WINM Forums :: Everything Else KCR :: How do you feel connected to Keanu Reeves?

[1] 2 3 4

How do you feel connected to Keanu Reeves?
keala2018-09-18 00:16:39

Forum Posts: 38
Comments: 0
Reviews: 0
Hi, I'm new here and sorry English is not my mother tongue.
I wanted to ask 2 questions to anyone who would answer:
- How do you feel connected to Keanu Reeves?
- What do you find charming in him?

I had quite a new interest in Keanu Reeves, while watching some random Late night show videos on internet...I think I saw an interview and was struck by the man...I don't even remember which interview it was. Then I saw the one done in Uruguay...I have seen some movies, the famous ones long time ago...but never thought he has this personality.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

LucaM
2018-09-18 02:21:39

Forum Posts: 4842
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
- How do you feel connected to Keanu Reeves?
He's a storyteller, I'm the audience. He tells stories - through the scripts he chooses, the performances he gives, then I watch them, try to understand them, then I watch an interview with him (and sometimes the director) explaining the meaning of the movie, of various scenes, realize I understood almost everything, and go "oh". To me, that's the connection. Understanding the stories.

- What do you find charming in him?
Everything
(duct taped shoes included)

About the interviews: yes, they do show various sides of his personality... sometimes he's funny, sometimes he's thoughtful, sometimes he's just playing along with the host's script, sometimes he refuses to... One of my favorite interviews of his was the Charlie Rose interview, about the Matrix sequels. But also the other Charlie Rose interview, about The Gift... and many others. Oh, and the John Wick interview when he starts 'performing' fan fiction about Neo and John Wick ... just love how he carries his characters within him...
and it's wonderful to watch him evolve. from one character to the next. from one interview to the next. revealing bits and pieces of his own personality, but never the whole picture...

keala2018-09-18 14:01:36

Hi, thanks for the references to interviews!
Is it only me or he could have done more interesting films sometimes...(not for all)...Destination wedding seem very interesting, but Sweet November and the one with Diane Keaton... :(
I feel like a great potential in his personality and his acting talent...that could be much better used, though I think MOPI, Matrix, Point Break, John Wick etc took really advantage of his acting and personality.

Replicas doesn't seem much appealing, at least to me... :)

LucaM
2018-09-18 14:20:11

I guess Sweet November sounded good on paper... also, it's a remake of an 1968 movie which I couldn't find anywhere to watch... I liked the idea of the story; the final cut, not so much... As for Something's Gotta Give... that's a Nancy Meyers movie. While the idea sounds interesting, her style does not resonate with me ( I don't really like her other movies, either)

I have mixed feelings about Replicas, too - the idea seems very interesting, but the trailer says average mainstream wannabe thriller... we'll see.

As for Keanu's potential as an actor... I think he still hasn't given his best performance. That's still waiting to happen, some day. In spite of the 'action hero' label stuck on him, he's actually a character actor, and he's really good at deadpan comedy... still waiting for that one role which would combine all that. (John Wick does, but only to a certain extent).

Anyway. In the movie business, actors don't have much control over the final product. So it's sometimes more interesting to look at an actor's choice of projects than at the end results...

keala2018-09-18 15:10:43

Yes I can understand that there might be important differences between a script and the final movie...but I think as well that now Keanu Reeves should be able to somehow make sure that the film wouldn't diminished his talent.
I mean some actors have been in most films that were quality ones in the end...

I wonder if Keanu Reeves choices are so "script" oriented...might be also that he is getting along well with the team and actors, or the author/director is interesting to work with...he looks to be somehow impulsive..

LucaM
2018-09-18 15:26:50

Yes, the director seems to be another factor in Keanu's choice of projects - it doesn't always turn out well, though. 'The Whole Truth' is one example. 'The Bad Batch', another. In both cases it was the second movie of an otherwise acclaimed director, but their second movies fell flat.

As for somehow impulsive - can't say, don't know him that well ;)

Freya
2018-09-19 18:15:30

Forum Posts: 777
Comments: 3
It is difficult to explain Keanu's phenomenon but maybe it is like in 'Matrix": people believe in him and more things are possible? Or maybe it works in another way? Anyway everything is charming.
keala2018-09-20 03:45:16

Thanks for your answers,
Freya, what do you mean by "more things are possible"?

For you both, have you seen Siberia and/or Destination wedding?

Freya
2018-09-20 15:14:29

Maybe it means faith, confidence, hope, love or such positive feelings but it is very subjective.
As regards movies: no, not yet (but I hope it will be soon).
LucaM
2018-09-20 23:38:08

Yes, I've seen both Siberia and Destination Wedding.
keala2018-09-21 02:28:05

LucaM have you written a review of the films on the forum, if not what are your thoughts?
Thanks
LucaM
2018-09-21 03:44:07

Nope, no reviews. Can't say much about the movies at the moment, because there are people on the forums who haven't watched them and wouldn't want to give away too much of the plot...

Siberia - I really liked it. It's Dostoevsky meets Shakespeare - but maybe it needed a bit more polish. Or a bit more editing. It still worked, for me. I loved seeing Keanu play a character who's not 'in charge'- but instead, someone who's in over his head and with each choice just keeps sinking even more... It's basically a story about choices. But I've already said too much.

Destination Wedding - feels too 'wordy', would have worked better as a play. In the beginning it felt a bit boring, then it caught me and even found myself laughing, although I'm not a fan of comedies. I liked its cynicism :)) and it felt good to see Keanu doing comedy again.

keala2018-09-21 04:52:28

Ok thanks :)

What about Ana Ularu? As far as I've seen, she looks acting quite good...
I'm just little reluctant with the Russians stories...I don't like stereotypes.

