YOUR TOP 10 FAVS
ARYA
2011-07-07 01:23

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
http://www.whoaisnotme.net/kmdb/titles.htm

http://www.whoaisnotme.net/kmdb/titles.htm

Referring to the filmography make a list of your top 10. This might be better for those who have seen most of the list but don't let that stop you.
As with every other thing, this is subject to change but on this day and time I will say:

1. FM
2. SN
3. The Matrix Trilogy (I do not play the "which is better?" game.)
4. DA
5. LB
6. POP
7. Constantine
8. JM
9. ASD
10. TLH

mermaid2011-07-30 12:19

Forum Posts: 6
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
1- My Own Private Idaho
2- A Scanner Darkly
3- Sweet November
4- The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
5- Parenthood
6- Tune in Tomorrow
7- Henry's crime
8- The Devil's Advocate
9- The Prince of Pennsylvania
10-Little Buddha

I like Dangerous Liaisons but I didn't put it in there because his part was so tiny in it. I think my #11 would be Constantine (not my type of film but Keanu seems to be born for the part, it's a complete osmosis- although TBH it could be said in general that Keanu IS his characters rather than just ACT them, he is much more "essence" than "performance" which is part of his genius imo, the other part is conveying a lot of emotional intensity and nuances with minimum effort. Some people criticize this (the lame "plank" jokes) but I've always thought it is immensely superior to convey a lot with little gesticulation than the opposite, which is why Keanu is such a captivating actor).
A film that I didn't like very much but in which I LOVE Keanu: Something's Gotta Give (Keanu at his sexiest but the film crashes hard at the end. Erica's choice is wrong in so many ways they would be too long to list!). + funniest perf of the entire movie in I love you to Death. My favorite line is: "is it legal?... To have sex with kangaroos?" :D

ARYA
2011-07-30 12:40

I love love love your list. My 11th would be MOPI. And if the question is fav charactor I often have named Scotty Favor.
Also agree with your comments on his performances.
But how bout this idea for SGG? He knew she still loved Harry. He knew he needed a younger woman. So, as always, he makes everything work out for everybody. See? Perfect yet again. He can do no wrong. :)
mermaid2011-08-01 10:02

Forum Posts: 6
My problem is what Nicholson represents in this film: the worst aspects of patriarchy: cheating, lying, patronizing and total self-centredness. By contrast, Keanu/Julian appears a healing force: mending her self-esteem, stimulating her sexually and boosting her creativity + showing genuine interest in her (whereas at no point the Nicholson character seems sincere). That's why the end feels so wrong and anti-feminist: she chooses the guy who deceives, uses and hurts her over the guy empowering and fulfilling her. And just because of age???????? And all that written by a woman? I know it's supposed to be a light comedy (not something to ponder) but still the morality of it is entirely depressing to me.
ARYA
2011-08-01 12:09

You typed out an earful there mermaid. I tend to agree primarily as I am predisposed to detest old Jack in anything he does. His line "Shmucks are people too ya know" really fit him onscreen and off.
I never even felt that warm and fuzzy about Erika. She was so neurotic it was embarrassing to me. But, if that's what people want to see who am I to judge?
I read Reeves take on Julian. He saw him as a healer that did what was best for people. Even letting her go back to Jack was an act of compassion.

2011-08-02 05:47
[ Post deleted by poster ]
The Household Cat
2011-09-05 15:17

Forum Posts: 39
I decided to make a list of the characters rather than the films because I feel that a lot of Keanu's good performances also were in films that I thought were ok, but not that good... And anyway, the characters and the films coincide in most cases. If I liked the film, a lot of it was also due to the great characters.

1.) The Matrix Trilogy: as Neo Anderson
2.) Constantine: as John Constantine
3.) My Own Private Idaho: as Scott Favor
4.) A Scanner Darkly : as Bob Arctor
5.) Young Again: as Michael Riley
6.) Bill & Ted 1 and 2: as Ted Logan
7.) River's Edge: as Matt
8.) Johnny Mnemonic: as Johnny Mnemomnic
9.) Point Break: as Johnny Utah
10.) Thumbsucker: Perry Lyman OR Something's Gotta Give: as Julian Mercer

1.) I LOVE Neo. Nuff said. Keanu put so much work into this character and I cannot imagine anyone else who could have pulled Neo off as well as he did. I mean, that's the greatest compliment one can get. Who could have been a better Neo Anderson than Keanu himself?
As for the film(s)... I love the perfection of them. They're just so well-crafted, from the dialogues and monologues to the visuals. I have to admit, for the time the films had some very great technology. Even today, most visual effects seem too obvious, but in the Matrix films they just fit so well.

