WINM Forums :: Introductions :: Hello

1 [2]

Hello
inkhuldra
2011-10-31 16:58

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Reviews: 0
Hi BlueGem, nice to see you pop up and say hello, proper or not. We're not too formal around here.

I haven't seen Henry's Crime yet, because I expect to be as "meh" about it as you are. I'm not too crazy about romantic flicks, so my favourite romantic Ke movie is the Lake House. I notice that it's the only romantic movie of his that you list as a fave, too.

LucaM
2011-10-31 20:49

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
ink - please do watch Henry's Crime. I dare say you'd like the dry humor. As for the romance... well... we'll talk after you watch the darned thing ;)

BlueGem
2011-11-01 12:06

Forum Posts: 184
Comments: 11
Thanks, everyone!

LucaM - yeah, that humor is dry alright, dry as the Sahara. I did giggle a bit here and there, but overall I just didn't think it was a very good film. It had potential, though. And I think Ke's performance was so subtle that most people won't "get" it at all. Jimmy Caan was awesome.

ink - I do actually love Ke's romantic films...but if you think about it, even his action films have romance...I think of Point Break and Speed as love stories that just happen to have a lot of cool action in them. Same with the Matrix films and Devil's Advocate and Feeling Minnesota...Oh, I forgot Sweet November in my original list. The more I watch it, the better I like it.

Geez. I wrote a dang novel here. I must not have enough to do! (You might surmise that I must be a writer, and not only that, maybe even an English professor. And you'd be right.)

Joke
2011-11-01 17:44

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
BlueGem, as an English professor, what do you think of Keanu's performance in Much Ado About Nothing ?
gulbie
2011-11-01 19:02

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
welcome on board to KekeLover and BlueGem. sorry I'm always late...
LucaM
2011-11-01 21:01

I did giggle a bit here and there, but overall I just didn't think it was a very good film. It had potential, though.

Almost the same here. I giggled through most of the film; love several scenes, such as (quoting from memory now) Max:'so you came here to ask me to help you rob the same bank you already went to jail for robbing?" Henry (large as life Keanu smile) Yes. Max: ... I missed you, Henry ; Peter Stormare teaching 'Henry' about acting, but especially Henry as Lopakhin going " the cherry orchard is mine, all mine", genuine tears in his voice; and the ending. that 'meet me in Moscow' ending.
But in the same time, the film lacks unity; don't know how to put this in words, but I have a feeling it's a typical case of 'too many cooks spoil the broth'. It's a pity; as you said, the film did have potential.

And I think Ke's performance was so subtle that most people won't "get" it at all.

yup. that. but I guess it was supposed to be that way. 'still waters' vs. Niagara Falls? just a thought ;)

inkhuldra
2011-11-02 00:42

@LucaM - even though I haven't seen HC yet, I get the impression from reviews and reports that it's like you say: it lacks unity.

I visualise that as a flight controller who has to send various cargo from one airport to another, and where the aircraft must depart and arrive at pretty much the same time. That's the same way that the various plots and sub-plots in a movie have to start and end when the movie starts and ends (or at least in a timely order).

Anyway, a movie gets confusing when important plots are sent in small Cessnas and propeller planes while sub-plots get sent in Boeing 787s and Airbuses, especially when they take off in a haphazard order and have to dodge each other in the air.

So: Keanu, get your nose out from between the pages of whatever book you're busy reading, and keep an eye on the *radar!*

;-)

BlueGem
2011-11-02 06:48

@ink, love the visual on that! And I totally agree. I taught a student a few years ago who had actually sold a screenplay and it was made into a film, and he said it was the hardest work he'd ever done - and barely recognized his own screenplay once it was on the screen! They'd make hash of it.

And then if the dang space shuttle decides to land in the middle of it all, there's serious trouble.

@LucaM - still waters, it is. There's so much beneath the surface of Lake Keanu. Although I am not sure why Henry and Julie were freezing their buns off at Niagara Falls, it's not exactly a place to hang out on a cold winter's night. And it was weird seeing it with no other people there - that place is NEVER empty except on purpose.

