WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: Top Ten Keanu Films

[1] 2

Top Ten Keanu Films
inkhuldra
2010-09-30 04:47

Forum Posts: 1364
Comments: 153
Reviews: 0
I could never make a top ten list of Keanu's movies, because my favourites change with my mood. I can't even pick one favourite. I'd never bother to even think about trying.

But somebody did, and here's the result. Amazingly, Johnny Mnemonic is #4. Constantine is two steps further down, at #6. Hmmm...

Any thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

http://www.popten.net/2010/09/top-ten-keanu-reeves-films/

TheTangerine
2010-09-30 06:01

Forum Posts: 385
Comments: 33
Reviews: 2
Speed and Constantine need to be higher.

I didn't finish Johnny Mnemonic. *groans at the thought*

nafsunaek
2010-09-30 06:16

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
I miss a few... and I'd probably change the order...
Why does it have to be just ten?
AdriannaM.
2010-09-30 07:09

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
Constantine under Johnny Mnemonic? These people give me migraines :D
TheTangerine
2010-09-30 07:55

*agrees strongly with Adrianna*

I would put Matrix as the best, Bill and Ted or Constantine as second. Johnny Mnemonic and Point Break as LAST.

Devil's Advocate can hang somewhere in the middle.

lindawn
2010-09-30 08:38

Forum Posts: 102
Comments: 14
I agree with Ink on this one. Completely impossible to pick a top ten. Absolutely changes with my mood any particular day. Today I'll say Speed is my fav but it will change tomorrow:)

I can name my least favorites:
Brotherhood of Justice: I thought Keanu was miscast and boy does he wear some God awful clothes in it!
Babes in Toyland: Just plain old rubbish. But at least Keanu was charming and cute as hell!

Any other thoughts on least favorites?

BTW: just ordered Freaked from Amazon.com, should be coming soon. I can't wait to see it again. I've only seen that one once before. My collection is getting very close to complete. I think I only lack 5 Keanu films.

inkhuldra
2010-10-01 01:47

Least favourite: definitely Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. *pain*
Donna_J
2010-10-01 01:52

Forum Posts: 264
Comments: 3
Hi, everybody! As for me my favourite is surely The Matrix.Maybe you will be surprised but I would name Scanner darkly as the second.This film is very real and He is very real in it.when one refuses to confess his addiction this is the worst thing that can happen in such situation!I know because in this way I lost somebody very close a few years ago.Love this film!
Back to films! The third is Constantine,Devil's Advocate, Feeling Minnesota(it seems nobody likes it except of me),River's edge,Street Kings,The Gift, Johnny Mnemonic.
Recently saw Permanent record.Keanu was the only living charecter in it.
inkhuldra
2010-10-01 02:25

I, too, kinda like Feeling Minnesota. I think one of the reasons for its lack of likeability is that it's so bleak. It's that bleakness, and the mindless disregard of human value and dignity in some of the characters, that stops me from wanting to watch it again. I saw it twice, and I've been meaning to watch it again. But I never quite find the right mood for it.

I don't really care much for the romantic movies Keanu has made. I liked The Lake House, but then I really love the idea of time displacement and all that. I don't really care all that much for his period movies either, except for Much Ado About Nothing, which I really love.

I keep returning to Constantine. Love that movie. The Matrix too, but I get totally exhausted watching it.

I need to watch Prince of Pennsylvania again soon. I think that's my favourite of his earlier movies.

BILL & TED 1&2! Oh, keep forgetting those. He was a true comedian, and I MISS him being all-out funny. I wonder if he would've done more comedy if he wasn't afraid of getting typecast because of Ted and the "whoa!".

Donna_J
2010-10-01 03:27

How could I forget about Much Ado About Nothig, Bill and Ted's 1-2!?.Looks like we'll do Top Ten#2,then #3 and on.Let's say the film is good already when we see his name in the titles.
TheTangerine
2010-10-01 03:39

yea *agrees with ink and lindawn* you can't actually name a top then. There's so many I like.

