WINM Forums :: Everything Else KCR :: Keanu Quote of the Day

1 [2] 3 4

Keanu Quote of the Day
ARYA
2011-07-01 02:16

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
you're welcome nafsunaek. How I would love to help him smooth on that lotion...I will say no more.
LucaM
2011-07-01 02:25

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
don't ;)
nafsunaek
2011-07-01 09:27

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
Reviews: 0
lol ;)
Chiara
2011-08-23 18:46

Forum Posts: 215
Comments: 1
Hi, Arya!I`d like to tell you how much I like to read Keanu`s quotes and to thank you for putting them together.Maybe you could just add the year when Keanu said those lines and maybe the source.Well, that`s just my suggestion and it`s just fine even like this.Hope you won`t stop putting them down.
ARYA
2011-08-23 20:44

@Chiara, My plan was to post one every day so I am a little behind. I got kinda wrapped up in tumblr. So happy to hear you are reading them!
When I think of all the famous quotes from famous people, they do not have dates. I understand that it would be nice to have the details but that turns it into more work and less fun. My main concern is being as sure as I can be that he said all those things. I do make an effort for that. Many of them I heard in video interviews so getting every word can be tricky. Especially with all his uhs, and ums! :)
AdriannaM.
2011-08-23 21:04

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
@ ARYA, lol :D

Ugh that poem still makes me cringe - especially hearing him read it all exaggerated like that. What the hell are those fools laughing at? People will buy anything from the right person . . . sorry,ranting again but I can't help it, just so disappointed :(

ARYA
2011-08-23 21:40

Sometimes things truthful are not all that cool or what we had expectations about. It will be like that a lot of times Adrianna. :)
Chiara
2011-08-24 00:16

Many of them I heard in video interviews so getting every word can be tricky. Especially with all his uhs, and ums! :)

*lol*Arya, I understand. Just imagine how it is when you`re not native English speaker as I`m not,it`s getting even worse.Sometimes I have to ask someone of my friends on youtube for a transcript.
CAn you tell me what is tumblr?

Adrianna,are you disappointed with the poem or with the people`s behavior about it?

ARYA
2011-08-24 04:39

http://keanuquotes.tumblr.com/

http://keanuquotes.tumblr.com/ and click on archive too.

there is also a thread here about tumblr

Chiara
2011-08-24 15:56

Thanks for the explanation,Arya.I`ll check it out.
AdriannaM.
2011-09-08 09:21

Adrianna,are you disappointed with the poem or with the people`s behavior about it?

The poem.

inkhuldra
2011-09-08 14:23

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
I partially agree with you, Adri. I expected Ode to Happiness to be a serious piece of poetry, and an actual ode, stamped with the Keanu seal of thoroughness. Instead it turned out to be an inside joke between him and a friend, who in turn took the joke and ran with it by getting Alexandra Grant in on it. And then it snowballed to the point where Keanu sat in a bookstore in London, presenting it to a live audience for the second time, and even selling it on Amazon.

It doesn't change the fact that, as poems go, that poem was rather silly. And yet, it is like a snapshot of Keanu, at home, with a friend, listening to some soppy music, and then spontaneously writing a grossly exaggerated "poem" about pain and loneliness. Straight out of his own head, just like that.

For someone who's not a fan it's a silly piece of poetry. For some of us fans, it is something that we recognise as poorly executed and sloppy. And yet, it tells us something about that guy; the one who spent his 40th birthday all alone, quietly freaking out at reaching that dreaded number. The guy who does know pain, and who shows it without shame. Anyone who reads 10-15 of his longer interviews in the archive can't miss the sadness within him.

Yes, it is a shitty poem as far as poems go. That's my opinion of it, and I'm sticking to it. I still love it, though, as they are Keanu's own, spontaneous, written words; an instant commentary to that dreadfully soppy music on the radio. I think that, although he made fun of the sad lyrics, he still somehow recognised that sadness. And then, being who he is, he made fun of it.

Wow, I'm being deep this early morning. Must be the lack of tea.

LucaM
2011-09-08 14:39

... what inkhuldra wrote.
( in my case, it's lack of coffee ;) )
ARYA
2011-09-08 23:57

Having read a good amount of Zen poetry I can see why O2H was published. Zen poetry is often very simplistic. I am not agreeing with the 3 of you just for the record.
What I see, in your posts, is a disappointment that there was not a more revelatory work of poetry. A crisis of expectation. We've been there before. I have let go of expectations. The ride is much more fun that way.
PS
Will yall please stop sounding so much like fish.
inkhuldra
2011-09-09 00:17

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
@Arya: Hmmm... No, I don't think it's the lack of revelation that disappointed me. When I learned of the yet-to-be-published book, I got the impression that it would be a collection of poetry. I had the preconceived notion that this would be a project that Keanu had been working on for some time, and that it would be "serious". Instead he published ONE tongue-in-cheek illustrated poem that wasn't technically an ode, haphazardly penned in a few minutes, and which totalled at what? Fifteen pages? And it wasn't even in his own handwriting. :-/

I didn't buy it. I would if I could get it signed, but only if it happened in my presence.

But yes, I agree that it was a crisis of expectation. If I had expected what it actually turned out to be, I wouldn't be so critical of it.

LucaM
2011-09-09 01:50

@ARYA - no expectations here. I've learned to let go of them too.
I LOVE the little poem. love the dripping irony of it. Bought the book. Still enjoying the experience of flipping those pages.
And yet. It's hardly a masterpiece. Will not praise it just because Keanu wrote it. That's why I agreed with ink's post; from the outside, it does sound silly, sloppy, unpolished... as everything K ever says or does, it makes sense only in context. I adore the man; worship the ground he walks on, the duct tape on his boots and the holes in his T-shirts. But that doesn't mean I can't (try to) be objective about his work.

The poem/book is ... what it is. A private joke into which we have been let in - but only if we can get in ;)

AdriannaM.
2011-09-09 06:52

I'm just being honest, I know great literature and poetry when I see it - just like I know good acting ;) I just feel like his writing and his acting talent are incongruous. Crisis of expectation is a good way to put it. I guess as a humorous poem it's nice. Not everything has to be serious, and I guess because it's him, I took it pretty seriously.

I don't feel like the word fish should be extended to opinions about the book because we were kind of blind-sighted by this book :P. We didn't even know that he wrote - then all of a sudden here's this strange little book. Now we're still trying to figure out what to make of it, lol. So please don't fillet and batter me yet XD

Of course I can't make a judgement about the book in its entirety because I've only read that one poem. What is the rest of it like? Sorry if I've asked this before (short term memory not the best it could be, lol).

ARYA
2011-09-09 12:01

do you mean blindsided Adrianna?
Everything about the book is in the O2H thread.
I suggest we don't need to make a judgement. Just observe. Sure some things will attract our attention more than others. Everything does not have to be about attachment or aversion (eg "cringing"). The middle way is better. More fun. Lighter.

@Luca, I do not believe there is objectivity with a capital O. Everything is subjective on some level.

@Inkhuldra, I am glad you recognize the crisis of expectation when you experience it. And I will refer you to the quote from Keanu about what he thinks about critics. :)

In my world the fans are not so fishlike. But, whatever.

LucaM
2011-09-09 20:25

Everything is subjective on some level.

I know that. That's why I wrote 'try to'.

guess sometimes we'll just have to agree to disagree.

AdriannaM.
2011-09-09 21:46

Yea - blindsided, lol. I guess. *blushes*

Anyway, not everything is for everybody. We all have different ideas about what his best work is.

1 [2] 3 4

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.