WINM Forums :: Off-Topic Chat :: It can always get worse...

It can always get worse...
fractal2012-05-18 07:17

Forum Posts: 6
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
Posting here cos, even though it is a quote from the book, the repercussions got way out of hand.
(I think) I am not the kind of person who needs sorrow baths, or any kind of pampering. But... I am currently going through a kind of a personal rollercoaster, have been, actually, coping with it for the past 15 years. And it has taken its toll. It sometimes feels like there are two ME's - one who is functioning the way she is expected, covering all bases, supplying what is necessary, and then there's the other one, that is glued in a hole, trapped, suffocated, if you wish, because there are no resources left. Don't get me wrong, I am not shunning responsibilities, and not trying to escape from them. It is just that sometimes it gets a bit too much to bear.
I put that picture, from the book, with the black hole, on my desktop and it helps. It does help. Sometimes I laugh when I look at it; sometimes... it makes me reconsider the options I have.
What have your experiences been?
Anakin McFly
2012-05-18 23:23

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
@fractal: someone left you a reply here: http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/2012_0427_kea.htm

It sometimes feels like there are two ME's - one who is functioning the way she is expected, covering all bases, supplying what is necessary, and then there's the other one, that is glued in a hole, trapped, suffocated, if you wish, because there are no resources left.

i know exactly what you mean.

I just try to remember that any bad period won't last. 'This too will pass'. Whatever it is. And... ultimately I guess it doesn't matter. There are always people in far worse conditions than I am who still manage to be happy, and if they can be happy, then I figure that I can as well. As long as I can survive and continue existing, there can always be hope that things will get better, and they usually will, because that's how life works.

idontusuallydothis2012-05-18 23:45

Forum Posts: 1
Comments: 0
Everybody needs a little get-away. For me it's being out in nature...running water, rivers particularly...if I don't get that at least once a week, I definitely feel that black hole. A brisk walk at your local park will reinspire you and get those feel-good endorphins moving. Good luck...and thank you for all you do in maintaing this site. I just love coming here to daydream about Keanu...another little feel-good treasure. *heart*
fractal2012-05-21 06:11

Forum Posts: 6
Comments: 1
Thank you, Anakin; yes, I agree, it is very important to mainitain some sense of perspective. However, sometimes it is very difficult.

I am an atheist, and that is one of the things that helps me stay sane: I realise that whatever I do happens now and here, and there is no tomorrow, unless I let that tomorrow happen. But... oh well... :)
And thank you for being around!

P.S. My personal pickmeupper is The Cure, really.. and Deep Purple... and Rainbow... and Nightwish... and Rammstein ...

historical babe
2012-05-21 10:37

Forum Posts: 16
Comments: 2
I see a lot of myself in what you said, fractal. Thanks for showing your heart - it's really important for people to see each other's humanity including and especially in those dark places we all have in us whether we like to admit it or not. We all have some kind of struggle and while we can't get through it without the help and support of others, at its core each person's struggle is their own. I find that, when I feel paralyzed by grief, saying it could be worse, or comparing myself to others, while probably my most frequently chosen method, hasn't been a very effective one when it comes to lifting me up. Some of the happiest times I have had have been with homeless people, not because I was looking at them thinking "there but for the grace of god go I" but because there's no culturally-manufactured and ultimately arbitrary judgmental attitudes flying around in that environment. We're just people being there for each other, flaws and all. I'm still not very good at this, but I'm trying to be more accepting of myself. It's a fractured, discombobulated self, but it's me, for better or for worse, and the kinder I am to myself, the easier dealing with rollercoaster sessions, panics, and the urge to be in survival-mode becomes. I'd say be truly gentle to yourself in any way you can, and more answers will become clearer.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.