WINM Forums :: Everything Else KCR :: Lawrence Fishburn commentary

[1] 2

Lawrence Fishburn commentary
ARYA
2011-05-11 06:57

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I copied this from the commentary on the blu-ray release of the ultimate matrix collection. Not sure if its posted anywhere.

"There is something about Keanu that is of this world, but not of this world. Keanu is one of those people who, uh, in some respects...you only get to witness their presence. You only get to watch. He is again deeply deeply sensitive and keenly intelligent. And it's been just a real joy to sort of, walk through this whole crazy experience with him.
There's a real love and appreciation. There's a real genuine affection that we have for one another. Um, I have to say that he's completely dedicated to Neo. I mean, he's dedicated his life to Neo. He's given, ya know, more than...I, I, I don't know how he's managed to sort of, put himself on hold. To let this character live in the way that he has."
LucaM
2011-05-12 02:28

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
billion thanks for the quote. I don't remember hearing this on the 'standard' DVD Ultimate Matrix collection. which DVD was it on?

There is something about Keanu that is of this world, but not of this world. Keanu is one of those people who, uh, in some respects...you only get to witness their presence. You only get to watch.
this... confirms a growing feeling I've had in the past two years... after reading almost all the articles out there and watching the live interviews and shows and the movies and the paps shots and whatnot... after putting it all together and analyzing and splitting everything into bits and pieces and.
all this from a distance, of course. from quite a distance.
reached the conclusion that he's indeed one of a kind. or, as seer might say, a completely different kind of critter ;)
and that one has to be very, very special to be allowed behind those walls. or rather, one has to be perceived by K as such ;)

ARYA
2011-05-12 03:29

I was surprised to see it too. On the blu-ray ultimate matrix collection there are a few bits of "in picture commentary" that were new to me. I may be projecting but I can almost swear that keanu gets choked up talking about Neo's death.

LucaM
2011-05-12 03:39

... well, given the above quote, it sort of figures...

He was Neo. and had to live with the character for ... what? almost three years? and had to actually live Neo's journey... a character who finds his own voice only in the last 10 minutes of the trilogy? when finally everything almost falls into place?

had it been any other movie, this amazing feat would not have gone unnoticed. But the Matrix sequels flew over the heads of too many :(

ARYA
2011-05-18 08:07

Watched it again. He chokes up. Again, he has me staring with my mouth open. I think from beginning to end promos it was more like 6 years. Agree it was all about the last 10 minutes.
Giladora
2011-05-18 21:02

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
Reviews: 0

There is something about Keanu that is of this world, but not of this world. Keanu is one of those people who, uh, in some respects...you only get to witness their presence. You only get to watch.

he's indeed one of a kind. or, as seer might say, a completely different kind of critter ;)

I could say how Keanu came back to my life , and I wish it wouldn't sound crazy.. so I have to remain on the Intellectual level .. THANK YOU ALOT for these post(s)..

LucaM
2011-05-18 22:09

Giladora - if you want to share the story, I'm listening. er, reading. even if it doesn't seem to make sense. even if it sounds crazy. there are so many things in fandom that border on crazy and yet fall into place beautifully...

ARYA
2011-05-18 23:32

@Giladora...interconnection takes on so many many forms, fandom included. Often not understood in a conventional way. Please don't be fearful of sharing. If you do share, and start to have regrets, you can delete ya know. :)
Giladora
2011-05-19 09:02

Ah ,you guys are nice , encouraging me :)

gosh ,now I'm reading my previous comment and it DOES seem like I'm crying out to say something .lol.
i was speaking my mind loud . i wasn't saying that i wanna say it here , I was thinking that why I cant tell it to ANYONE .. so it's my first time that Im talking about this experience :-/

okay then here's the story , i write my background with him too . because I think , there's sth about it.

KEANU:

Like many Other People , for me it all began with "SPEED"..and then blah blah.

1999 : The Matrix-Mania , at this stage i was totally in love with both Neo and Keanu , go figure with the movie .

2000: University >> loving keanu Reeves is a taboo. and that is the beginning of forgetting Keanu Reeves.

2001: life happened , there were too many artists/ philosophers/ thinkers that i had to follow , and some other stuff .. so there was no room left for Keanu . yes, I watched the whole Matrix trilogy in following years plus Sweet November , and Something's gotta give .

