WINM Forums :: Introductions :: Where have I been all his life?

Where have I been all his life?
allhailkingjack
2014-06-11 06:56

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
Reviews: 0
I was 18 when Speed came out so there's really no excuse for such a tardy discovery (I'm thinking maybe the pretty blinded me to the talent), but I cannot stop watching Constantine and thinking I might've been wrong about Keanu's acting for a long time. This was confirmed when I recently rewatched The Lake House. That plus the grace with which he treats people and handles tragedy have led me to obsessive Googling and Youtube-scouring for clips from his movies. And damn if I'm not just a little in love with him now. Looking forward to learning more about him and his work and discussing his many merits.
LucaM
2014-06-11 16:05

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
well, better late than never, they say ;)

careful, though. it's a slippery slope...
but it's fun ! ;)

Anakin McFly
2014-06-11 23:06

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
Welcome! :D

Jack Traven is a king now? Or is that some other Jack whom we're all supposed to hail?

allhailkingjack
2014-06-12 03:37

It originally paid homage to the great Jack Bristow from Alias, but at your not-so-subtle behest I now cheerfully repurpose it for our favorite bomb squad expert.

Btw, I'm the anon who stalked your Tumblr. Thanks for humoring me.

Joke
2014-06-12 03:57

Forum Posts: 380
Comments: 1
Welcome.

What Keanu movies have you already seen?

I think there might be some treats in store for you.

allhailkingjack
2014-06-12 05:35

Have seen Speed, Devil's Advocate, the Matrix trilogy, Replacements, Lake House, Much Ado, and Constantine, that I can remember. I've also seen The Gift but I don't really remember him in it.

I've liked so many of his movies over the years and never really noticed his acting. He was just kind of there, looking pretty. Then I started paying closer attention to Constantine, having been repeatedly drawn back to it, and I realized - maybe this makes me a former fish - that the main reason I liked it was him and how he played the character. Same thing happened when I took another look at Lake House. He did some very good, subtle, introspective work in that movie. So now I'm reexamining everything else he's done. Recs welcome if you have 'em.

lindawn
2014-06-12 06:06

Forum Posts: 102
Welcome. You have only touched the tip of the iceberg. I recommend you go way back. River's Edge Permanent Record, Prince of Pennsylvania, My Own Private Idaho are favorites of mine. Not to mention,how have you got this far in life and never seen Bill and Ted?
allhailkingjack
2014-06-12 07:00

how have you got this far in life and never seen Bill and Ted?

Because I inevitably regret watching stoner/slacker/stupid humor movies - Wayne's World and Dumb & Dumber being two good examples. It's not a bash against Keanu's acting in B & T, it's just my general distaste for the genre.

Ugh. I swear I am nowhere near as highbrow in real life as I sound in this post.

Anakin McFly
2014-06-12 13:09

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
I haven't seen Wayne's World so I can't comment on that, but Bill & Ted is definitely nothing like Dumb & Dumber, or the typical stoner/slacker/stupid movie. Its humour is surprisingly intelligent, actually (which is one of the reasons it works so well, juxtaposed against the sheer absurdity of everything else), and it's got a heart to it that those kinds of movies tend to lack.
axie
2014-07-06 23:34

Forum Posts: 345
Comments: 10
Oh there is a sweet spot in my heart for the B/T movies. First reason I watched it many, many years ago had to do with George Carlin as Rufus. It was his first movie if I recall but his stand up comedy has a timelessness to it. Everything he has said since Vietnam is still true today. RIP dear Carlin.
Second, my eldest burned me out on those movies so badly that one day I took the tape from the VCR after it's 1000 replay by him and tossed it out the back door.
That's about 20 years ago?
Just watched the original one with my daughter who is 11 now and a huge Doctor Who fan [the 10th and 11th in particular] At first she thought, oh no they aren't trying to be like DW are they? I explained a bit and she understood the concept of an homage. It was great fun seeing her love the movie and comment that for such an 'old' movie to have such great graphics that didn't look cheesy.
allhailkingjack
2014-07-07 18:57

axie, I'll check them out. I keep finding so much to like in his work that I've made it a goal to see and hopefully own every one of his movies. I'm a little more than halfway through 47 Ronin and, as more than one of you assured me, am really liking it so far. I look forward to making similar discoveries with his other work.

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.