WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Tai-Chi Tiger

1 2 3 4 [5]

Tai-Chi Tiger
SaneSun
2011-11-24 17:56

Forum Posts: 202
Comments: 28
Reviews: 0

Arya, I definitely agree that he looks hot. My point is that he doesn't *try* to look hot, he just *is*. I was amazed when I saw the photo set that Amanda de Cadenet took at his house, because that was him putting some effort into looking hot. I almost had a heart attack because it was so unexpected. :-D

That shoot is exactly what came to my mind when you first said he doesn't try to look hot. It probably ís a good thing that he doesn't, because every time someone else 'makes' him look hot like Amanda did, one gets into a nearly-fainting-state and I can only imagine that's not nice to have people do that around you all day. :-D

ARYA
2011-11-25 00:54

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Soooo, he is restraining his natural tendency to exude sex to spare us losing our composure? He is doing it for us. How thoughtful!
I remember the day we first saw those pics from the Vogue Hommes mag. The fandom were atwitter with excitement, myself included...
inkhuldra
2011-11-25 02:44

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153

I remember the day we first saw those pics from the Vogue Hommes mag. The fandom were atwitter with excitement, myself included...

Atwitter?? I had a whole series of fatal heart attacks as I looked at one photo after another. I've never died so much in my entire life. I'm sure that at least 90% of fandom breathed their last sigh that day. Repeatedly.

What we need next is Amanda dC photographing Our Man as he demonstrates his 10 minute routines for getting up in the morning and going to bed at night. His morning shower also needs to be thoroughly documented. For scientific purposes, of course.

Additionally, we need irrefutable evidence of him standing in front of his closet choosing what to wear. I refuse to believe that this has ever happened until I see photographic documentation from boxer shorts onwards. Also for science, I hasten to add.

SaneSun
2011-11-25 17:43

Ink, thanks, you've just made my day!
ARYA
2011-11-26 02:07

Agree it was exciting that day. I bet CK had more traffic than any other day. It had the extra allure that it was shot in his house.
After all my intensive studying of his behaviors I would like to start with seeing him shave. Excepting for the bit in Dracula he never does that. And he never ever brushes his teeth in the movies. He got close in SK but no actual tooth brushing. Even Sandra brushed her teeth in TLH.
BlueGem
2011-11-26 05:47

Forum Posts: 184
Comments: 11
Since I joined the party so late, tell me where to find this photo shoot you're discussing. Please.
LucaM
2011-11-26 06:26

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
some of the photos are here
http://www.keanu-reeves.net/photos/thumbnails.php?album=427
http://keanulover.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/keanu-reeves-vogue-france/

SaneSun
2011-11-26 22:00

My favorite page is this one:

http://my.opera.com/celebfan2/albums/show.dml?id=876215

I think the entire collection is there and worse, you can zoom in on some of them :/

(With this shoot especially I get the feeling that he's just toying with our minds)

LucaM
2011-11-26 22:16

... he is ;)

it's also the photographer's merit for creating the right atmosphere...
he trusts Amanda, and the camera captures that.

ARYA
2011-11-26 23:37

I love that myopera site. I've tried to sign up there many times and could not. And that fan is a wonderful artist if I am recalling correctly. Fab keanu drawings.
BlueGem
2011-11-27 07:11

Forum Posts: 184
Comments: 11
Thank you, LucaM and SaneSun! They should package a defibrillator with a photo shoot like that. Wowza! I think my heart stopped at least 43 times! Yes, he's definitely messing with our minds, but hey, feel free, Keanu. I can take it. He makes a great model. I agree with SaneSun. He is just a beautiful man.

But actually, I think maybe he's just deeply mocking the whole media-image-model thing by posing for those shirtless, wet, and in-the-bed shots, with that slightly ironic expression. Like he is saying, "This isn't really me. I'll never give you the real me. I'll just give you this, because that's what people expect of hot celebs, and let you make it be whatever you want it to be. Or will I? How do you know who the real me is? Maybe this is me. Or sort of me. Or sometimes me. Or not."