I started to see a thing in him ,I felt it before but now I could see it somehow. for years I thought it must be about the good interpretation he gave of NEO . that I'm confusing Neo with Keanu ... but suddenly it was like i could touch his soul deeply(Im sure all of you guys had this experience ) but yet again those were just moments , so all these years i never TYPED his name in any search engine..

back to the future and this little crazy thing , that confuses me , but I'm afraid i can't put the CRAZY thing in words (just giving some clues):

in 2008 , I resigned from my highly Intellectual Identity , and the whole life of it for some reasons , and started to explore to find "THE ANSWER".. had quit a dangerous journey tho.

late 2010 : I'm in India , still searching for the answer , I decide to join vipassana camp Meditation for a change , so im sitting for 10 hours a day. for 10 days

Day 4 : meditating ,i think I'm reaching there , not too many distractions , I'm good. yay. all of a sudden a whole army of KEANU REEVES-s (!) one by one , with different clothing ,different moods ,comes into my mind . but one of them is kind of a default , Keanu with beard , wearing a samurai clothing , holding a samurai sword (!!!!) . I try to ignore them , but they won't leave ,so I decide to observe , in some minutes i get to know this man . and a narration comes along telling me :" you forgot yourself ,your soul , that's the hint ,remember it "

s
so yeah !! I know , the whole thing could be just a trick of mind but it confused me WHY HIM ? and when Ive found out about 47R !, i kind of had a panic attack .. THAT is just crazy !!

and ARYA , I'm getting this feeling that maybe i will delete this sooner or later :D but now i just wanna press the button :D

and if anyone read this to the end , I congratulate you on your patience :)

PS: i just counted how many Keanu's movies Ive watched.. 25.. is that an okay record for a fan!! im just wondering

ARYA
2011-05-19 10:40

Thank you so much! I loved your mind stream writing. I would have freaked when I saw he was doing 47Ronin too. I have weird and wonderful connections to many of his movies.
Also I am so jels of your most excellent vipassana retreat and trip to India. I have a theory that the people, places, and things we are drawn to, for no easily explainable reason, are all from deeply hidden memories of past lives. I heard this first in the buddhist understanding so its not really my theory, just one I believe in. And it explains a lot.
Regarding the number of his movies you have seen, I am sure you will get to them all when opportunity permits. I've been fortunate to have some chunks of free time that I filled with viewing every single frame of film I could get my hands on. And being the doubting thomas I am I had to first find him worthy of so much of my uh, attention soooo I had to investigate if he was trustworthy or not. With all the fibbers that took some time.
So here we are at different levels of preoccupation with Mr Reeves. But we are all fans and fortunate that Anakin made this place for us!
LucaM
2011-05-20 00:49

Giladora - wow ! that's quite some story indeed :)
what can I say? there are no coincidences; and the ether does give us hints and nudges every now and then ;)

but I started to see a thing in him , that for years I thought it must be about the good interpretation he gave of NEO . that I'm confusing Neo with Keanu ... but suddenly it was like i could touch his soul deeply(Im sure all of you guys had this experience ) but yet again those were just moments

same here, sort of. it's that 'something' that intrigues and fascinates me. that something I could get only glimpses of, in tiny fractions of seconds; blink and it's gone. and yet...

the search for THE ANSWER... I started on that journey myself, and... coincidence has it, my journey started around the late 2007. but life happened, and I got lost on the way...

Giladora
2011-05-20 06:43

Oh I'm glad I poured it out then :D

@Arya : I exactly know about DETECTING someone .. that was my full-time Job :D now it's my part-time one ;)... and I'm completely agree with that theory . ah and I hope u get to go to India as well :) and hey , YEAH!! I will watch Keanu's other movies for sure :D

and YES .. Thanks to Anakin , that made this place ...

@ Luca : Yup , There's no coincidence , though It was hard for me to believe in that . but There is no coincidence ..dammmit :D

and about your journey !!?? Cool :D I believe if it's yours, you will get back on the track again. after all ,life is happening all the time and living is our journey , and we get the next piece of puzzle maybe from the place we least expect. Rise and Fall is always a part of it anyway

Donna_J
2011-05-20 14:26

Forum Posts: 264
Comments: 3
@Giladora, thanks, that was such a wonderful story!I'm glad you pressed the button:D The trip to India, meditation, Keanu as a samurai.....maybe there were really memories of past lives? Who knows?
My own story is very simple.I saw The Matrix in 2000 and from the moment he raised his head I understood that ......don't know what it waS...but I'm still wondering how he managed to stay with me THAT long)))
P.S.I don't think the number of watched films matters, I have watched only 23(just counted)))))
ARYA
2011-05-20 21:27

@Donna, the moment he raised his head? The part where he opens his eyes and locks them onto the agents? Is that the part you mean?
Donna_J
2011-05-20 23:22

