[1] 2

Recommendation on Japanese Literature
robin
2012-02-16 11:29

Forum Posts: 59
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
@Chiara,

I started writing in my introduction tread but figured I'd better move to the related topic since it was getting quite long .

I'm impressed how many Japanese writers you know!
As for me, oh boy, most of the books I've read since my kids were born are mainly parctical books such as " How to Stay Calm When Your Kids Are Disobedient" or "Tips on Low-Carb Diet "or something like that (these I just made up the titles), such a shame!

But then I guess there are books that any Japanese (even myself) would read in school.

Yasunari Kawabata- I have a feeling that you might have already tired his works, since he is a Nobel prize winner and is one of the most famous writers in Japan.
"The Izu Dancer", "The Snow Country" are famous. "The House of Sleeping Beauties" is good, there are movies based on this story and the latest one done in Hollywood I think was released a few monthes ago in Japan.
Short stories are also good, my favorite is "Palm of the Hand Stories (especally "Pomegranate", which is included in this collection is my absolte favorite)".

Soseki Natsume- You definitely find his works in any Japasese textbooks.
"Kokoro" is a must-read, if you haven't. "And Then" is also good.
Lighter theme would be "I Am a Cat", "Botchan", "Sanshiro".

Osamu Dazai- Well-known for his pesimistic point of view, people tend to say you either love or hate him. I kind of like him:)
Not highly recommended when you are depressed or disappointed with your life.
"No Longer Human", "The Setting Sun" are famous.

Ryunosuke Akutagawa- You also find his works in any Japanese textbooks. Written many short stories.
"Rashomon", "In the Woods" ( the Kurosawa movie "Rashomon" is based on these two stories combined), "The Hell Screen", "The Spider's Thread"

Jun'ichiou Tanizaki- "Naomi", "A Portrait of Shunkin", I think are easy to understand.
"The Makioka Sisters" is long and dull, no, I mean, challenging and subtle.

Now for the more recent writers......
Banana Yoshimoto- my literature professor in college used to make reference to her and Murakami often in her class, but actually I've never read her works, sorry.
"Kitchen" I think is the most famous.

Ryu Murakami, Eimi Yamada, Teru Miyamoto- simply fun to read, and good.

Even lighter novel writers there are a whole bunch of them, but I am not sure of their availability in English or in your native language, though.

Again sorry if you couldn't find some of the works I mentioned, or if you already knew about most of them(*_*;). If there are any specific writer or book you want to know about, feel free to ask me any time!

Chiara
2012-02-16 21:24

Forum Posts: 215
Comments: 1
Robin, thank you loads for being so kind and putting so much efforts to write such a detailed response.I`m sure there`s better things you could be doing with your time so that`s why I`m even more grateful to you.
I didn`t read anything of you mentioned above and I imediatelly checked out bookstores in my town to see if there`s anything available translated in my mother toungue. I was very happy with the result because I could find The Dancing girl of Izu, Beauty nad Sadness,The Snow country and Thousand Cranes by Kawabata,The setting Sun by Dazai, The hell screen by Akutagawa and In the miso soup by Ryu Murakami.That`s not bad at all, don`t you think?
So, I`ll start with those and if want more I`ll just order English editions.
Thank you once again. I`m very lucky to got to meet such a nice person as you are.
robin
2012-02-17 13:32

Chiara, No problem at all! I feel honoured that you are interested in the literature of my country even though I'm not the writer himself ;)
In fact I enjoyed remembering what I've read as a student.
So they even had In the Miso Soup, huh. This one's um, sort of a freaky story... hope you'll like it or any others.
You said you are from Eastern Europe, do you mind me asking which country? I once lived in Hungary for a few years when I was a child. Such a beautiful place, Europe!

I should have put the title simply as "Book Recommendation" that way any others can add more to the thread, but oh well.

Now I have so much to catch up on the Berlinale. I didn't get to watch it live, it was the busiest time of the day :<

Chiara
2012-02-17 18:09

I feel honoured that you are interested in the literature of my country even though I'm not the writer himself

How the one could not be interested in Japanese literature with such great writers and novels?
As a huge H.Murakami`s fan, I was very disappointed this year when he failed to be honoured by Nobel Prize which`s higly desereved in my humble oppinion.

