WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Top Ten Keanu Films

1 [2]

Top Ten Keanu Films
ARYA
2011-09-08 09:43

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I have seen them all, many times, and my number one never changes either. It's FM. But on any given day I'd rather watch any of his movies than TV. That's how I managed to see all of them in the first year of my fandom.
I.R.A.
2012-08-05 13:45

Forum Posts: 50
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Right! Since I'm new here... And I'm very obviously bored. Hold on, let me open the movie list...

Okay, so here's my 10:

• Constantine
• Speed
• The Matrix
• Street Kings
• Hard Ball
• Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures
• The Replacements
• The Devil's Advocate
• The Lake House
• Johnny Mnemonic

These are not necessarily in the order of preference. These 10 I can watch all day.

Runner-ups:
• The Gift (because that scene at the pond was pure genius, my god, his face just showed everything he later said in court. I can't say this is my favorite movie though, because it seems like I only see Ribisi in roles like the one he has in The Gift. If you don't count Avatar. So as a whole, I can't place this movie in top 10)
• Feeling Minnesota (because of how the brothers fought, hurling rocks and furniture at each other. The romance arc was weird though.)
• A Scanner Darkly (because of all the confusion he experiences. Also, narration and close-ups. Beautiful eyes, even when it's a cartoon ;) It's not in top 10 because I don't like movies about doing drugs, I just don't feel all that. Here I'm excluding alcohol and cigarettes - that I get.)
• Henry's Crime (because Reeves' comedy is not just Ted, it's also this deadpan delivery. Also, his confusion and naivety were great. Not in the top 10 because I don't buy the ending)
• Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (because of Evil Ted and because of them playing games with the Grim Reaper. This I'll have to watch again, but for now I like the Adventure much better)
• The Day the Earth Stood Still (because Klaatu is still a pretty cool dude. Interrogation and train station scenes were good. The movie in its entirety - not so much. Felt kind of thrown together. Also, if I were Klaatu, I wouldn't be so easily brought around.)

:)

Joke
2012-08-05 14:01

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Have you seen River's Edge, Point Break and My Own Private Idaho I.R.A. ?
I.R.A.
2012-08-05 14:26

I have River's Edge, didn't watch it yet. I hear he's good in it.

Point Break is not my favorite. It's too cheesy for my taste. I do, however, like Reeves in it, although I don't like Utah's love interest. I really like the moments when Utah gets all policeman-like, chasing Bodhi and everything after that - the blackmailing, the bank robbery, the airplane escape. Except if I were Utah I wouldn't let Bodhi go for that last ride. Some things are unforgivable and Bodhi gets away with it waaaay too easy. And Utah is ruined. That's just wrong. I know it's strange that I think that the movie is cheesy but still wish for a happy ending for Utah - well, what can I say :)

My Own Private Idaho... I know that everybody loves it but it's a little too weird for me. Although I did like that deleted scene where Scotty plays his father on the stage. Oh, and that scene in the taxi in Italy! When his girlfriend is kissing him and he's distracted, reading the letter, and he has that absolutely wicked smile, GAWD! Like the world is finally his to rule. That was awesome. I'll need to read Shakespeare's source material to better get it, I think, but English is not my native language, so that's tricky :)

LucaM
2012-08-05 15:57

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

Except if I were Utah I wouldn't let Bodhi go for that last ride. Some things are unforgivable and Bodhi gets away with it waaaay too easy. And Utah is ruined. That's just wrong.

... the way I see it, Utah was ruined anyway; his knee was shattered, and Bodhi took away his 'replacement' career. (Utah was not really FBI material, and Bodhi has already told him that to his face). So on that beach, in the ending scene, Utah had to become his true self. And he didn't let Bodhi 'get away'; he allowed him to die like the free warrior he was, instead of dying slowly in a prison cell. It was the final respect he could pay to his 'Zen master'.
Besides, Utah's mentor (Pappas) was already dead. Now that Bodhi is as good as dead too, there's no reason for Utah to stick around with the FBI one second longer. He reached his goal; "got his man". Now it's time for him to start living, for a change.

ARYA
2012-08-05 23:33

That's so beautiful LucaM and I see it just that way but I did not realize it until I saw your post. I have loved that movie too long and seen it too many times. You know the saying "I laughed I cried, it became a part of me."
I would like to recommend the soundtrack too. And blessings to Kathryn Bigelow wherever she is.
LucaM
2012-08-05 23:40

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
oh, do I know that saying... ;)

And blessings to Kathryn Bigelow wherever she is.

THAT.
ARYA
2012-08-05 23:41

And I'm very obviously bored. Hold on, let me open the movie list...

LOL I.R.A, I have spent too many moments with a pen and notebook trying to define my top ten...and it's still subject to change. And thank goodness he keeps making new ones!

I.R.A.
2012-08-06 02:06

Well, I saw less than half of his movies, so it was easier for me :) And as soon as I started making a list and moving the titles around, it just buit itself :)

As for Point Break, I just really, really don't like Bodhi. So I don't think he deserved to die like a true warrior. I might be too conservative to understand guys like Bodhi. I'm also not really a fan of Ms. Bigelow. Although I admit, I only saw 3 or 4 of her movies. I like them the first time I see them, but when I watch them again or think about them, they kind of fall apart for me. Anyway. Not a topic for this board.

I.R.A.
2012-08-07 12:19

Okay, I just finished River's Edge. At the moment I can't find any English words that would convey what I think of it. I mean, it's not... Er... I seriously don't know words that would fit. It's not that it shocked me (in the positive meaning of that word) - all the shock that characters were expected to feel was downplayed and you kind of go along with them. It's not that I enjoyed it - it's gloomy and those screwed up kids, it's unbelievable. I liked it, liked it very much. I can't think of a proper way to express that. At some moments my jaw would just drop open. It's really cool. Really really cool. I had to take a couple of nervous cigarette breaks :)))

What I didn't like was Crisping Glover being Crispin Glover. He was over the top and all the mannerisms I've already seen in Back to the Future. Maybe I didn't see him in enough films. This, Back to the Future, Charlie's Angels, and Alice in Wonderland. Well, okay, he was alright in Alice. But not River's Edge.

Dennis Hopper though. My god. He was awesome! I've never been a fan of his, but here I loved him.

And I really enjoyed watching Reeves' character. No surprises here :)

(Shit, I really thought his little brother would kill him. As soon as he mentioned a gun, I yelled "Hell no, you are not killing him, you little prick!" My neighbors must love me by now, the way I watch movies.)

Anyway. I tried to find a topic for River's Edge but failed. If it exists, would someone please kindly point me to it so that I can move this message there? If it's out of place here :)

Right. I'll go and try to get some sleep now. Hmm. Interesting movie.

1 [2]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.