I think I'll enjoy Destination wedding, love cynicism and I think Keanu Reeves will be fine there!

Are there other films in preparation (not speaking about Replicas)?

Freya
2018-09-21 23:53:54

new ones: https://www.thecinemaholic.com/new-keanu-reeves-movies/
MmeRenard
2018-09-22 00:30:51

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Not knowing the man personally, he seems WAY opposite of impulsive to me.

Charming - like LucaM, everything. Just lovely in every respect. Except smoking.

And yes, the actor doesn't have much contro, over how the film ends up.

Nobody's mentioned "Henry's Crime" which I absolutely adore, and which he produced. Small, lovely, funny, touching, sexy.

LucaM
2018-09-22 00:44:40

Ularu's acting seemed fine to me, especially considering her role was a rather difficult one... Haven't seen any of her other movies and never saw her on stage as I live in a small town in Romania and she plays in the capital (Bucharest). I purchased a DVD with one of her Romanian movies but didn't find the time to watch it yet.

Not a fan of stereotypes myself, but as I grew older, I noticed that most people I know are walking, talking stereotypes :)) It's us humans that created stereotypes, not the other way around... so even if I don't like them, they're alive and well. Thriving, even.

All I know about films in preparation is what's listed on Keanu's IMDb page, and some of that info seems outdated...
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

keala2018-09-22 01:11:09

Thanks for the link Freya, interesting movies to come...

Mme Renard, I didn't mean impulsive as a directly impulsive person...he is a physical actor as he likes to explain it (though I think we agree he has a very deep intellect), we can see in interviews that he is much using his body and balancing, though he is seen as a very quiet and chill person.

He explained as well that he just took 2 days to accept to be part in Destination wedding (though of course he knew the film was recommended by Winona Ryder).

I do think that apparently quiet people can be very impulsive in certain circumstances. In interviews as well it is always funny when the host is asking him to tell the story of a film or personal story...he is suddenly leaving his routine to speed up physically and verbally...telling the story not always very understandable.
Same when he read the Ode to happiness poems (which I like much) with Alexandra Grant, i think it was in Europe, he just accelerated the process to finish quick with it!

He can shift very quickly, speaking about personality.

It is interesting to see in how many interviews and articles he is trying to tell that people have a wrong image of him and his personality, and journalists are rarely getting it...exactly like when he says he has a very boring private life...people are not ready to accept this!

Henry's crime, I have seen it few weeks ago, it is a nice movie and Keanu Reeves is not an action killer or sci-fi scientist...and has an interesting character there...it reminds me of older movies, at the end of the 80's and 90's.
But I still miss something...like a potential that is not used.

I haven't seen Generation Um till the end, just a part, but I think I like this kind of character...
Never seen Matrix (yes yes) I'm afraid by the very "unruffled" image he has in it.

keala2018-09-22 01:22:10

Thanks LucasM, what i meant by stereotypes is that it is difficult for me to believe to a story that is somehow "already written" at the beginning of the film. Like American/Russian, good-bad opposition.
I remember Keanu Reeves had asked firmly that some part of the film would be shot in Russia (don't remember if he said it or I read it somewhere). It is a nice thing.

I think that it was very interesting to see him invited in Switzerland for the launching of a Gauguin exhibition..a video of him reading Gauguin's texts (I think) is on internet. Would be nice to see him more connected with Polynesia...

Don't know if it is me but the more he is growing old the more he looks Asian...

LucaM
2018-09-22 01:34:27

keala - I've noticed that too, the way his demeanor changes when he goes 'off script' in an interview; I guess it depends on the host and whether the questions and the tone of the conversation is superficial or thoughtful, meaningful... I wouldn't call it 'impulsive' or 'shifty', but rather 'reactive'. Like his acting is more 'reacting' to the other actors, to the surroundings, to the general mood, to the energy around him...

It is interesting to see in how many interviews and articles he is trying to tell that people have a wrong image of him and his personality, and journalists are rarely getting it...exactly like when he says he has a very boring private life...people are not ready to accept this!

yeah, noticed that too... most journalists seem to have a pre-fabricated image of him, based on 'he played Ted', and even if they have the real person in front of them, can't seem to really see him...

I love Generation Um... , that John is probably one of my favorite Keanu performances.

Please, please, please, do watch the Matrix movies. It's fascinating to see Neo's evolution as a character and the way Keanu the actor grows and evolves through Neo... the way he goes full circle, the way Keanu carried this character with him for almost five years... the way he goes from cocky, over-confident in the lobby scene in the first movie, to ' You could've just asked' in the second to 'you were right, Smith. you were always right.it was inevitable' in the third.
These lines don't mean anything to you now, but if you watch the trilogy, they will :)
But watch all three movies, not just the first one. Only together they tell the full story.

LucaM
2018-09-22 01:40:12

Like American/Russian, good-bad opposition.

Oh, but you see, the American wasn't the good guy... he is shady in his own way. There are 'good' Russians and 'bad' Russians in this story, just like in real life... The Russian mobsters are not 'bad' because they're Russian, but because they're mobsters. And the Russian feds... oh well. they're pretty much like the feds all over the world, I guess ;)

Don't know if it is me but the more he is growing old the more he looks Asian...

It's not just you :) it seems the same to me :)

[1] 2 3 4

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.