Oh yea, and I don't know about you guys, but I really like Sweet November. It's really touching. :)

LucaM
2010-10-01 04:09

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
hey, I like Feeling Minnesota too. For its - ink found the right word, bleakness. And for its special kind of humor.
Prince of Pennsylvania is my favorite of his early movies, too. And also The Night Before.
Totally loved A Scanner Darkly. I mentioned before that it was one of the three movies that made me cry. I blame K for it. And Linklater.
I like Sweet November too. Even after reading that K's tears in the final scene were computer generated :D

Personally, I'd make a top of Keanu movies and another one of Keanu performances, and the last one would definitely include Constantine and Street Kings, although the movies had their flaws. But like most of you said the ranking would always change depending on my mood so... better not make any tops, lists, whatever.

And did I mention I watched Constantine four times in 24 hours ? yep.

Donna_J
2010-10-01 04:12

Sweet November is good enough, but just imagine there some other actor and it becomes boring after 40min. watching(IMHO).
The Household Cat
2011-09-05 21:36

Forum Posts: 39
Comments: 0
Speed on #8? Really? ^^

Ah, The Devil's Advocate. I really need to finally watch this film. It seems pretty good from what I have seen.

It's funny that Johnny Mnemonic is so high on the list. It got really bad reviews at the time, so it being on the list at all comes as a bit of a surprise to me.

And Bill and Ted over The Matrix and Constantine... Don't agree with that.

The list is pretty weird, it seems almost random. ^^ But maybe that's just me.

@LucaM: That's even more insane than watching the whole Matrix trilogy until 7 in the morning. (It was a pretty trippy experience, but I actually just wanted to finish it. I'm not a fan of cliffhangers. ^^)

Yeah, it's weird that A Scanner Darkly wasn't on the list at all. It seemed like one of the most prestiguos films he was in, but it's not good for a greater audience. I guess it's too experimental for that. I didn't cry though. I was too confused. XD I was too busy figuring out what was going on. Very frustrating. I hate when films do that to me. But yeah, it was definitely one of the moodier and gloomier films he was in.

Computer generated tears? XD Hilarious.

LucaM
2011-09-05 21:52

@Household Cat - I used to do 'Matrix marathons' a few years ago. During weekend nights. Started with the first movie Friday evening, then Animatrix, then Reloaded, then Revolutions... yeah, finished around 7 a.m. the next day.
And that went on for several months :|
Haven't done this for quite some time, though. Hmmm... ;)

re. Scanner Darkly : I knew the story before; read the novel several times before watching the film. And yet, seeing it on screen, in someone else's images, left quite a powerful impression on me... it was just too effin' sad.

Computer generated tears? XD Hilarious.

yeah... http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/2003_0511_eff.htm
The Household Cat
2011-09-06 07:31

Thanks for the link to the article. I can imagine that it must be really weird for the actors that on top of everything else a lot of the scenes are modified or created by computers. It's always pretty difficult to imagine what it must feel like.

Matrix marathons. ^^ That's quite tough, especially if you do it quite often.

So would you describe you as an avid fan of Philip K. Dick?

LucaM
2011-09-06 17:21

avid fan? don't think so; not really... But I've read almost everything he wrote; he's not the best writer out there, in terms of writing style and all that. But his ideas... that's something else. His colonies on Mars were in fact incursions in one's subconscious... he tried to deal with his fears, doubts and disbeliefs in sci-fi terms... He was a prophet; a visionary. At least in my opinion.
PKD and William Gibson are my favorite sci-fi writers. Neal Stephenson is coming close. Loved his Baroque Cycle.

And Kurt Vonnegut... his books are just... something else :)
But he's not exactly sci-fi ;)

The Household Cat
2011-09-07 07:03

Ah, ok. It's more like a fascination with his work then?
LucaM
2011-09-08 04:46

yes, guess that would be the right word for it :)
AdriannaM.
2011-09-08 09:01

Forum Posts: 424
Comments: 24
Reviews: 1
This list is subject to change, but I can list only from what I've seen so far. A new list is pending - I'm trying to make time to watch so many others, sometimes it feels like there just aren't enough hours in a day, ya know. . . Anyway . . .

1. Constantine
2. The Matrix
3. The Devil's Advocate
4. The Day the Earth Stood Still
5. Dracula
6. The Matrix Reloaded
7. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
8. Henry's Crime
9. Speed
10. Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

I have a feeling my number 1 will never change, lol

[1] 2

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.