WINM Forums :: Everything Else KCR :: How do you feel connected to Keanu Reeves?

1 [2] 3 4

How do you feel connected to Keanu Reeves?
MmeRenard
2018-09-22 02:04:47

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
The "right" answer to "how do I feel connected to Keanu " is, in some ways "I'm not" - that is, connected to the person in the Mickey Mouse suit. The more complete answer is more complex, and has a whole lot of factors.
LucaM
2018-09-22 02:14:55

Forum Posts: 4841
Comments: 381
Reviews: 13
Mme - so true, all that. My first reaction when reading the question (How do you feel connected to Keanu Reeves?) was 'I'm not'. There is no connection between me and the person in the Mickey suit.
But then, even before joining the fandom, I've perceived what I call the 'tango' between actor/storyteller and the audience as a connection of a certain kind... like for a few hours, we're speaking the same language, sharing the same story. Like a 'meeting of minds'... sorry, bit tired and can't find the right words. :(
keala2018-09-22 02:55:01

Forum Posts: 38
Comments: 0
LucaM thanks for your answers!
Yesss "reactive" is a very good word, I'm sorry English is not my mother tongue and I'm a bit limited :)
Though he said that if deprived of freedom he could turn somehow "violent"...

In fact in most interviews, and some actors confirmed it too, he looks like listening but at the same time doing something inside himself...I have always looked carefully, he really does listen very well to what is said but he looks absent...and when he has to answer little more deeply to a question...takes time for him to reconnect and put words out :D

But he seems very aware of the audience reactions...sometimes even more than what the host says!

About the wrong images about him, I have seen like an interview in China, the girl is asking him if he is using face cream to look younger....:D :D :D...sorry, I was so sure of his answer...but still he was answering very politely...

I'll go back to Generation Um and watch till end. And will go for the matrix...the story is interesting, but the very clean aspect of it is little reluctant.

Ok for Siberia then, when I'll have the opportunity to see it...

John Wick looks interesting...but all those guns and dead people...affff :D

LucaM
2018-09-22 03:14:15

English is not my first language either, so no worries :) I often read articles - or emails from my friends- and it's like they put my own thoughts in words, only I couldn't find them :) and go 'oh' then borrow their words and phrases because they sound right :)

There was an article or a review about Keanu's acting and the writer called it 'reacting' and it fit so well that I'm using it ever since ;)

John Wick looks interesting...but all those guns and dead people...affff :D

Think of it as a comic book. It's fiction. It's not 'real', the way a movie about war would be. It's stylized violence... I can watch it, because at gut level I know it's not real. I see it as mythology with a comic book touch and Stahelski's martial arts topping :) John Wick Chapter Two is basically the descent to Hades. And the fight choreography timed to Vivaldi's music? I could have never figured it out, but it's what the director did... it's priceless. There are so many levels to those movies, so many keys in which they can be understood, not just guns and number of kills... yes, they made video games based on them, but that's just the front layer...

...but still he was answering very politely...

yeah... sometimes he's too polite... but that's part of who he is and part of what makes him so charming :)
keala2018-09-22 03:28:29

LucasM and Mme Renard, what I meant with the question, was like what brought you here...not literally, but I mean some people enjoy a good Keanu Reeves movie and go to bed and that's it.

I think LucasM is describing somehow the kind of connection I'm thinking about (but there are many different ways to connect).

For the man in the Mickey suit...I guess some people are able to feel and/or understand much more than we could think, through movies, acting, interviews, videos etc...because it is the man acting, not Mickey...he is not 100% Johnny Utah or Neo...he is the man Keanu Reeves playing those roles.

Me being here is a very good example, I'm coming from Keanu Reeves actor/man public appearances and not from his movies, though I have seen some like everybody through the years.

As I said I connected (it is not mystical at all!) because I was struck by his personality. I have recognized something in him, surely a kind of hypersensitivity. It is not very difficult to connect to "the man" (as seen in public appearances of course), as he seems to be very true to himself and not hiding...he is so different from most people that journalists think he is joking! But he has a great sense of humor too...like lot of irony.