2.) Let's face it, John Constantine pretty much is an asshole. But more than that, he's very human in all his ways. His nicotine addiction is just one of many faults that he has. What's important though is that behind all that negativity there is a real human being who cares a lot of people who are close to him. Who is close to him? I cannot think of anyone but Angela, who John lets into his life and past his exterior that oozes coldness. Keanu was a brilliant choice.
The film itself was very beautiful. Again, I loved the visuals.

3.) Keanu's performance as Scott Favor was and still is very impressive. And the film alone might even be my favourite film that Keanu has been in. Or let's say it was one of the three characters he played that I liked best because I feel very different about the films in my top 3. I can't say it was my favourite. I think it is the most beautiful and saddest film Keanu has played in. I believe that hadn't I watched the Matrix films, I might never have watched this brilliant piece of art and I might never have seen how great River Phoenix was.

4.) Oh, A Scanner Darkly... I can still remember this... I think it was last February or March... I didn't really get the film and felt frustrated. I couldn't even process my feelings about the film, even though I like that kind of dystopian feel. I like books and films like 1984. Dystopian science-fiction. I love it. So, even though I didn't understand the film (also literally...) I liked it. The technology was pretty interesting, too. And confusing. Most of the time, you didn't know how to feel about this blend of animation and real life. I think it's also the last really interesting film Keanu has done. (Admittedly, I haven't watched Henry's Crime yet, but I guess it's not as challenging as this one here.)

5.) Young Again. Hilarious. You might understand why I want to keep this in my top 10. I loved Michael Riley. The plot was so cheesy and as predictable as any teenage film can get. I have watched this stuff as long as I can remember. But still, there is something very charming about Keanu's Michael Riley. He seems very naive, even so much that it is unrealistic. And the plot... Just thinking about it makes me cringe. Yet, every second that Keanu popped in I would get excited. It is very much like his bouncing 20-year-old self. Which I looooove.

6.) Ted. I LOOOOVE Ted. Ted is cute. Ted is real. Ted is a guy you'd like to meet in your free-time to play board games with. He might not be the brightest guy, but he lives for his best friend Bill. Their relationship is what makes these films so awesome. That moment in the Excellent Adventure when Bill thinks Ted is dead was almost heart-breaking. But then they hug each other and move on. They're optimistic. They love life, even though they don't understand all of it.

7.) River's Edge. I think it's the most recent I have watched. I really loved Matt in the film. It's a shame he didn't have that much screen time because it is one of Keanu's best performances. He's a slacker. He's got long hair and tries to get along. The death of one of his friends severely disturbs him. But there is not much he can do. After he reported the murder to the police, he gets very angry at the police station. It's a great conflict.

8.) Johnny Mnemonic. I think this film captures the essence of the 90s. Johnny doesn't seem very affected by his environment, but still he is a very troubled character. He has 24 hours to live until the data in his head will eventually kill him. The plot is strange and you don't really know what's going on. It drags on forever, but not in a bad way. One action moves into the other. It's almost like stream-of-consciousness in film.

9.) Point Break. I was surprised at the complexity of the film. I liked the overall film better than the character portrayal, if that makes sense. Johnny Utah seemed a bit flat. His actions didn't really fit in with his character. I didn't feel that Johnny did what he wanted. Johnny Utah seemed very alienated from his actions and that's perhaps the point of the film. He couldn't really let go and blend in with the gang, as he played the double role of an FBI agent and a good friend.

10.) I still cannot decide whether Perry Lyman would get this place or Julian Mercer. I would always go for Perry, as Thumbsucker was the better film (for me). Thumbsucker was a cute indie film dealing with the embarrassing trivialities and faults in every day life. Perry Lyman was just one of many characters who represent just that. Julian Mercer was very charming and that character inspired me to make up stories about "Dr Reeves" in a hospital series.
http://thehouseholdcat.tumblr.com/post/7160657291/connery-clooney-and-reeves Great fun.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.