On another note, I am detecting a bed-related recurring theme...this photo shoot...the recent comment about tying himself to the bedpost when he feels like taking a demon ride...the German interview with his comment about how wonderful his bed is...

Whew. Didn't mean to wax philosophical there. He just does that to me, somehow.

OK, all better now!

LucaM
2011-11-27 07:39

*offers BlueGem a gorgeous white one hundred percent and it will never change towel*
He does that to many of us. it's part of the 'Keanu effect'. welcome to the club ;)

But actually, I think maybe he's just deeply mocking the whole media-image-model thing by posing for those shirtless, wet, and in-the-bed shots, with that slightly ironic expression. Like he is saying, "This isn't really me. I'll never give you the real me. I'll just give you this, because that's what people expect of hot celebs, and let you make it be whatever you want it to be. Or will I? How do you know who the real me is? Maybe this is me. Or sort of me. Or sometimes me. Or not."

... wow. this should have been the header of that article. or the closing paragraph.

ARYA
2011-12-16 00:21

Village Roadshow Asia, China Film Group, Wanda Media and Universal Pictures are co-financing the martial arts pic, which will shoot in China.

Universal Pictures is boarding Keanu Reeves' directorial debut Man of Tai Chi, which will be shot in China and co-financed by Village Roadshow Pictures Asia, China Film Group, Wanda Media and Universal.

Reeves, who also will co-star in the martial arts pic, has been in talks with Village Roadshow Asia and China Film Group for months regarding the project. Village Roadshow Asia's affiliates will distribute Man of Tai Chi in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore, by China Film Group and Wanda Media Group in China and by Universal in the rest of the world.

Man of Tai Chi reteams Reeves and Village Roadshow, which co-produced and co-financed The Matrix franchise with Warner Bros.

Set in contemporary Beijing, Man of Tai Chi headlines Tiger Chen, who was part of the kung fu team in The Matrix. In Man of Tai Chi, Chen stars as a young martial artist whose fighting skills brings him to a realm of vast opportunities, and painful choices.

Reeves, who is currently in China, will shoot the film in Mandarin and English, and is slated to start production in February.

"We are pleased to announce Man of Tai Chi under the Village Roadshow Pictures Asia label and to extend our long-standing relationship with Keanu," Village Roadshow Entertainment Group CEO Glen Basser said.

Universal International president David Kosse said the opportunity to become further involved in the Chinese market, as well as to bring Chinese films to audiences around the world, is a priority for the studio. "Man of Tai Chi has an amazing pedigree of filmmakers and we're thrilled to be a part of Keanu's directorial debut," he said.

inkhuldra
2011-12-16 00:47

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
BlueGem quoth:

On another note, I am detecting a bed-related recurring theme

There was a couch-related recurring theme before. He kept talking about his couch and how much he loved it. If I remember correctly he mentioned missing his couch when he lived at the Château Marmont.

I don't mind at all if he continues with this new, bed-related theme. Keep going, Ke, we're all ears. :-D

LucaM
2017-01-10 03:48:53

started reading Death's End (third book of the Third Body Problem trilogy) and the name of a character, Lao Li, was translated by Ken Liu as 'Old Li'

... which reminded me of the posts on page 2 here and the talk on how Lao Li should be translated..
now we have an official translation :)

recordofyouth
2019-06-09 22:46:10

Forum Posts: 8
Comments: 1
@LucaM Yeah, "Lao Li" here means old Li, actually old plus the family name is usually used to call a close friend or a family member, or just a casual calling. "lao" is only a Chinese phonetic annotation, there are 62 Chinese characters sounding the same "lao", with four different tones, and 249 for "li".
We can pronounce r, but there are official translation rules and it has formed as the tradition, while the translation rules are slightly different between the mainland and Taiwan, Hongkong. We used to translate the sound ree as lee, while lee in Chinese phonetic annotation is "li".

