[1] 2

Hi!
k1000a92
2011-03-04 21:03

Forum Posts: 17
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Greetings to all the wonderful people around here! :D

I've been lurking around this site since mid December but I only gathered the courage to join the site now.
And when I say lurking, I mean visiting the site daily, going on an Archive binge (I think I read something like 20 articles in a weekend :/), reading entire forum threads, and going on extensive Keanu movie marathons. I watched half his filmography in a month.
Yes, that's like 30 films.
Yes, I watched some of them twice just for the hell of it.
(you are rightfully entitled to feel creeped out)

I may not be cut out to be a fisher (as you may have gathered from my professional lurker credentials :P), but I still would love to help out in any way I can here at winm and elsewhere.
I could try to translate from both Spanish and French if you need it :)

English is not my first language, so if my posts ever dwell into the realm of the unintelligible (faulty grammar and spelling errors included), please do tell me.

Thank you all for spreading word about Keanu!
And a special thanks to Ani, because you're an awesome fanfic writer and your fanfics were what got me so hooked up on Keanu lore :D

Be seeing you!

LucaM
2011-03-04 21:07

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
creeped out?
yours truly watched Constantine 4 times in 24 hours.
as for how many times I've ever watched it... don't ask. one too many, probably. ;) :D

same for the Matrix trilogy.

in other words : WELCOME aboard ;) :D

k1000a92
2011-03-04 22:37

Hahaha!!! *wipes tear of laughter* :')
(wow, that was fast; I didn't expect an answer so soon!)
Thanks Luca! :D

I think my personal record is the night I re-watched the Matrix trilogy, Speed, River's Edge and the Bill & Ted movies while pulling an all-nighter working on a model for school. Constantine was on the playlist, but alas, the night ended before his turn.

Glad to know I have insanity partners :).
I already have trouble convincing friends and family that I'm not completely crazy for watching that many films in a row, let alone telling them that they're in the vast majority Keanu films.
I'm trying to the best of my ability to win them over to the "Keanu CAN act" side. It's a slow and long process, but hopefully things will change with time :)

Thanks again for such a warm welcome (and such a quick response)!
I look forward to being a part of winm with all of you (and not just lurking in the shadows) :D

nafsunaek
2011-03-04 23:21

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
Welcome! I think most of us have committed the same 'sin' - that is watching and rewatching keanu's films... and I feel we're not on the path for repentance ... ;)

Edit: Did I say most of us? Should have said all of us !!!

inkhuldra
2011-03-04 23:29

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Glad to have you join the ranks, k1000a92! Insanity runs rampant among us, so you'll fit right it. We even have our own full-blown lunatic in the shape of "Guest" in the comments section. She'll either get kicked out or made our official mascot -- if the latter, I hereby propose we call her our Resident Retard.

Anywoofs, welcome to this wonderful little corner of the Interverse, where we get to be as crazily fangirlish as we please without hurting ourselves or anyone else. :-D

ARYA
2011-03-05 01:35

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
So glad you found yourself here k10000! Your english is fantastic. So lucky to have you here with your translater skills. btw no one on the earth has watched the movies more than me so don't even try to attempt to out do that. Just enjoy the ride with each one you watch for the first time.
I am also not into the fisher thing.
Just fyi, have you also heard that keanuweb.com is reopening in May? And have you perused Club-Keanu? I assume you know about keanumania.com
Anakin McFly
2011-03-05 02:35

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Hi! Thanks, and welcome!
k1000a92
2011-03-05 02:49

Thanks nafsunaek, ink, ARYA and Ani!
I'm very happy to be a member of this wonderful group of crazy awesome people :D

I agree that ours is probably the good kind of crazy; the one that leads to creative and insightful works of art, or at least to interesting ramblings :P
It's also true that the "Guest" provides us with the other kind of crazy, the one that should take their medicine and not take the advice of the voices inside their heads. Because they may be entertaining to watch, but then one day you'll find them at your front door with a blood-stained ax on their hand, half a watermelon on their head, looking at you through wild eyes and saying softly "The ducks told me where to find you."
And then it won't be so fun anymore D:

So yeah.
Let's enjoy each other's sane craziness :D There are insane trolls out there, but hopefully they won't bother us much (and the ducks won't tell them where we live <_< >_>)

ARYA-
I have taken a look at other Keanu fansites, but the humor and the general "let's all be excellent to each other" vibe of this site clicked with me :)
I'll probably go over to those other sites in search of more Keanu related info (since right now I'm still in my "I just need to know about this" phase :P), but I really chose to be a member of winm for all the great people posting around here.

