WINM Forums :: News & Announcements :: NOTE ON LIBEL

NOTE ON LIBEL
Anakin McFly
2012-03-03 13:06

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1
I'm against the practice of censorship and believe in letting everyone freely express themselves on this site.

HOWEVER, as per the site rules, be respectful at all times, both towards Mr. Reeves and his fans. I don't care if you hate his guts or think he's the most horrible person in the world. You're entitled to your opinion. You're even entitled to share that opinion, as long as you do so in a civil manner, and in a form that is open for discussion.

If you're just here to spread hate and bitterness and make people angry, please take it somewhere else.

These two comments:
http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1991_06xx_isi.htm#comments

http://www.whoaisnotme.net/articles/1991_0806_pau.htm#comments

are neither civil nor respectful in the least. They are outright libelous, especially given your lack of any evidence or proof whatsoever. I won't delete them, because that would suggest that I or Keanu have something to hide. I am however curious to know what would drive someone to leave comments like that.

What's your motive, apart from insulting Keanu and insulting his fans under your concern!trolling persona? What do you expect us to do? "Oh, hey, a completely anonymous person left a bunch of terrible, terribly-worded accusations against Keanu. I guess this means I'll stop being a fan now and throw all his movies away."

?

On my part, I'm a fan of Keanu not just because of his acting but because he's shown himself to be a person of amazing character and integrity in the way he lives his life and treats others. Many who have met him say the same. Those accusations go against a far wider body of claims to the contrary.

This isn't the first time it's happened, I strongly suspect it's the same person, and some of those rumours directly contradict each other.

If you're a troll, your comments are not welcome here.
If you're not a troll, genuinely believe what you say, and genuinely care about us poor misguided sheeple being duped into becoming fans of some total degenerate, GET AN ACCOUNT and start a proper discussion on the forums.

Thank you.

Chiara
2012-03-03 16:44

Forum Posts: 215
Comments: 1
Reviews: 0
I see those comments as desperate person`s plea for attention and importance,so the best way is to ignore them.
gulbie
2012-03-03 19:34

Forum Posts: 261
Comments: 17

it can constitute libel.

yes, it seriously can!

Most of us, ladies or otherwise, have no intention to meet Keanu and are satisfied enjoying his work and what we know of his public image

yes,you're right!
I'm satisfied talking about him, and enjoying with other fans. they ( most of them) are sensitive and smart. sometime I think I connect here for you all and not for keanu.

I wonder which purpose the guest has for writing here these comments: desperation's plea for attention , as Chiara said, or simple pleasure to dirty a public person, or something else? if the guest supposed we change our mind after its comment the guest is ingenuous, we are not so gullible as the people think.
we need proofs, facts and source, the fandom is similar to an investigation or a trial.

no proofs? no case.

we have to ingnore them.

LucaM
2012-03-03 20:27

Forum Posts: 4841
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
... call me paranoid, but this seems to be part of a bigger game played mostly on Topix and Ugossip.

don't take the bait but do keep an eye on the 'guest'. :(

it's someone who gets their kicks from upsetting the fans.
btw, Ani, can you see the IP of the 'guest'? just askin'...

Anakin McFly
2012-03-03 21:38

ADMIN

sometime I think I connect here for you all and not for keanu.

same. <3

To quote LucaM from a thread on this in 2008:
"I'm the fan of that actor that could actually BE Neo , Bob Arctor, Tom Ludlow .... I love the way he plays with his characters, the undertones he gives them... love the quiet and powerful intensity that lurks in the background of all his characters...
what's real about that ?
the movies. the characters. only that.

as for the person hiding inside the Mickey Mouse suit.... I don't know anything about him.
but I'll always remember the reaction of Keanu Reeves the actor when he received the Saturn Honorary Award... THAT was real. I guess...

and nothing the media would 'reveal' could alter the way I look at his characters, the way I enjoy his movies. "

As well as the responses here: http://z15.invisionfree.com/WINM_Forums/index.php?showtopic=189

...those old forums are making me nostalgic. >_>

can you see the IP of the 'guest'?

Nope, can't see IPs. There might be a way to enable them, but I'm not sure how to at the moment.

but this seems to be part of a bigger game played mostly on Topix and Ugossip.

What game? :\\
Do they have a similar writing style?

LucaM
2012-03-03 22:07

writing style - not all of them. so it's either two people posting as multiple posters... or one very sick poster.

I guess the game is about annoying and poking the fans.
to quote a poster from Topix " I read this board because it's incredibly entertaining. It is strange that a board dedicated to a star in mid-career eclipse who hasn't had a real hit in years is much more lively than boards dedicated to much more popular male stars (Pitt, Clooney, Depp, and all the up and comers like Bradley Cooper, etc.) I've said elsewhere and I do believe that Reeves isn't in the 'toilet'- but he's not at the top of his game either. I don't think he is a current A-list actor.

That was an interesting observation, got to admit. But my explanation is simply that Reeves has a hard core of crazed fans that the others don't. Part of his appeal is that he's persecuted and dissed by the critics, so his fans are very protective. You don't have websites "defending" Pitt. I don't think. I haven't researched it.

But Keanu's fans seem to think they are his soul sisters. They are very fierce. Someone on CDAN was very funny about Keanu's fans - old maids with cats and pitchforks, if memory serves. "
http://www.topix.com/forum/who/keanu-reeves/TBFQ39F6L08DLBL8P/p5#c95

Keanu's fans are quite rabid. For example I expect someone will scream bloody murder at me for saying that Clooney is a bigger star than Keanu.

