WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: My Own Private Idaho.

1 [2] 3 4

My Own Private Idaho.
MJ2011-03-19 05:29

Forum Posts: 20
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
thanks for the excerpts Gulbie! I'm a great fan of MOPI. It's great to see actors at work. River left us too soon!
ARYA
2011-06-14 00:49

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
http://youtu.be/mCaJel-1rzM

http://youtu.be/mCaJel-1rzM

Giladora
2011-06-15 05:41

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 22
thanks for the link ARYA .

I watched this movie more than 5-6 times and not just because of Keanu . but yeah having Keanu in it, is a Bonus :) .. he's really good in this movie and DAMN they cut the scene which includes one of Keanu's most impressive actings of ALL TIME .. DUH.. that scene is priceless and so is keanu.

and Gosh River's acting talent is so overwhelming, he's a genius ..Okay i dont wanna rant about this movie :D

and I can watch "endless Idaho" endlessly ..

ARYA
2011-08-11 07:52

http://youtu.be/smAaEN-DdkA

http://youtu.be/smAaEN-DdkA

Has everyone seen this already? I musta missed it cuz there is no mention of reeves.

gulbie
2011-08-11 15:56

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
I've never seen before this video. Thank You, ARYA! :)
ARYA
2011-08-11 23:21

You are welcome gulbie. It's rare to find something new of the keanu kind.
The Household Cat
2011-09-05 14:18

Forum Posts: 39
Comments: 0
I like "slow moving" because that's exactly what the film is about and what makes the film so depressing. The last time I watched it, it was ok, not as heart-breaking as the first time. It is very sad, similar to the sadness in "Into The Wild".

I definitely think it is one of Keanu's best performances, maybe even his best (of course, that would be my subjective rating, so I should rather say "my favourite performance). Just the fact that Scott Favor gets me angry every time I watch the film should be proof enough.

@ Br0nz18: Yeah, that's exactly my problem with Scott Favor, too. He is very self-serving, opportunistic through and through. Actually, I liked the ambiguity in John Constantine's character better, which is why I would only say it is one of Keanu's best performances. Aw, man, he and River Phoenix worked so well together. :(

I definitely need to watch "Mala Noche" and "Drugstore Cowboy". *note to self*

@ lindawn: I definitely agree. I think all good films have terrible descriptions on the back cover. I try to avoid reading them. XD I couldn't express my feelings about the film any better than you did.

inkhuldra
2011-09-05 14:58

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
MOPI is one of the KR movies I like the most and the least at the same time. It's a great film, but too bleak and sad for me to want to watch over and over. I prefer the bleakness of Feeling Minnesota, because at least it ends with a glimmer of hope that Jjacks and Freddie might have a future together.

Dammit, now I'm going to have to watch MOPI again. It's all your fault, folks! I put the blame squarely on you!

The Household Cat
2011-09-05 21:15

Forum Posts: 39
Yeah, it's definitely not a film you can watch too often. But everytime I do I feel overwhelmed.

^^ I'm sorry that you want to watch it again now.

Joke
2011-09-20 00:49

Forum Posts: 380
ELLE interview with Gus van Sant : http://www.fashiondesignmags.com/364/it%E2%80%99s-all-about-the-environment-for-gus-van-sant/.

ELLE: Touching on your earlier films for a moment, what was most memorable about the experience of shooting My Own Private Idaho?
GVS: I mostly remember that it was six weeks of shooting in Portland weather. And River and Keanu were really great. Such very good actors, so it was fun and funny because they were constantly getting into whatever the characters were. River was based on a real character so he was able to dig in and really get into his character. Keanu was based on a Shakespearean character, so he was more questioning because, it was like, how does a Shakespearean character actually fit into the modern day street? But hed had experience with Shakespeare, so he had a way to do it. River didnt have any Shakespeare associated with his character, so he didnt have to worry about it. Which he was glad about.

Joke
2011-09-24 15:11

Forum Posts: 380
J.Franco recuts "My Own Private Idaho" Watch a clip of River Phoenix & Keanu Reeves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuY4gI4ojp8

Giladora
2011-09-26 07:47

Gosh !! thanks for the link Joke !!

gulbie
2011-09-26 17:45

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17
...and Keanu talks in italian... :) :) :)
Chiara
2011-09-27 16:29

Forum Posts: 215
I`m very fond of this film.I think that`s one of his best works and the table scene is one of my favourites in the film.Thanks for the link, Joke.It`s great to see it from different angle.
ARYA
2011-10-01 09:11

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/blogs/film/2011-09-28/old-news-my-own-private-idaho/#

http://www.interviewmagazine.com/blogs/film/2011-09-28/old-news-my-own-private-idaho/#

maria89
2011-10-01 15:01

Forum Posts: 36
i really liked that interview.. great pictures! amazing movie
koala2011-10-06 18:24

Forum Posts: 27
I remember I hoped Scott would accept and protect Mike when watching the movie. River was so good and he simply drew me in. Scott the character is the lucky bustard. If it was not for Keanu, I might end up disliking Scott a lot.
maria89
2011-10-06 21:33

Forum Posts: 36

Scott the character is the lucky bustard

i totally agree with you koala.
i think that Scott is the rich kid that rebels against his family but not in the ordinary way rich kids do. They usually use their parents money to get wasted but they always end up in their parents house at the end of the night. Scott left his family and lived on his own.
The one thing that i didn't really like(and that's what makes him a bastard in my eyes) is that he set a time limit. He kept saying that he is going back to his family when he turns 21 and gets the money.
LucaM
2011-10-06 22:11

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
well, I DO dislike Scott, but I guess that was the very idea of the film...
Unlike the other kids, Scott didn't need to hustle for a living. He had all the comfort of a rich home. But he did not want to comply with his father's rules; and decided to leave home until he will get what was rightfully his. And if by selling his body on the street he could shame and hurt his father, the better.
The way I see it, for Scott the whole thing was a self-imposed holiday in the gutters. While for Mike it was the only life he ever knew.

There's also the 'Prince Hal' aspect of Scott, but must admit I haven't read the Shakespeare plays related to the film, so couldn't talk about that.

Giladora
2011-10-07 13:09

Scott hated his father and he rebelled against him , to get his revenge . YES , he wants the money when he turns 21 , and I see it as another revenge , that he put up with his father all those years , and he wont go away till he gets his money too ( take over his father's throne). I think he was really committed to his revenge plan .. which it seems to me its a rebel against the Rules , and his father is a plain symbol of it . and Scott marrying a village Girl , is another rebel against it , even more Harsh that what he was doing before .

Bob in another hand , has his own throne , the example of the future of those kids , which has his own Rules .

Gus Van Sant , put a hint in last scene of the grave yard's sequence . freshwater fishes , struggling , going up to the stream , against the water , to make it to the sea ( an ideal life , freedom of a man's soul ) . which in my opinion , shows that both Mike and Scott are trapped , in their social class anyway . while they are both don't quit fit in .

but I See Mike , as the last link of love/ pure and true emotions , who is paralyzed(another symbol) , he belongs to a certain road ,the road that suppose to end somewhere , to end in the station of ideal purity and true love , and that's why Scott loves him ,take care of him , and follow/accompany him to Mike's search for the age of innocence , which is blurry , but at-least he remembers some part of it .. but the road seems to have no end .... a never ending search of a 20th century 's human for a blurry idea .

Scott , seems to be more idealistic in words , and he soon gives up to the reality in his own way , but Mike is the one who truly believe in his vision of his mother/purity/ideal love .

i guess I'm going off-topic now .hehe.. so i stop it here .

1 [2] 3 4

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.