And after these responses, I'm very glad I made this choice :)

It's good to feel so welcome :D

gulbie
2011-03-05 04:25

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
Hi, Welcome on board! I'm Gulbie, nice to meet you.

AdriannaM.
2011-03-05 04:37

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
Pleased to meet you k1000a92 :) <3

I cannot throw stones at the creepy or the insane,just happy to not be the "resident retard"

You must watch Constantine

ARYA
2011-03-05 05:43

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
and you must watch constantine with commentary and the extras. :)
I forgot to mention the site I keep up
http://keanuquotes.livejournal.com/

LucaM
2011-03-05 05:46

yes. definitely.
k1000a92
2011-03-05 05:53

Hi gulbie! Hi AdriannaM!
Nice to meet you too :D

Adri-
It's not that I like to throw stones at the crazy people (as a horror movie and comics fan, I actually enjoy weird, creepy stuff in fiction :P). It's just that encountering someone who is truly insane in real life makes me feel very uneasy.
If it's a troll, then I'm just annoyed :/

I have watched Constantine. I really liked it :D (and it's on the list of "films I'll make my brothers watch so that they too may spread the awesome that is Keanu").
I was re-watching Keanu movies that night while working on a model (making a model is a time-consuming but largely mindless task if you did the plans right). I had already seen all those movies, which made them perfect to play as a backdrop of sorts while I spent hours cutting and gluing cardboard.
It just so happened that Constantine wound up late on the list, thus I didn't get to see it that night :P

In fact I'm looking for the Hellblazer comics so I may compare the two portrayals accurately. I'm aware of the bad reputation the movie has among fans of the graphic novels (that's how I heard about the movie in the first place), but having seen the movie before reading the comics I believe it works on its own as an action/supernatural story. It really is a good movie, and I think more people would like it if they actually gave it a chance. "Free your mind", you know? :)

I think I'll re-watch Constantine in the near future in your honor ;)

k1000a92
2011-03-05 05:58

Ooooh... That's a great suggestion!
I like commentaries and extras :D

Ok, now I know I'll be seeing Connie's smirk again soon ;)

LucaM
2011-03-05 06:13

I could type all night about the Hellblazer/Constantine movie adaptation, but the synopsis of it is here :
http://www.whoaisnotme.net/kmdb/reviews.php?id=05con

one thing I'd like to add. the very first scene when we meet Constantine; we don't even get to see him, just a hand out of the cab window, throwing away the cigarette butt. An apparently simple gesture that speaks volumes. the way he does it is pure Constantine ( to the connoisseurs) It also made a non-initiate raise her eyebrow and ask 'who the ... does he think he is?' and so it began... ;)

lindawn
2011-03-05 06:14

Forum Posts: 102
Comments: 14
Hi k1000a92.

Welcome to WINM. No need to be embarrassed by you fangirl obsession. We all have it here. The company here is on the more intelligent end of the spectrum and that is the reason why this is the only site I ever post at. I too visit a few others for the news but really enjoy the company and conversation here.

Where are you from?

k1000a92
2011-03-05 07:26

I agree with your review of the movie Luca ;)

Now that you mention it, I've actually met the comic book Constantine. It was through his early roles in Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" and Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" (both great series; do check them out if you have the chance). And it's true that, while the backgrounds are very different, the essence of the character, the way he faces the world and the forces that surround him, is there.
You can see the movie as an entirely different story from the graphic novels', with just the same spelling for the main character's name. Or you can see it as the translation of a character from sequential art (fancy term for "comics" :P) to film. It doesn't try to stay as close to the source material as possible, because there are things that work in a medium and don't in another. It seems to me that the people behind the movie chose to go their own way with the setting and the presentation of the character and that their decision works well with how Connie comes across on screen.

