Life is a garden, dig it!! ~ Joe Dirt

Lol

MmeRenard
2014-04-15 20:58

Forum Posts: 1101
Comments: 48
Reviews: 0
Quotes about the Shadow / "the Dark"

In the Christian tradition there is an emphasis on the shadow — the dark side of humankind for which each person must take responsibility. Exploration of the shadow is one of the most important goals of Christian spirituality.
— Lauren Artress in Walking a Sacred Path

In Eastern teachings there is a saying that everything that has a front has a back.... Energy expresses itself in polarities, in opposites.... We contain both darkness and light, sorrow and joy, the capacity for selfishness as well as for generosity, for cruelty as well as compassion.
— Diane Berke in The Gentle Smile

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death" can be understood as the walk through our own dark side.
— Tian Dayton in The Quiet Voice of Soul

To battle a demon is to embrace it, to face it with clarity of vision and humility of the heart. To run from a demon is as effective as running from a rabid dog, for surely this only beckons the chase. Whatever we resist — persists. These demons, these parts of us that haunt us, torture us and reduce us, are the agents of change.... Without our demons we would grow spiritually flabby.
— Stephanie Ericsson in Companion Through the Darkness

Soulmaking means facing the shadow, the dark scary stuff hidden in old closets, the unbidden and forbidden dreams, the alien impulses.
— Mike Grosso in Soulmaking

All from Spirituality and Practice.com. Good stuff for this week.

ARYA
2014-04-17 02:02

Forum Posts: 2836
Comments: 74
Reviews: 11
“True spirituality is not a comfort - it is a furnace, burning up your cherished hopes and dreams, your outdated beliefs about life, the universe, and everything.”
— Jeff Foster
MmeRenard
2014-04-17 03:12

At the risk of expressing an opinion, I don't agree. I wouldn't dream of quantifying anyone else's spiritual path as true or untrue. It's different for everyone. It has become popular to abandon faith, hope, belief, values as outmoded and unfashionable. There are indeed hopes, dreams and beliefs in anyone's life that can become stale, and examining those is important. That doesn't mean that we can't and shouldn't take comfort within despair.

"It can always be worse x"
We don't leave out the "x" do we?

ARYA
2014-04-17 06:03

I knew that quote would get some disagreement. I do love me some Jeff Foster.
MmeRenard
2014-04-17 08:51

There's a really good quote from some theologian that says that religion is meant to afflict the comfortable and to comfort the afflicted. I do like that. There are times when we all probably need to be uncomfortable, but there are also times when we damn well need to be comforted.
ARYA
2014-04-17 09:30

“The universe is made up of experiences that are designed to burn out you're attachment, your clinging, to pleasure, to pain, to fear, to all of it. And as long as there is a place where you're vulnerable, the universe will find a way to confront you with it.”
— Ram Dass
MmeRenard
2014-04-17 09:52

Be here now. :-)
ARYA
2014-04-18 01:22

Verily I say unto you, Since you have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me.
Jesus
MmeRenard
2014-04-18 02:02

Doesn't get any better than that, Arya! Thank you.
ARYA
2014-04-18 21:44

“The innocent mistake that keeps us caught in our own particular style of ignorance, unkindness, and shut-downness is that we are never encouraged to see clearly what is, with gentleness. Instead, there’s a kind of basic misunderstanding that we should try to be better than we already are, that we should try to improve ourselves, that we should try to get away from painful things, and that if we could just learn how to get away from the painful things, then we would be happy. That is the innocent, naive misunderstanding that we all share, which keeps us unhappy.

This is not an improvement plan; it is not a situation in which you try to be better than you are now. It is something much softer and more openhearted than any of that. It involves learning how, once you have fully acknowledged the feeling of anger and the knowledge of who you are and what you do, to let it go. So whether it’s anger or craving or jealousy or fear or depression—whatever it might be—the notion is not to try to get rid of it, but to make friends with it. That means getting to know it completely, with some kind of softness, and learning how, once you’ve experienced it fully, to let go.”
— Pema Chodron

MmeRenard
2014-04-18 21:56

Pema Chodron, a hard but very good teacher. Not comforting but confronting.
I was just thinking that I need to read "The Places That Scare You" because hey, here I am, right now. I can sometimes get scared for myself, but I get much more scared, worried even, for people for whom I care. Hello.

And Good Friday is pretty much the least comfortable day of the year.

ARYA
2014-04-18 21:59

I have read much of Pema Chodron's writings and don't forget there is a good bit on youtube also.
MmeRenard
2014-04-18 22:00

Thank you. Have not heard her teach but I attended a retreat with the Sakyong, very great stuff.
2014-04-18 22:35
[ Post deleted by poster ]
axie
2014-04-19 01:48

Forum Posts: 345
Comments: 10
The worst bullies you will ever encounter in your life are your own thoughts.
Bryant H. McGill
axie
2014-04-19 01:51

"Good Friday

Good for us; BAD Friday for Jesus."
~Axie
The Lapsed Catholic

Have a happy, nail Jesus to the cross day known as Good Friday. It is pouring down here. The skies have opened and it is coming down in bucket loads! So, those in rainy, snowy or crazy locations - be safe on those roads.

axie
2014-04-19 02:02

How long can you really be happy? Trying to arrange, control and manipulate conditions so as always to get what we want, always hear what we want to hear, always see what we want to see, so that we never have to experience unhappiness or despair, is a hopeless task. It’s impossible, isn’t it? Happiness is unsatisfactory, it’s dukkha….

Ajahn Sumedho,

Now is the Knowing

axie
2014-04-19 02:49

Life is a garden, dig it!! ~ Joe Dirt

@Bliss thanks, I do dig it. Literally and metaphorically! Love to garden and pick fresh herbs from my garden to use in cooking. Oh yes, I can cook, when it isn't a chore.

Bliss
2014-04-19 04:20

Forum Posts: 146
Comments: 7
@ Axie!
Cool, my sister has a green thumb too. I just like to lay in the grass..lol

I am stuck on the concept of intuition this week.

"Intuition is a sense of knowing how to act spontaneously, without needing to know why. ~Sylvia Clare

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.