UPLIFTING QUOTES for our day to day
2015-09-13 00:04:36
[ Post deleted by poster ]
Freya
2015-09-21 16:34:51

Forum Posts: 777
Comments: 3
Reviews: 0
'Be excellent to each other' (Bill & Ted Excellent Adventure} International Day of Peace (21 September)
Spirit
2016-02-01 11:17:57

Forum Posts: 155
Comments: 0
"It's better to light one candle than to curse the darkness." - not sure but I heard it on Racing Xtinction
christine2017-01-01 02:19:24

Forum Posts: 134
Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.
Marie Curie
Freya
2017-02-12 01:23:39

And when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achive it

Paulo Coelho

Freya
2017-02-27 22:59:37

the best is yet to come
Freya
2017-04-06 21:20:34

Better diamond with a flaw than a pebble without - Confucius
Freya
2017-04-29 16:22:22

Rules for Happiness:
* something to do * someone to love * something to hope for
- Immanuel Kant
Spirit
2017-10-25 10:00:04

"Even when the dark comes crashing through, when you need a friend to carry you, when you're broken on the ground, you will be found. So let the sun come streaming in, cause you'll reach up and you'll rise again, lift your head and look around, you will be found." - You Will Be Found, Dear Evan Hansen (a musical which I highly highly recommend if musicals are your thing)
Freya
2017-11-14 05:14:09

It's never too late to do something.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

good time with David Lynch during Camerimage Festival 2017 and his point of view about transcendental meditation

2018-04-16 05:36:25
[ Post deleted by poster ]
Freya
2018-11-17 22:34:33

I’m Mickey Mouse. They don’t know who’s inside the suit. ( happy 90th anniversary Mickey ).
Freya
2019-01-20 17:33:04

Neo: Well, that didn't go so well.
Morpheus: Are you certain the Oracle didn't say anything else?
Neo: Yes.
Trinity: Maybe we did something wrong.
Neo: Or didn't do something.
Morpheus: No, what happened, happened and couldn't have happened any other way.
Neo: How do you know?
Morpheus: We are still alive.

The Matrix Reloaded

recordofyouth
2019-06-10 09:22:42

Forum Posts: 8
Comments: 1

"Better diamond with a flaw than a pebble without - Confucius"

I guess the original sentence is more like this, rather to be fragments of a jade than to be a complete tile. Since the most precious stone in ancient China were jades, people barely talked about diamonds or pebbles. And the ancients spoke quite briefly and there are not many similar sentences.
The sentence was not said by Confucius, but by a man named Jinghao Yuan(sounds like "gin how yuan"). He inherited the title of his ancestor, the King of Chenliu County. However during his period, many of the old King's relatives with the family name Yuan were going to be killed. Someone suggested Jinghao Yuan to change his family name to Gao(sounds like "gow") to avoid being killed. In ancient China, the old royal family which lost power was sometimes regarded as a threat to the current royal family, and thus generations of the family were killed, even counting to nine generations. However, Jinghao Yuan refused to change his family name and said this, rather to be fragments of a jade than to be a complete tile, which means he would rather to die with dignity than to live without dignity. Then he was killed.
The story was recorded in the Book of Northern Qi Dynasty by the historian Baiyao Li in Tang Dynasty. The sentence is included in Chinese Idiom Dictionary. Each idiom comes from a historical story.
When I was a kid, there were not many books in my family, and I enjoyed reading the dictionary. Many of the stories bear the imprint of ancient civilization, and are not suitable for modern life, but the spirit is still touching until today.
Is there already a translation of Chinese Idiom Dictionary?

"You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it: I never saved anything for the swim back." - "Gattaca" (1997)

This is similar to a Chinese idiom, break the cauldrons and sink the boats, which comes from the heroic and tragic story about Yu Xiang, King of West Chu.
Yu Xiang and his army was forced to the edge of the river by Bang Liu's army. Yu Xiang ordered to break the cauldrons and sink the boats, and thus his army was determined and there was no retreat. Finally, Yu Xiang lost the battle.
There is also a Chinese idiom, the winner is the king and the loser a bandit. But except for Yu Xiang and Bang Liu. Speaking of personality, people regard Yu Xiang as a hero, a brave and honorable man, other than Bang Liu, who then became the first King of Han Dynasty. Historical records show that Bang Liu was a cowardly and despicable man. There are many poems in memory of Yu Xiang, asking him why not cross the river and perhaps return as a king again one day, and telling him that the masses of people are missing him.
Ji Yu, the lover of Yu Xiang, cut off her own throat before the battle. It is hard to say what would happen to women in the war, they never had their own choice. Sometimes, the defeated king's women may survive and taken by the victorious king as his own. Therefore, Ji Yu is regarded as a brave woman. Their love is memoried by the idiom, farewell my concubine, and also in dramas and movies.
I would not say that I approve of their choices, and historical stories are so cruel as a rule. But good qualities of humanity finally remain in our hearts.
usually2020-09-18 15:56:32

Forum Posts: 5
Comments: 1
It all depends on how you view your life.
Queen1822021-02-26 10:47:22

Forum Posts: 14
"Holding on to anger, is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die"~~~The Buddha

"Kindness to all living things is the true religion"~~~The Buddha
Spirit
2021-03-24 13:26:08

“It’s not about deserve, it’s about what you believe. And I believe in love.” “You can either do nothing, or you can do something, and I already tried doing nothing.” - Wonder Woman (2017)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

You must be registered and logged in to post on the forums.