I think he is very intelligent as well, but as it looks like a different intelligence, I guess he just thought he was dumb :D

Keanu Reeves is human...he can't stop repeating it. You and me are humans...it is as simple as that. I know physically some people that are hiding much more their personality than Keanu Reeves is...and I don't know physically Keanu Reeves but have seen/learned some things about him.

It is very interesting to learn about his life's history, not in the Paparazzi way, but how he made it in the Hollywood system, with a difficult but as well very different personality. It tells also interesting things about the cinema industry, how films are produced, chosen, made...

Interesting also to address the physical beauty...how it can serve and harm...

keala2018-09-22 03:38:13

"yeah... sometimes he's too polite... but that's part of who he is and part of what makes him so charming :)"

Ahaha...great human values, high level of empathy...and absolute need to be loved (not in the narcissistic way).

I'm back to some Gauguin and Keanu Reeves...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj1YVgxm8bU

LucaM
2018-09-22 03:45:01

...and absolute need to be loved (not in the narcissistic way).

perhaps... or maybe a lack of need to antagonize people. although there are a few photos of him flipping the bird to the paps... that's also part of his charming ways :)

keala2018-09-22 03:59:43

"Reactive"! :)
LucaM
2018-09-22 04:02:32

surely a kind of hypersensitivity

yesss, that's the word for it ! thank you !

As for what brought me here... it's a bit more complicated :)
It started with the Matrix movies. Until then, I did watch whatever was 'on' when passing by the tv on Friday nights, but didn't actually pay attention... until the Matrix movies. When it just struck me. 'who's this guy?' meaning the actor. There's that scene in the first movie when Neo goes ' okey-dokey... free my mind' then falls from the roof. That made me think 'this guy could do comedy'. Went to IMDb, searched his page, read his list of films and sure enough, this guy could do comedy and he did :) Started watching his movies, then youtube interviews, then reading the articles found online, then a few fan sites, the now defunct message boards at IMDb... through the movies, I discovered the actor. The interviews revealed other sides of his personality. One thing led to another and I was hooked. When Anakin set up this page... I was already a fan :) And as I've often said, Keanu Reeves fandom is like Hotel California; you can check out any time you like but you can never leave... ;)

And yes, there's something special about the interviews... that's why I help Ani collect them. Perhaps it's the hypersensitivity you mentioned. And the irony. And the sharp intellect. It's glimpses of the man in the Mickey suit. It's all that and yet, sometimes when watching photos or interviews I realize I'm looking at a complete stranger. Someone I'll never know. Then again, we never really, truly know our work colleagues, or relatives, or maybe not even friends... there's always something that remains hidden... do we really, truly know someone? It's all, relative, I guess...

oh well.

keala2018-09-22 17:26:20

I think that the first thing we notice with the interviews is that he his very different from his characters...but also from most famous actors. Though at the Point break promotion time, at least, he was a bit hiding like overacting during interviews (or underacting :D...don't know if he smoked something!).

I think also that in movies we are more included in the story as a viewer...depends on the movie of course, and for quite some times (more than an hour)...it creates links!

We never really know people, we are not even sure that we'll never see Keanu Reeves..though I don't think I want to meet him, or in a specific situation, like for work or something.

Niki
2018-09-22 22:49:37

Forum Posts: 43
Comments: 4
To me he seems approachable and friendly in his interviews. The the guy next door.
keala2018-09-23 00:31:33

Yes and I do think he is approachable out of the paparazzi/crazy fans context.
Freya
2018-09-23 17:48:42

Forum Posts: 777
Comments: 3
Keanu seems to be funny, careful and also patient person and I always liked the Britons but the half-British would do ;)
keala2018-09-23 18:35:09

Yes, but I think unfortunately (maybe) that his personality is somehow difficult to handle...maybe even especially for him, a life that was not so simple, certainly an hypersensitivity...the difference that strikes us or attracts us is also certainly a difference he has to carry in his everyday life...
As he said himself, people say, journalists say, his life is based very mostly around his work and travels for work, or hasn't much a social life.
He has a very inner activity/world, he said himself he is an introvert with a kind of shyness.
It is well illustrated by the bench "meme" when he was eating alone...there was this sad Keanu buzz, but he looks mainly thinking/being in his inner world (though he might have faced sad moments in his life too).
In one interview he said something like...what was I supposed to do while eating alone? dancing, jumping?