Some fanboys won't agree with that approach and argue that a film adaptation of a comic should be 100% faithful to the source material. However, I think that characters and settings gain in depth from different portrayals, the same way the Greek myths have become timeless through countless interpretations and deconstructions over the centuries. When you put a new spin to a character, if you keep the essence there, if you manage to convey what makes that person or whatever themselves, then you've given them new depths, new facets that can be explored and analyzed.
It's a fascinating process. (And that's a why I love fanfics when they're written well :D)

I should probably stop rambling now (though as you say Luca, I could keep discussing this all night :P)

Hi lindawn!

If you mean "where are you from?" in the cyberspacy sense, as in "through which site did you get here?", I think I got here through google after reading http://tvtropes.org's articles on Bill & Ted and Keanu (the site is a wiki, and even if it has a slight penchant for fishiness, one can edit almost everything there).

If you mean "where are you from?" in a more geographical sense, I was born and raised in Argentina, spent middle-school and high-school in Spain and I'm currently studying in France. :D

LucaM
2011-03-05 19:13

k1000a92- thanks :)
I've read almost everything Alan Moore wrote so far ( may I recommend 'Promethea' and the graphic novel 'From Hell'- don't even get me started about that Johnny Depp movie :( -) and almost everything Neil Gaiman wrote, comic books and novels and his blog and his tweets :D
I'm crazy that way :D
the one you met there is the 'early Constantine'. with all respect to Alan Moore, all he did was define him as a young Sting lookalike with a Humphrey Bogart trenchcoat. but he wrote him bi-dimensional at best. to quote one of the many readers' letters in the Hellblazer series, John’s evolution over the years : Alan Moore gave him life. Jamie Delano gave him a brain. Garth Ennis gave him balls. Paul Jenkins gave him heart.
... and then Francis Lawrence and Keanu Reeves gave us the Constantine I fell in love with. and in the same time, as art imitates life and art in the same time, Mike Carey was writing some of the best Hellblazer series ever. (in my opinion, at least). Read Carey's graphic novel 'All His Engines', and you'll see. And then there's Delano's two-issue series 'The Horrorist' which goes on slightly different tangent; and when Delano returned to write the 25th anniversary edition , 'Pandemonium'... it was a treat to meet again both writer and character, older and not necessarily wiser :D

yeah, I know, should shut up now :D

other comics I recommend - IF you haven't read them yet : Mike Carey's 'Lucifer' series. brilliant. Brian Azarello's '100 Bullets' and 'Loveless' - if you like American grit. Garth Ennis... sorry but I don't like his style. which is ironic as he wrote the Hellblazer issues the movie was slightly based on. but I don't particularly like the direction into which he went later, with his other series.
As from the 'contemporary urban themes' genre or whatever it's called, I heartily recommend anything Brian Wood wrote and various artists draw. 'Local', 'Demo', 'Couscous Express'... and so on.
There's a whole world of comics out there, with various genres. I'm barely scratching the surface...

as for the fanboys - one can never please them. so Constantine was not 100% faithful to the Hellblazer series, I agree. But fanboys also dissed Snyder's adaptation of Watchmen and if it wasn't shot frame by frame as the comics, except for a very slight change towards the end ( alien beast in the comics, alternative energy source or whatever it was in the movie), I don't know what to say. what was Snyder's fault, that his movie was TOO faithful to the comics? wake up, people, that's the real Alan Moore stuff, not what Hwood made out of 'From Hell' ! ooops, I said I won't get started on that ... :D

anyway ;)

I think that characters and settings gain in depth from different portrayals, the same way the Greek myths have become timeless through countless interpretations and deconstructions over the centuries. When you put a new spin to a character, if you keep the essence there, if you manage to convey what makes that person or whatever themselves, then you've given them new depths, new facets that can be explored and analyzed.

you, my friend, have hit the nail on the head. :)

ShadowSpark
2011-03-05 20:40

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33
Greetings Program:k1000a92!

From the resident Tron nut, welcome to the site!

Donna_J
2011-03-06 00:59

Forum Posts: 264
Comments: 3
Hello! k1000a92, glad too meet you! Google is great, isn't it? I got here through google too! And I could watch Matrix every day for breakfast, dinner and supper if only had time :D (Constantine is better watched at night ;) ).

[1] 2

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.