlier. Anyway, thanks. :) I feel like such a dork, but I want to go out and buy every Keanu movie, ever. I'm even starting to feel a strange emotional attachment to his work, I'm bothered by the fact that he's getting older and I'll be personally sad if he dies, which is just silly but he's really talented and a nice person and preternaturally beautiful and I'm hoping he'll be the first one in the human race to prove the truth that life is eternal.

'Kay, I think I'm in full-on geyser territory now.

[1] 2

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.