WINM Forums :: Everything Else KCR :: blood disease ???

[1] 2

blood disease ???
Joke
2011-08-30 20:00

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1994_05xx_coo.htm

He was raised by his remarkable mother, moving to Australia, then the Upper West Side of New York City, only to settle in Toronto, where a technologically advanced children's hospital was able to cure young Keanu's rare blood disease.

Anyone heard of this before and/or know which disease this was ?

Anakin McFly
2011-08-30 21:20

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
This was brought up in some discussion before; can't remember what became of it. :\\
ARYA
2011-08-31 00:13

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
I never read another word about it anywhere else.
inkhuldra
2011-08-31 03:54

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
That's news to me, too. But it's supposedly something Our Man said himself, and the rest of the quotes seem like something he might have actually said.

Hmmm... :-/

Edit: Is my memory failing me (like it always does...) or did somebody mention somewhere some time ago that Keanu seems to wear too much clothing for the weather/temperature, because of something to do with his blood? That is, that he feels cold because of thin blood or something suchlike?

Chiara
2011-08-31 04:33

Forum Posts: 215
^^^ I doubt.I`m a doctor and I can`t think of such symptom in any of blood diseases.Feeling cold could be caused by circulation(blood vessels) disorder not by blood cells disease.
inkhuldra
2011-08-31 05:14

Ah, we have our own resident doctor. Brilliant. Every fansite needs one. LOL!

Here's a thought: could a person feel cold if there aren't enough red blood cells in the blood? That would decrease the blood's ability to transport oxygen, right? I don't know if it would cause a person to feel cold, though.

Chiara
2011-08-31 05:58

You`re right,low number of red blood cells would decrease blood`s ability to transport the oxygen but that would cause many other symptoms.A person could feel cold if there aren`t enough red blood cells, but only it their number is very,very low which would cause severe anemia. This is usually caused by losing blood.In that case a person would end up in hospital needing proper treatment.
ARYA
2011-08-31 09:12

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
He looks pretty healthy to me. When I saw him up close he looked thin but not unhealthy.
About the layers of clothes. I have a husband that is just the same. He used to wear layers even in summer! And he was not anemic. Or a biker.
Still baffled about that childhood blood disorder rumor. The writers sometimes get things wrong. Especially when trying to make him seem tragic...
I am always glad to have professionals who are into reeves. Thanks for sharing Chiara!
I also have the impression that he goes to dr's fairly regularly. At least I am hoping he does.
inkhuldra
2011-08-31 14:59

Chiara, the only reason I know about the symptoms of low red blood cells is because I have dogs, and there are various foodstuffs - such as onions - which are toxic to dogs (and cats, too).

Both onions and chocolate can cause something called Heinz-body hemolytic anemia, where the red blood cells walls become weak and then rupture. There's no actual loss of blood, but the dog will nevertheless show symptoms of anemia, including paleness, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, fatigue, and they feel cold.

However, I have never heard of humans suffering from this, and I don't think it's caused by anything except oral intake of certain foodstuffs or medicine.

What you said about blood circulation, though, might be a clue. People who smoke have decreased blood circulation, don't they? Especially to the arms and legs, amirite? One of my sisters smokes, and she often complains about how her hands and feet are cold.

gulbie
2011-08-31 16:01

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
I don't feel confident to say if this news is true or not, and if it's true what kind of blood desease could be.

we read a lot about keanu ( even thanks to the wonderful Ani's Archive) and we have never read anything about some "blood desease" but this article.

for me only one source is only one source, "almost nothing", maybe a clue, nothing more that, it's far to be a piece of evidence. clues ( like news) need verifications or other coherent clues to have consistence.

until proved otherwise, it's a story like others we have read in the last 25 years...

chocolate can cause something called Heinz-body hemolytic anemia, where the red blood cells walls become weak and then rupture

I knew the chocolate could be dangerous for dogs but I can't figure in this way...:O my Billy ( one of my dogs) has a sweet tooth :(

Chiara
2011-08-31 16:35

What you said about blood circulation, though, might be a clue. People who smoke have decreased blood circulation, don't they? Especially to the arms and legs

Smoking causes peripheral artery disease which means arteries become narrow and allow less blood to pass through.This problem can target many areas of body but mostly legs.So smoking could be explanation,but not necesseraly.There are people, like Arya mentioned, who just have different feeling of outside temperature.I`d like to believe this is Keanu`s case and he`s just fine.

gulbie
2011-08-31 16:39

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
yes, my uncle had this peripheral artery disease and it is caused by smoke...

I'm agree with Chiara and Arya about people with different feeling of temperature.

lindawn
2011-08-31 19:08

Forum Posts: 102
Comments: 14
I always got the impression he wears blazers all the time because he needs a pocket to carry those cigarettes.
Joke
2011-08-31 19:33

gulbie wrote : until proved otherwise, it's a story like others we have read in the last 25 years...

I guess that's the most logical explanation. I just wanted to know if people had heard of this before, since it was the first (and so far only) time I saw this mentioned.

Donna_J
2011-08-31 19:39

Forum Posts: 264
Comments: 3

I always got the impression he wears blazers all the time because he needs a pocket to carry those cigarettes.

Agree.
And about his warm cloth so unsuitable for the hot weather...I think he just doesn't want to take suntan, I mean city-suntan, when your face and arms change color and the rest remains white (it's not nice). Or staying in the sun is contraindicated for some people and he can be one of them.
LucaM
2011-08-31 23:59

Forum Posts: 4841
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Asked about his childhood, he assumes a tongue-in-cheek British accent, addressing himself in the third person. "Mr. Reeves", he announces, "was born in Beirut. His father left when he was two. He was raised by his remarkable mother, moving to Australia, then the Upper West Side of New York City, only to settle in Toronto, where a technologically advanced children's hospital was able to cure young Keanu's rare blood disease."

... or maybe he was just pulling the journalist's leg ? ;)

Joke
2011-09-01 00:47

... or maybe he was just pulling the journalist's leg ? ;)

That's definitely a possibility. He must be so bored with always answering the same questions about his childhood.

Chiara
2011-09-01 00:51

Hmmm...maybe my sense of humour isn`t twisted enough,but honestly I don`t understand why the one would make that kind of joke.And in case that was a joke,it would be interesting to know if Keanu said that before his sister has been diagnosed with leukemia...Luca, could you,please, tell us,when Keanu said that?
LucaM
2011-09-01 01:15

Forum Posts: 4841
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
That interview is from 1994 ( year and month are usually coded into the link; Ani's archiving system ;) )

But then there's this line from an interview published in the Vanity Fair edition of August 1995 : Twenty months ago, after more than eight years of fighting her illness, Kim went into remission.
Other articles mention that Kim was first diagnosed with leukemia in 2002, but then the above line doesn't make sense.

so... I don't know. extremely dark humor? wishing there were such a cure?

Chiara
2011-09-01 01:32

Thanks,Luca.I`m pretty sure I read somewhere she`s been diagnosed with leukemia in 1990.Never mind,obviosly we can`t find out the truth,so I give up...

[1] 2

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.