WINM Forums :: The Films of Keanu Reeves :: John Wick 2 (spoilers!)

1 2 3 [4]

John Wick 2 (spoilers!)
LucaM
2017-03-01 03:12:13

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13

"Helen might have a substantially larger problem with John being a contract killer IN THE FIRST PLACE."

I'm thinking she never knew. And I'm thinking she might have had quite a problem with it had she known, that's why John had to leave that life to be with her.
But I'm also thinking that, had she known, she'd have an even larger problem with John giving NY to Santino's whims to rule as he pleases, so to speak. And while John can't change his past... he can change the present and its implications on the future. Which he did.

LucaM
2017-03-01 03:22:59

I see it like this : there are two defining moments which seal Santino's fate: the first is when Gianna says to John ' what would your Helen think of this? what would your Helen think of you? ; the second is the phone call Santino makes to John Wick after the latter escapes the henchmen sent to kill him in the catacombs.

Santino went to John and forced him to become 'that guy' (John Wick). Gianna knows she can't escape John Wick, so she plants a splinter in his mind, destined to reach the 'other' John.

And after that phone call, both Johns have decided what they're gonna do. There's no way back :)

Of course, it's just my way to see things... everyone will perceive the story their own way.

allhailkingjack
2017-03-01 03:27:09

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14
Reviews: 0

Of course, it's just my way to see things... everyone will perceive the story their own way.

I always love reading yours, regardless of whether I agree. Thanks for the thought-provoking insights.

Taluthah2017-03-01 03:27:48

Forum Posts: 165
Comments: 30
I'd like to give Helen more credit. I'm sure she knew that John had a past full of unusual and indecent events. He was no layer or business executive. His body, his tattoos - I reject to consider her that stupid.
allhailkingjack
2017-03-01 03:35:42

Forum Posts: 246
Comments: 14

I'm sure she knew

That is a fanfic I'm dying to write, but I'm not sure it's within my power. Have to leave it to Ani, I guess. ;)

LucaM
2017-03-01 04:09:37

No, I never thought she's 'stupid'. But there is such thing as not wanting to know. So far, the story doesn't mention how they met, why their worlds were so incompatible that he had to leave his for hers. It would be very interesting to find out - but unless it's a well written story... maybe best leave it as it is. (Stephen King does that, he writes a 700 pages novel based on one line in another book... and while a beautiful novel in itself, it lessens the impact of that one line - but I digress.)
And this is not the 'real' world; it's a fictionalized universe in which both worlds exist but they don't really interact... perhaps that makes John an exception, too.

As for the tattoos... while they tell their own stories, they're not necessarily indicating a life of crime. The main one, "Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat", is meant to show in one second some of John's past; instead of hearing one character telling another about how John was a Marine, yadda, yadda, the director chooses to just show it.

Per Moviepilot: One of the most notable tattoos is the Latin phrase "Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat", which literally translates to Fortune Favors the Bold. This statement is used as the motto for the 3rd Battalion Marines stationed in the Marine Corps base in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

The other tattoos can have multiple meanings ( I've looked them up online) but unlike the specific tattoos of the Russian mobsters, which clearly indicate their status (just like the Yakuza tattoos, etc), they don't say 'hitman'.

True, they don't say 'lawyer' or 'business executive', either. Although...even in those cases, appearances can be deceiving ;)
http://stupiddope.com/2014/05/14/people-reveal-their-hidden-ink-for-the-tattoo-project-photos/

LucaM
2017-03-07 02:26:02

Maybe you don't go to hell for the things you do. Maybe you go to hell for the things you don't do. The things you don't finish.
Chuck Palahniuk, Lullaby (via thequotejournals)

saw that just now at tumblr and thought of JW2...

oh, he'll go to hell alright. but he also finished it. him.
Donaka would be proud.

MmeRenard
2017-03-07 03:37:26

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
I just saw an interview with Chad - I think on "Honest Trailers" (watch it, you'll see what makes Chad and Dave great "no, please, push us if you see something") - where he said that he thinks Helen knows but doesn't know.

Perhaps none of them are "going to hell" but are in a hell of their own making.

I keep thinking of writing and storyboarding "they killed his dog...THEN THEY TOOK HIS SANDWICH!!!..."

...John sitting sadly looking at his sandwich...

It almost needs to be at least a trailer.

LucaM
2017-03-07 04:37:58

Now that's a great interview and it even slips a mention on 'why' Chad showed those red boxes in the second movie...
Thank you so much for mentioning it !
MmeRenard
2017-03-07 05:07:29

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
You're very welcome!

Here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNQJE8eHjw

I'm not sure about the red boxes...

Anakin McFly
2017-03-07 11:26:02

ADMIN

Forum Posts: 3074
Comments: 405
Reviews: 1

"they killed his dog...THEN THEY TOOK HIS SANDWICH!!!..."

...oh no. they didn't! D:

oh, he'll go to hell alright.
First, he's going to need a cat.

1 2 3 [4]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.