@Joke - I teach business and technical writing, not "lit-ra-ture," so I'm no expert on Shakespeare. Also, I barely recall seeing Much Ado when it came out lo those many years ago, and if you had asked me then about Keanu's performance, I would have said, "He was in that movie?"

Like I said, I'm working my way through his filmography using Netflix and haven't gotten to that one yet. I think Constantine is up next in my queue.

ARYA
2011-11-02 07:28

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
How lucky Blue Gem! The first time you watch one of his movies is very special. Enjoy the Constintinean trip! Watch past the credits for the final scene. And the commentary with the director is fun along with the extras.
LucaM
2011-11-02 08:26

@LucaM - still waters, it is. There's so much beneath the surface of Lake Keanu. Although I am not sure why Henry and Julie were freezing their buns off at Niagara Falls, it's not exactly a place to hang out on a cold winter's night.

... the fact that Julie chooses the spot for the walk. the dialogue of that scene(although two rather important lines were cut at editing), combined with the earlier conversation, during the dinner at the Chinese restaurant. Apparently it's Lake Henry and Niagara Falls Julie. And yet... things are not what they look like ;)

of course I'm reading too much into everything ;)

nafsunaek
2011-11-02 09:47

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
Hello and welcome, KeKe and BlueGem!
ARYA
2011-11-02 11:35

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
Funny that Henry did not want to take a hit on that joint. He wasn't even driving. I mean, if he can be a bank robber...hell he can smoke a little pot. Cracking myself up here. :)
inkhuldra
2011-11-02 15:08

And then if the dang space shuttle decides to land in the middle of it all, there's serious trouble.

And the hot air balloons. Don't forget the hot air balloons. The get sucked into the jet engines really easily. Makes such a mess.

BlueGem
2011-11-03 09:53

Oh, my, how could I have forgotten the hot air balloons? Silly me!

@arya - I had the same thought and chuckled, but really, Henry is a man slowly waking from a very long, very dull sleep life. Let's not expect too much of him! And thanks for the suggestions on Constantine - it arrives tomorrow, so probably Friday night or Saturday I will watch it. Netflix doesn't always include the extras, though. But if I like the film enough I will buy it.

LucaM - now you're making me want to watch HC again. Gah. I may have to acquire it.

ShadowSpark
2011-11-03 10:20

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33
Awaiting confirmation report on arrival of information packets sent to Programs: KeKe lover and BlueGem....

Standing by....

Standing by....

BlueGem
2011-11-03 11:52

Hey, Shadow, what kind of information packet am I receiving? and where am I looking for it?

Thanks.

Giladora
2011-11-04 08:52

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
as the thread is still warm , it wouldn't hurt if i say Hi to KeKe and BlueGem ..

@LucaM and @BlueGem :I agree with both of you on Henry's crime . has potential,lacks unity .

@BlueGem : you are receiving the packets in each post that "Shadow" sends here ..

"Cheat Code Enabled" : type down "Confirmed" :D

KeKe lover2011-11-04 08:56

Forum Posts: 28
Comments: 0
ShadowSpark-OOPS, packet received! Reporting for duty!!!

To everyone, thank you for the warm welcomes!

ShadowSpark
2011-11-06 15:42

Forum Posts: 541
Comments: 33

ShadowSpark-OOPS, packet received! Reporting for duty!!!

Confirmation of packet arrival acknowledged and logged.
Please report all results through proper channels.

End of line.

Hey, Shadow, what kind of information packet am I receiving? and where am I looking for it?

Error: My designation is User: Spark.

@BlueGem : you are receiving the packets in each post that "Shadow" sends here ..

"Cheat Code Enabled" : type down "Confirmed" :D

Error: Signal breakdown detected. Explanation of Command: "'Cheat Code Enabled: type down 'Confirmed'" requested...

Standing by....

Standing by....

Giladora
2011-11-14 09:37

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
haha.. i "ADMIT DEFEAT " spark !!!

confirming the ERROR :D

1 [2]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.