You said you are from Eastern Europe, do you mind me asking which country? I once lived in Hungary for a few years when I was a child

Ohhh, you lived in Hungary!!!Well, I live in the neighbourhood,in Belgrade, Serbia.That`s ex Yugoslavia.If you want to come and visit Hungary someday again, you can slip a bit southern and meet me.It would be a great pleasure for me to guide you.

I agree with you,if anybody else want to leave their recommendations,that would be more than welcome.Maybe we should ask Ani to help us and change the title of the tread, if it`s possible.

robin
2012-02-20 12:29

So you live in Serbia! I think we've passed through Yugoslavia by car once while we were there.
You must have gone through a lot since we left Hungary. I have no idea what the impact of all the conflcts was in the place where you live.

I visited Hungary 8 years ago (wow I can't believe it's been that long already) but I don't mind visiting again one of these days:D

Chiara
2012-02-21 01:39

You must have gone through a lot since we left Hungary. I have no idea what the impact of all the conflcts was in the place where you live.

*sigh*Actually it was rough period,the living hell for all of us who lived in this area,we suffered a lot,but we got through.I`m sorry but I don`t think this is apropriate place to keep talking any further about this dull subject.Thank you for your interest though.

If you ever decide to visit Belgrade,we can meet and have a lunch or dinner.That would be great pleasure for me.

robin
2012-02-22 04:49

Sorry for reminding you of the painful past. I'm not in the position to say anything...
I am just thankful for Keanu for giving me the opportunity to meet you, and made me more conscious of the world around me.

And hey, you should come to Japan, too:)

Chiara
2012-02-22 15:04

You`re so kind, robin.
Of course, I might come to Japan too...just need to win the lottery or sth first..lol! but you never know...
In the meanwhile,I`ll keep reading Japanese books and use my imagination to take a virtual journey there..*sigh*
Chiara
2012-03-06 04:03

Osamu Dazai- people tend to say you either love or hate him. I kind of like him:)

Me too, robin.I`ve just finished The Setting Sun and I really enjoyed it.Thanks for introducing this novel.
robin
2012-03-06 10:12

Did you already?! I must confess, to tell you the truth I've never read this before... I'm glad you liked it. It is no doubt one of the most famous works of Dazai's, and if you liked it you might want to try No Longer Human as well someday :)

As for your favorite Murakami I think I've read most(many?) of his earlier works in my 20's. I'm not sure if I really understand what they are trying to say but I do admit that there are something fascinating about them. But still to be honest, I don't quite understand why his works gain so much sympathy from the people all over the world...do you? Most of his works are enigmatic and hard to decipher, I think. It's easier for people to just say "it doesn't make sence, he's just pretentiding to be complex", no?

Chiara
2012-03-07 01:29

I don't quite understand why his works gain so much sympathy from the people all over the world...do you? Most of his works are enigmatic and hard to decipher, I think. It's easier for people to just say "it doesn't make sence, he's just pretentiding to be complex", no?

Pretty much like Dazai, people either think Murakami`s (almost) God or either stay quite detached and don`t understand why all the fuss about him.I can`t say why Murakami`s work got so much sympathy all over the world, but I`ll try to convey my own thoughts.
There are novels which are realistic or they have just a few elements of fantasy like:Norwegian Wood(definitely my favorite)/Sputnik Sweetheart/South of the Border,West of the Sun/ After the Darkā€¦Those are quite straight,much easier to read and people usually like them more than others which are actually fables (my favorites are Kafka on the Shore,Wind-up Bird Chronicle and Dance,Dance,Dance) and that`s probably why people don`t understand them. I love Murakami`s writing style,I like his deep thoughts,I like the game he`s playing with the reader.Sometimes while reading, you`re not sure whether the described event really happened or it was just a dream. Murakami leaves you a choice, leaves you a decision and that`s how he envolves the reader.Very often I kept thinking of possible developments for many,many days after I finished reading the novel.Besides readers get emotionally envolved too, cause his characters are mostly very lonely,alienated,misunderstood so all that causes huge compassion and makes you to want to be there for them.Very often you recognize your own feelings.

