WINM Forums :: The Reeves Report :: 'Ode to Happiness' line honoured in Lyttle-Lytton Contest

'Ode to Happiness' line honoured in Lyttle-Lytton Contest
Anakin McFly
2012-06-25 01:36

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Lyttle Lytton is an annual contest for which people write and submit the worst possible opening sentence for a novel, in 25 words or less. From the end of the 2012 winning list:

As links to Lyttle Lytton were posted on various social networks over the course of the past year, I was interested to read that quite a few people initially found the contest mean-spirited, but changed their minds when they learned that the vast majority of entries are written for the contest and that the Found division is subordinate. This was quite a contrast to the guy who interviewed me for a BBC program, who didn't care for the original entries at all and was only interested in the "find and showcase bad professional writing" aspect. Which brings me to this year's winner of the Found division. When I saw this, I couldn't believe it, and sure enough, when I read up on it, it turned out to be tongue-in-cheek. For a moment I thought that should disqualify it for the Found division, since the author is in on the jokeā€¦ but then I thought, wait, what's wrong with that? The point of this contest isn't to make fun of anyone, but to find that sweet spot of "intentional unintentional comedy," and this certainly qualifies. So, the winner of this year's Found division:

"I draw a hot sorrow bath in my despair room."
- Keanu Reeves, Ode to Happiness
quoted by Katherine Morayati

http://adamcadre.ac/12lyttle.html

...also, that winning entry was mine. :|
which is making me ecstatically happy how the one year I finally win, Keanu gets a mention too. :')

nafsunaek
2012-06-25 03:22

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
Reviews: 0
Well, congratulations to the both of you!! :D
Sephonae
2012-06-26 10:41

Forum Posts: 160
Comments: 3
Bravo! :-)
LucaM
2012-06-26 19:48

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
dude, that's most excellent ! ;)

congrats to both of you ! ;) :D

Joke
2012-06-26 21:27

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Hmm, should we really congratulate someone for writing the worst possible opening sentence ?
Anakin McFly
2012-06-26 22:18

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
That contest gets loads of submissions every year. It takes effort and skill to be the worst of it all. :|

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.