I come here to play around and have fun. I've said things I don't really believe in, or believed in for about 5 minutes. It means nothing to me. It costs me nothing to play around with some ideas on this board. I just use it as a stress buster from law school.

But Keanu's fans are very passionate. I've said it before and I'll say it again: he is their god. Keanu is their religion.

It's fun to see what happens on a forum where Keanu's fans aren't in control, such as Crazy Days and Nights. Contributors there have seen Keanu drunk, stoned, and stinking (usually in his home town, Hollywood) and they aren't shy about saying so. The mean girls don't control those boards. But I guess I like to be in the opposition so I come here.

[...]

Keanu's coven is very passionate. They are passionate about a fantasy. The real man would be such a disappointment.

http://www.topix.com/forum/who/keanu-reeves/TBFQ39F6L08DLBL8P/p3#c59

in another thread "Keanu's fans are nuts. They are very passionate. That is why his Topix board is so lively. "

another bait post was this "About people forcing things on Keanu, I've read that people who run fansites have forced themselves on him in public places and he is creeped out by them. I would be, too. "

now, I have my reasons to believe that this poster is either a sock puppet of ardith's, or worse, someone with a clear agenda of upsetting the fans - either for the fun of it, or... you fill in the blanks.

this, too, shall pass

LucaM
2012-03-03 22:07

... but just in case, Ani, when you have the time, check what you can do about enabling IPs. just for curiosity's sake ;)

Anakin McFly
2012-03-04 00:06

ADMIN

Do you know the IP of that person?

It is strange that a board dedicated to a star in mid-career eclipse who hasn't had a real hit in years is much more lively than boards dedicated to much more popular male stars (Pitt, Clooney, Depp, and all the up and comers like Bradley Cooper, etc.)

It's about fandom, and also location, rather than how big a star someone is. Actors in cult films/series - especially sci-fi/fantasy - tend to have much larger fandom followings. Pitt and Clooney don't have very active fandoms because their work is much more diverse. Don't know much about Cooper. Depp fans are pretty hardcore, but their fandom is centred in areas other than IMDb (or, in this case, Topix).

They are passionate about a fantasy. The real man would be such a disappointment.

What gives them the idea that we don't consider that a possibility?
to quote that poem by ewinfic on (meeting?) ZQ: "...seeing not a doorway, but a man."
I like the concept of Keanu as a doorway. That's what I'm a fan of, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it fantasy. Keanu-the-person is only human, and I don't think many of us believe otherwise. But Keanu-the-fandom is so much more than that, and it's just as real, or more so, especially for those of us who'll never get to meet him. And for most of us that's what matters, I think.

this, too, shall pass

;)

KeKe lover2012-03-04 07:43

Forum Posts: 28
Comments: 0
Can someone pm me please?
Chiara
2012-03-04 07:50

Keke,I`m afraid there are no PMs here,but if you want to keep it private ,I guess you could send email to Ani.

admin@whoaisnotme.net.

I'll always remember the reaction of Keanu Reeves the actor when he received the Saturn Honorary Award...

When was that? Could you tell me sth about that?
nafsunaek
2012-03-04 10:10

Forum Posts: 491
Comments: 111
I just hope we won't be getting more of such posts here :(
May be I don't post often, but I do come and read what all of you say, which is always interesting. In fact it's become a sort of before-sleeping-time ritual for me! ;)
tini4
2012-03-04 12:01

Forum Posts: 140
Comments: 5
Chiara@
I may not be well informed, but he did not receive this award, only nomination...
ARYA
2012-03-04 13:07

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
The poster may be referring to the honorary taurus award. I can't get onto IMDB but they have all the award info. There might have been a Saturn award for DA? Not sure.
LucaM
2012-03-04 17:19

Do you know the IP of that person?

nope; Topix doesn't publish that info on the forum. I just wondered about the location - and the IP could tell that.

I like the concept of Keanu as a doorway. That's what I'm a fan of, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it fantasy. Keanu-the-person is only human, and I don't think many of us believe otherwise. But Keanu-the-fandom is so much more than that, and it's just as real, or more so, especially for those of us who'll never get to meet him. And for most of us that's what matters, I think.

me too :)

although... nevermind ;)

LucaM
2012-03-04 17:22

correction : it was the Taurus Honorary Award. and the year was 2004 :)
(I can't go back to the old forum to edit the post, so Ani, please, could you edit it for me? thanks :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHqp2-9qJwk&context=C3e034eaADOEgsToPDskIQ5DnVK6d28hCoNLYarMHr

Chiara
2012-03-04 17:34

I`ve just checked out IMDB and you`re right, tini4,he was nominated for Saturn Award,but he didn`t get it.

Right, Arya,the poster might have been thinking of Taurus Award.
Thank you both for asnwering back.

Luca,I`ve looked at the links you posted,have to admit I didn`t even know there`s a place like Topix .OMG,it`s completely crazy and I didn`t like it.
I like this place because it`s nice and quite so it would be great if we could keep it like that.
BTW,could you solve the mistery and tell me what`s on your avie.

EDIT. Luca, you posted while I was writing mine.Thanks for the link.

LucaM
2012-03-04 17:36

it's a chameleon :)

Chiara
2012-03-04 17:39

ohhhh,interesting ....thanks,I couldn`t even guess:)

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.