It's when He suddenly wakes up when his computer starts typing(at the very beginning of the movie).
I started watching The Matrix with a great interest( you know it was The Matrix, I heard so much about it), but at first I thought I didn't like it, because there were men in black and Trinity(also in black) jimping from one roof to another and i don't like this betman and superman stuff, so I brought my books(I had to prepare for exams).Then suddenly I saw Neo in headphones sleeping at his computer (I hadn't watched any of Keanu's films before) and already after "knock, knock" my books and exams were totally forgotten.I came to myself only with titles.No actor had impressed me so before.I was just sick for a year or so.I saw him in my dreams, was drawing him , thinking about him.And you know what was funny? After all I couldn't remember his name for some time;D. Then my disease became chronic))), but I haven't recovered and I won't as far as I can see:)
P.S.When Giladora said that she watched Matrix for 20 times I thought I ...m absolutely crazy, because I 've watched it more than 20 times only this year.)))
LucaM
2011-05-21 00:00

we get the next piece of puzzle maybe from the place we least expect. Rise and Fall is always a part of it anyway

thanks, I needed to remember that...

my very first experience with the Matrix movies was watching Neo die :|
That's right, I'm probably the only person in the world who watched the trilogy not only backwards, but in the sequence Revolutions-the first movie-Reloaded. Yup.
But that put a special flavor on the whole thing, because I already knew how it ended so it was fascinating to watch everything unfold and build up to that particular ending. As for how many times I've watch the trilogy... I stopped counting after the 11th marathon ( I used to watch all three movies + the Animatrix in one weekend ; starting Friday night and finishing Saturday around noon... those were the days :D ) I even printed the shooting scripts and made notes on what was changed, which lines were modified, which scene was rewritten or cut...
Come to think of it, haven't done that in quite some time. hmmm .... ;) :D

Giladora
2011-05-21 03:35

@Donna :

After all I couldn't remember his name for some time

LOL.. That's totally crazy and Brilliant and so cute in a way :D that you were so involved with him that you would forget the man's name... and YES I fell out of my chair I guess , at that exact moment , when he raised his head .and yeah, like ARYA said , the moment he raises his head and open his eyes and look at agents ?? , I fell in love . and it wasn't about "the most handsome guy EVER " anymore :D I can write a book from that moment I guess .

@ Luca :

my very first experience with the Matrix movies was watching Neo die :|

Then you must've had such a dramatic experience , watching the rest of the movies . I find it rather Impressive that you didn't find it absurd and watched the rest and you wanted to know "the journey" of Neo.

and ah , those weekends Sounds great :D

LucaM
2011-05-21 04:08

absurd? by the moment the closing credits were rolling on the tv screen, I was in love with the movie, the character and the actor. I didn't understand half the plot, but couldn't resist the tragedy of it. and that minimalist acting? I was hooked for life. it was like I was watching a movie, ANY movie, for the first time in my life. it was the moment when I starting paying attention to movies, more than just as casual entertainment. And then, watching Keanu's filmography... was like attending film school.

And just when I think I have Keanu Reeves the actor figured out ( so to speak) he goes and plays Constantine. And Tom Ludlow. So I'm trapped - and enjoying every moment of it. ( okay, almost every moment of it. except for the times when I biatch about 'there should be more development of Max in HC' :D maybe I'm starting to pay too much attention to movies ;) :D)

Ah, the moment when Neo looks up at the agents and says 'No'... Had I seen the trilogy in its 'logical' order, it would have been 'the point of no return' also for me :) but alas, by the time I got to see it, I'd already watched Neo go 'you were right, Smith. it was inevitable'...
(PLEASE don't let me go into a lengthy post about how Revolutions mirrors the first movie but at a different level of understanding and how so many references in the first movie are explained ( or at least referenced back) in the last and how the circle closes - or rather the loop closes only to restart again, at a different level... 'cause we'll be here 'till Monday morning :D )

Donna_J
2011-05-21 05:51

LOL.. That's totally crazy and Brilliant and so cute in a way :D that you were so involved with him that you would forget the man's name...

Yes, that was crazy, I was involved, in love, but those were not the reasons I couldn't remember his name:).Things are much simpler -I just have a very bad memory :D,(for example I remember only one phone number -mine) and the man, you'll agree, is not called John Smith:).So I wrote this Cool Breeze Over The Mountains's name in my notebook and everything was fine!)))
Giladora
2011-05-24 03:47

@Donna : hah I'm glad it's all fine then :D just right now , I remembered it was because of his name that i wanted to check him out :D I have a thing for names ;)

@Luca: YES , absurd ..haha . It's obvious how that movie worked for you . but I actually know a couple of people who have found Noe's dying a disappointment and absurd , even after watching the first two segment,they refused to watch the third part :D

and ah , I would love to read your insights about the trilogy , but I haven't mastered all three parts yet . probably in next three month I get to do that , and if you would feel like it , it would be great to talk about it . I guess I already got the notion what were you talking about :)

[1] 2

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.