So if meeting him, I guess it is possible to discuss with him a while and then...facing the man + everything that goes with...and this is another part...

There are chances that having a limited personal social life (I don't even speak about love life...but who knows) would be the effect of a strong difficulty, not being properly understood...not feeling himself enough this or that...feeling different.

As early friends said, looks like he was like this even younger, before fame.

I think he opens up himself a bit and goes back to his shell.

That's certainly why he doesn't understand how people can find him like perfect charming etc...he might see mainly in him all his "inabilities".

2018-09-23 23:36:02
[ Post deleted by poster ]
MmeRenard
2018-09-24 19:40:41

I just enjoy both his work and him as a human being. I find that too much analyzing is a little strange and ultimately not much fun. How well do we even know close friends? I think his work - all of his creative works, including ARCH Motorcycle and X Artist Books - are fascinating and very original, his choices interesting and compelling. He seems like a really nice, gracious, kind, generous man. Nobody's perfect, everybody has "stuff." I like him very much.
keala2018-09-24 20:11:34

I understand, though when you say "as a human being" it is more what we see of the human being through the media window. On my side, I think that trying to understand could help to have a more balanced vision, but as I said I don't come from Keanu Reeves "actor" side, but from interviews...which are the actor too but a bit of the man as well.
It is not even digging much in his personality, it is recognizing some traits...that are shared by other people on this planet.
I like that he can be fun or not at all...that makes him human and kind of take him out of some Hollywood stereotypes.
By the way his alternative activities are quite speaking about the man, Ode to happiness for example is very personal (and I like it much) and deeply telling something about life and and the darker side of it, though it is at the same time optimistic...
I find the Arch motorcycles also amazing...genius there (though maybe not very ecologic :p )...shows the huge potential of Keanu Reeves (with his partner here).
I guess that like most of us, he can be nice, generous or rude and absent...only that the light is mostly on the qualities.
I think that a lot of people are also loving him for his "stuff"... a successful man not really hiding his weaknesses in this world is a kind of relief...and very attractive for some women (though I guess almost all women couldn't stand to live with him!)
keala2018-09-24 20:24:22

I find this interview very interesting and funny at the same time...the interviewer telling him that he is sane...and his answers are very relevant...most people will think he is joking, because he says it in a comic way...but I think that he is in fact very honest and pragmatic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOb2YgRb6c
Starting 2:38

keala2018-09-24 20:32:36

And a positive note with this one:
At 16:20 for the question, and Keanu Reeves answer 17:06 :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l6hafn0AqU
MmeRenard
2018-09-24 21:08:57

Don't presume to tell me how I "feel connected to Keanu" - I already told you. I don't. I don't know the man.

I find your post disturbing - unless, of course, you're actually the Little Dutch Girl, still desperately probing the depths of Keanu fandom, in which case it's merely tiresome and predictable. Readers who are b,essedly unfamiliar those antics should note the "I don't speak English so good" trope as well as the oddly personal query quite unlike the less manipulative "why do you like Keanu?"

First off, it's not "through media" - it is through direct personal experience (none of your business), through that of many, many fans worldwide, through his work and sometimes through interviews. Interviews are very subjective, easily edited, often poorly translated. Did you ever have a bad day, when you didn't feel like answering questions? No? Wow, that's fascinating.

If you think motorcycles "aren't very ecologic" don't buy one, ride a bike. I know that's what Dutch people do, because they're highly moral.

"I guess that like most of us, he can be nice, generous or rude and absent..."

Wrong. Like ALL of us. And he's far less "rude" than most, present company included.

But the clincher has got to be;

"I think that a lot of people are also loving him for his "stuff"... a successful man not really hiding his weaknesses in this world is a kind of relief...and very attractive for some women (though I guess almost all women couldn't stand to live with him!)"

Cool. You don't feel connected with him. You couldn't stand to live with him. I'm sure he'd be devastated. The sheer psychotic hubris of saying "almost all women couldn't stand to live with him" is so insulting, so mean-spirited, so horrible ...I can't even.

Yeah, just bugger off. Sorry, everyone else. It needed to be said.

1 [2] 3 4

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.