Here`s the link where you can find a few Murakami`s quotes, if you read some of them, maybe you`ll understand better why millions of us worship his work.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/3354.Haruki_Murakami

robin
2012-03-08 12:04

Chiara, thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question.
I was never sure if I could call myself his fan; I've never bought his books myself but always borrowed from my husband who has been a big fan for like 20 years. But then considering the number of books I've read, I guess I do like him quite a lot lol.
Reading the quotes on the link you showed me I remembered what's behind his words could be universal, people could relate and think back regardless of their cultural or national? backgrownd.
Thanks again I had always been curious but I didn't know anybody to ask :)
Chiara
2012-03-09 02:30

Ohh, don`t mention it, robin,it`s my pleasure. HM is definitely one of my favorite subjects.You said you read a lots of his books and I`d like to know which one you and your husband liked the most.

You`re probably right about his quotes and if we talk about the quotes I`d like to add one of my favorites.I`m not sure where it is from, but I think it`s from A Wild Sheep Chase.Here it is:
"Body cells replace themselves every month.Even at this very moment.Most everything you think you know about me is nothing more than memories."

That`s such a truth.People change and after a few years ,the person you might think you knew simply wasn`t the same person anymore.

robin
2012-03-10 07:19

My favorite, hmm lets see... I think like you, the #1 would probablly be Norwigean Wood, which story is easier to make out than most of others. It was my first book I had ever read of his, too. I also like Hard-boiked Wonderland and the End of the World, I enjoyed it's style of two stories progressing alternately. Kafka on the Shore, I loved the atmosphere of that library...
I've never read Sputnik's Sweetheart, 1Q84, and for some reason I can't remember if I've read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Looking through the Amazon page I just realized that there are many compilaiton of short stories I've never read!

"Body cells replace themselves every month.Even at this very moment.Most everything you think you know about me is nothing more than memories."

True, I would also like to remeber this whenever I'm having a hard time making a break-through; there is no reason for me to stick with the old self if I'm reborning every month, right ;)
Chiara
2012-03-10 21:05

True, I would also like to remeber this whenever I'm having a hard time making a break-through; there is no reason for me to stick with the old self if I'm reborning every month, right

Of course,that could be great self-help stuff...

Chiara
2012-03-12 05:42

It`s been a year since a massive earthquake and tsunami and I`d like to share my deepest sympathies with all Japanese people who suffered from that terrible tragedy and to express my hope that such a disaster will never happen again.
robin
2012-03-13 04:57

Chiara, thank you for your sympathy. All day on the 12th there were special programs on TV about the desaster, many of which focused on each individual who had suffered from a loss of his or her family, and every story just broke my heart. My husband had been to the tsunami affected area as a volunteer last fall, and when he came back he said that he saw not much progress in the restoration, there was still a long way to go. I too hope this will never happen again, but Japan is the earth quake country and we just have to be prepared for anything possible happen, I guess.
Chiara
2012-03-13 06:19

when he came back he said that he saw not much progress in the restoration,

Recently I read an article which stated that aprox 100 000 people are still forced to live in evacuation shelters to this day .On the other side I read a story told by a woman who lived somewhere in affected area,nearby Fukushima Daichi.She said she had to travel far away from her home almost every day so she could get vegetables which she believed that wasn`t too much contaminated.She was extremely worried because she had no information how radiation will affect her little daughter,cause she heard children were especially sensitive.She said she`s going to advice her to not have her own children when the time comes.After reading this I `ve been overtaken with great wave of sadness,got literally on verge of tears wishing I could do sth for those poor people.

robin
2012-03-15 05:12

Yes, many of them are still forced to live in the temporary shelters, or move to the distant cities.

She said she had to travel far away from her home almost every day so she could get vegetables which she believed that wasn`t too much contaminated.

I totally understand it. I mean, her concern is beyond comparison but even I, living in Tokyo, am worried about the food I buy. People say to support the damaged area by buying their local food such as vegetables, meat or fish, and I don't mind eating them myself or my husband as long as they are proved by the government to be safe and are in the market( not that I really trust the government), but my kids, they are so young... You can never be sure what would happen to them later on.
We had another pretty big earth quake last night. It reminded me of what happened a year ago and scares to hell out of me. But then, is there any place on earth that is 100% safe? People die sooner or later. Maybe I'm thinking like this because I went to watch the movie Melancholia yesterday :/
Chiara
2012-03-16 03:55

People die sooner or later. Maybe I'm thinking like this because I went to watch the movie Melancholia yesterday :/

No. you`re just such a brave woman and I very much admire you for your attitude .Take care.

[1] 2

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.