Ken Liu's translation is good. Many people believe that the Third Body Problem would not win the award if not have Ken Liu as the translator. I also believe this is one of the key factors. I myself haven't read the book and never gonna to. CX Liu's style of writing in his original language is much like an elementary school pupil, and some people would agree that it is better to read Ken Liu's edition.
The brief introduction of the story and the female roles make me sick, and which is worse, there are some public activities in which CX Liu showed totally no respect to females, arousing unpleasant controversy, the huge number of fans of CX Liu they just bite whatever against their side. Sometimes I wonder that the writer could divide people into groups, some as noble as himself, while others as sacrifices to them.

LucaM
2019-06-09 23:32:27

@recordofyouth - thank you so much for clarifying that translation! I really appreciate it!

Wasn't aware of the controversy around Liu Cixin - but even if I were, I'd probably have read the books anyway, because one of the things the Matrix movies taught me was to make my own damned mind about things. So I will read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies out of curiosity. At other times, I will be voting with my wallet - as in giving box office returns to movies I choose to (no that the box office in Romania matters to anyone, anyway...)

At the same time, I have access to many books only through translations... so if you're saying his writing style is simple, then you know better, since it's your language and culture...
Even with the translation, the books felt half-alien to me, because of cultural differences...

recordofyouth
2019-06-10 01:12:24

Forum Posts: 8
Comments: 1
@LucaM Glad that you like the clarifying of that translation.
The whole translation of Keanu Reeves in Chinese contains 5 Chinese charaters, which sounds like "gi noo lee wis". We can pronouce v, but there is no Chinese character with v. It is a traditional way to translate the sound ree as lee. We miss the sound a, however this is not bad, because people remember short names better. For example, the most well-known philosopher here must be Nietzsche, since his translated name only contains 2 Chinese charaters. Besides, if there is a, "a noo" in a Chinese name sounds like an ancient female name probably with no social status like a maidservant. As for k, we translate it to g, j, k, q.
We usually translate foreign names by the sound other than by the meaning. And in common sense, we avoid using Chinese family names to translate foreign names, so that we can easily distinguish. Actually we prefer to choose Chinese characters with less meanings, such as adverbs. So calling a foreigner "lao Li", old Li, it really sounds like a family member. Perhaps you would like to know who is "xiao Li", "xiao" here means little, young, the opposite of old, it is Leonardo. ("lao" sounds like law, "xiao" sounds like shaw.)
Well, we are not voting with our wallets for John Wick series, since they are not released here because of the policy, and our box office owes millions to Keanu.

The original cultural background is complex, people of CX Liu's generation experienced more political transformations than we do now. And CX Liu's opinion only represent some of his generation, and you know, I don't agree with him. So I think it is just ok that you don't get cultural meaning in his book, it maybe a good thing. I am not talking that CX Liu's writing style is simple, I mean clumsy sometimes unbearable, and as a comparison, George R.R.Martin's is simple and easy to read, and so is Ken Liu's. CX Liu's translated edition in USA has been demanded to modify and remove contents of sex discrimination and this causes dissatisfaction to his fans here who take him as an unshakable belief.
You are not alone. I also read translations, apparently it takes too much time to read the original language edition for me. Once I try to read the Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin. There are several translated editions from the mainland and TW. I figure out meanings of sentences are not always the same, so I fetch the original English edition. Some words are really hard for me to understand, and by dictionary and web searching, I find out that the translators also didn't do a full work, I mean, they are right, but you know, words have multilevel meanings, Ursula used some words that have particular meanings in philosophy, while some philosophical concepts are quite unfamiliar to common people with our education background.
Take another example. Chinese phonetic annotation is a historical product, it made a great contribution to education. But it is not good enough in linguistics, because the phonetic annotations are not standardized, and meanwhile should not be used directly as words in translation. There are articles criticizing using phonetic annotations instead of words. One of the most famous ones is a complete story, written by Yuanren Zhao, with about a hundred Chinese characters, each Chinese character with the same phonetic annotation, then how could people tell what is talking about merely by phonetic annotations?
So I guess it is inevitable, words lose some meanings, sentences lose some rhythms, and stories lose some cultural backgroud. Yet, we still enjoy books even through translations, only that this would not help us being a professional literature researcher. :)

1 2 3 4 [5]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.