WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: The Passengers moral dilemma

The Passengers moral dilemma
Anakin McFly
2013-10-28 23:52

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
By now you all probably know the basic premise of the upcoming movie - due to a malfunction, some guy named Jim wakes up 90 years early on a colonising spaceship, meaning that he would have to spend the rest of his life alone in space. In a fit of loneliness, he eventually decides to wake up this beautiful woman, Aurora, whom he's been gazing lovesick at for ages and had since fallen in love with, thus dooming her to the same fate.

Which is, well, all kinds of creepy and selfish and wrong. Mostly creepy. People have pointed out that it borders on rape, because there's a lot of manipulative dodginess going on in there; although to his credit, there's a point in the script where Jim implies that he accounted for the possibility that Aurora wouldn't fall in love with him, and he would have been disappointed but not push it. But it's two young people alone on a spaceship for the rest of their lives. If nothing else, desperation and loneliness would eventually get them together at some point, so who is he kidding.

But at the same time... what he did was probably an understandable action for anyone who isn't a saint. People frequently do worse in less terrible circumstances.

Later plot developments change things a bit, but I don't want to put spoilers here; plus they are, at the moment where he decided to wake her, irrelevant to the decision he made.

So:
- What Jim did: if someone did that to you, knowing their motives, how would you react? Would you ever be able to forgive them? For argument's sake, assume he or she is completely average looking and not, well, Keanuspawn. Plus they're evidently the kind of person who would do something like that to someone they claim to love, which doesn't speak too glowingly of their character.

- If you were in Jim's position, what would you have done? Lived out the 90 years alone? Killed yourself? Woken an attractive member of your preferred gender in the hopes that they'd eventually resign to being with you? (what if Keanu was in one of the pods.) Or woken up some other random person instead?

I'd have probably gone it alone, but that's just me, and not really due so much to the moral ramifications of waking anyone. I just like the idea of having an entire spaceship to myself. But after a few years... who knows.

MmeRenard
2013-10-29 01:55

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
I have quit counting the number of times that I found out about some film or character that Keanu was going to do and worried that I'd hate it - off the top of my mind, "The Gift" "Constantine" "Street Kings" - and then ended up being thoroghly delighted. In a world where I tend to trust little, I have gotten to the point that I really trust Keanu's choices to be interesting and thought-provoking.

Am I avoiding answering your questions? Yes. The best answer I cna give you is "I don't know. I hope I'd do the right thing." Do any of us really know? I also try pretty hard not to judge people other than cold-blooded sociopaths. Being all too human myself, it's tough to judge others for being human.

Really good questions. Thank you!

Lelou
2013-10-29 07:02

Forum Posts: 40
Comments: 2
Whoa, that is a tough one, Anakin.

If it weren't Keanu, but an average every man, I would probably hating on the guy for a long time. If he had an interesting side and would be mildly intelligent I think I would start a conversation and would calm down.

Being in Jim's position, that's also tough. I guess I would be content with speaking to Arthur firstly. Later, why not wake up more than one person and not concentrate on someone I have the feeling to love. If they want to kill me afterwards, that's okay with me.

I guess I'm a screwed person. ;-)

bluecandlelight
2013-10-29 07:25

Forum Posts: 93
Comments: 7
i guess i'd forgive Jim if he was an interesting person..

if you're stranded anywhere with just one person-you want that person to at least be likeable and pleasant

That would suck for Jim if he decided to wake some girl up thinking "She's gonna be great, we're going to fall in love" and then there's no chemistry, they don't get along..

if i were jim and i woke up a girl thinking we'd get along for the next 90 years and i couldn't stand her after the first few days, i'd knock her out with a fire extinguisher or something and spend the rest of the next 90 years alone. :D

Anakin McFly
2013-10-29 12:26

ADMIN

Thanks for your answers!

Do any of us really know?

yep. Sometimes we react differently in the midst of a crisis than we otherwise would.

I guess I would be content with speaking to Arthur firstly.

! Oh yes, I forgot about Arthur. Which is weird, because he's my favourite character on that ship. >_> I would totally be friends with Arthur. :D

I'd also thought of the option of waking multiple people, but given that it's already a pretty horrible thing to do to one person, doing it to more than one person doesn't seem like a better choice. Plus, having a whole bunch of people who hate you... not fun. :|

i'd knock her out with a fire extinguisher or something and spend the rest of the next 90 years alone. :D

D:
...or a phonebook. Learn from Ludlow :|

bluecandlelight
2013-10-29 19:49

i just don't know what Jim was thinking..i'm more fascinated at the concept of what happens after he wakes her up

it kinda speaks to the level of: is it better being alone or better to be with someone who may or may not be good for you?

because i'm assuming he woke up aurora specifically hoping that if the very least, she'd be nice company...but what if they despised each others guts?

it's not like they can get away from each other unless they try to speed the ship to it's destination...What'd be the point of working together with someone you don't like? Was that going through Jim's mind?

is that part of the script's message?

bluecandlelight
2013-10-29 22:30

and yes i'd wake up keanu. i don't even care if my instincts were against it, i'd do it anyway. if i'm going to be stuck on a damn ship it should be with him :D

i'd tell him how beautiful his eyes are all day lol.

Anakin McFly
2013-10-29 23:55

ADMIN

it kinda speaks to the level of: is it better being alone or better to be with someone who may or may not be good for you?

That's kind of a self-centred view though; it seems it would be more along the lines of: is it worth risking someone else's happiness for a chance at your own?

bluecandlelight
2013-10-30 00:18

Was Jim's decision self centered though? Or at least selfish?

And why would being awake with a female be what makes him happy? Can't he just be a loner?

Anakin McFly
2013-10-30 01:03

ADMIN

Yeah, I think it was selfish, although in the script it was something he struggled for a long time over precisely because of that. He resisted it for over a year, but finally gave in out of desperate loneliness.

Wait, just to check - have you read the script?

2013-10-30 02:03
[ Post deleted by poster ]
anita7722013-10-30 07:52

Forum Posts: 143
Comments: 6
I haven't read the script. From the synopsis, it seems kind of selfish, but if it were me, I could see waking someone up. Otherwise, you could go insane from the lonliness.
Anakin McFly
2013-10-30 13:12

ADMIN

ARYA! NO SPOILERS.
ARYA
2013-10-30 16:35

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
What spoiler do you speak of Anakin McFly? ;)

Could it be in the script I read at this site? hmmmmm?

I only read that EARLY DRAFT as I was bedridden and at that time I knew I would not read any more of the scripts, for Keanu's movies, since it tended to get me too invested in them too early. Thank goodness this movie is turning out to be a go.

Continue on with your speculation of moral drama/dilemma.

ARYA
2013-10-30 16:41

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11

i'd tell him how beautiful his eyes are all day lol.

This would be my first tendency too...

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.